Xavier Washington gets full offer from Northwestern

Harry

UPDATE, Sunday 2 p.m.: Xavier Washington told Steven Goldstein of PurpleWildcats.com that Northwestern currently leads his recruitment. His offer was extended to a full one no longer a "gray shirt." Expect a decision by tomorrow. Jared McGee has not yet been reached today.

-----

Read more: http://northwestern.scout.com/2/1371650.html

Oh to be 17 or 18 years old again and a world out there to conquer! :thumbsu:

Just curious and this has nothing to do with X's decison whatsover, but when is the last time Northwestern won a Big 10 championship? Or TCU won a SWC or Big 12 championship? Or Texas Tech a SWC or Big 12 championship? This list could go on with schools who really never win their league's football championships.

? And don't those aforementioned schools for the most part get the kind of bowl games UNT will get as a CUSA member beginning with the HOD Bowl who will have a Big 10 or Big 12 schools as the CUSA opponent the next 10 or so years?

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Downvote 1

Oh to be 17 or 18 years old again... :thumbsu:

Just curious and this has nothing to do with X's decison whatsover, but when is the last time NW won a Big 10 championship? Or TCU won a Big 12 or SWC championship? Or Texas Tech a SWC or Big 12 championship? This list could go on but I'll stop there.

? Don't those schools for the most part get the kind of bowl games UNT will get as a CUSA member beginning with the HOD Bowl who will have a Big 10 or Big 12 schools as the CUSA opponent the next 10 or so years?

'95 was the last time Northwestern won outright.

'95 was the last time Northwestern won outright.

And before 1995?

I know Texas Tech only tied for a SWC championship and that was it the whole time they were in the SWC.

I don't think TCU won a SWC championship since before Ike was U.S. president, but I stand to be corrected.

Yes, we can still hope we're in this race for Xavier, but bottom line is that he gets what he really wants and feels the most comfortable with. He may also need to look beyond the day he makes his decision and hope there will be no buyer's remorse with that choice once all the TV lights and cameras are no longer around but.......... I'd bet his mamma has already told him all that as most mamma's would with their sons (or daughters for that matter) in some of life's big decisions made as a young adult..

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Northwestern has an all-time winning record against only one team (Indiana) in the Big 10. I don't know, is it more fun being Ohio State & Michigan's whipping boy or playing in a lesser conference and winning alot of games? For someone that has publicly stated he did not want to be anyone's second choice, I would hope he sticks to that and chooses either us or Houston, but it is easier to say things like that than actually do them when a big conference school dangles a scholarship in front of you.

Oh to be 17 or 18 years old again and a world out there to conquer! :thumbsu:

Just curious and this has nothing to do with X's decison whatsover, but when is the last time Northwestern won a Big 10 championship? Or TCU won a SWC or Big 12 championship? Or Texas Tech a SWC or Big 12 championship? This list could go on with schools who really never win their league's football championships.

? And don't those aforementioned schools for the most part get the kind of bowl games UNT will get as a CUSA member beginning with the HOD Bowl who will have a Big 10 or Big 12 schools as the CUSA opponent the next 10 or so years?

GMG!

stop. When was the last time we competed in any of those conferences. Just make the right choice for you X

I appreciate how he has handled his recruitment. He hasn't committed and then jump at other offers like Davis or White or UTSA's whole class. He has been appreciative of each school that has hosted him, and seems to take the process seriously. With that said, UNT is the right choice X.

stop. When was the last time we competed in any of those conferences. Just make the right choice for you X

Never...but what might be the chance we play some of those teams in an HOD Bowl game since that bowl has contracted with the Big 10 and Big 12 for future CUSA opponents? X is a cut above and will make the right decision for himself, but for the rest of us will probably keep on speculating about him and a cast of 100's of other potential recruits for North Texas since that is what we do on this forum.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

X needs to understand that he won't play his first 2 years at Northwestern. If he is ok with that, and ok with being a backup plan, by all means jump on that Big 10 2nd division school bandwagon.

The much better football option is UNT. Hope he realizes this before Wednesday.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 4

Please. Look at our all-time record against some shitty teams, like SMU. And we don't normally win a lot of games, even in lesser conferences.

The amount of stupidity and arrogance from this board after one decent season in 10 years is amazing.

Most of our games against SMU came when we played I-AA ball. Northwestern has been in the Big 10 forever, and having a losing all time record to every team in your conference but one is pretty telling. It isn't arrogant to say we have a better chance to win more games in CUSA than Northwestern does in the Big 10.

• Upvote 2

Please. Look at our all-time record against some shitty teams, like SMU. And we don't normally win a lot of games, even in lesser conferences.

The amount of stupidity and arrogance from this board after one decent season in 10 years is amazing.

I agree 100%. We just need to find good/great high school kids that want to help advance this program. Be a super star here or just another player on an established team. I would think that UNT alums who own businesses or are key corporate executives in DFW would look favorable on our former athletes. Much harder getting that kid of love when kids return to the metroplex (and most do) from other parts of the country.

• Upvote 1

Most of our games against SMU came when we played I-AA ball. Northwestern has been in the Big 10 forever, and having a losing all time record to every team in your conference but one is pretty telling. It isn't arrogant to say we have a better chance to win more games in CUSA than Northwestern does in the Big 10.

For newer GMG.com members since veteran GMG.com posters may have read this already but:

For about 30 or so years most of the Southwest Conference did not want to play North Texas because (1) we had integrated with Abner Haynes and Leon King in the 50's so all of that SWC group drop kicked us off their future schedules because of our school doing the right thing; then (2) the Mean Joe Greene Era of the 60's gave them further reason not to schedule North Texas and then; (3) the Hayden Fry era of the 70's completed that 30 or so years period of time we were not on SWC school's schedule (except for SMU a few times & UT twice). NOTE: TCU (for the most part) only scheduled North Texas when they were in a win cycle and we were not---go figure. :rolleyes:

I can only imagine how UNT could have padded our "W's" numbers in our all time series with some of those Southwest Conference schools during that 30 plus years period of time. Shame on those who dropped us off their schedules, though, because we had integrated in the 1950's. Shame, shame, shame... :no:

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

Why?

Because I think North Texas is the best freaking school on the planet. I've had friends attend Northwestern, but it's not somewhere I'd particularly like to attend. And I've seen these Texas players go up north, and it seems a high percentage them are more than ready to come back to Texas after a year or two. And I think the football situation at North Texas is tailor-made for him to jump right in and contribute.

Xavier might think differently from me, he might think differently from you. But that's why I disagree with you.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1