If you owned the Mean Green spirit store

3XL

What items would you like to sell? What items would you need for growth?

Do you want North Texas Athletics to be bigger and sell more merchandise?

Yes...winning helps, but North Texas Athletics could brand & market itself a little better by adding "one" additional logo.

Perception is reality. If it looks better...it will sell better. This is about "sports pride" and better tailgate gear...flags, car emblems & clothing.

Attached is an example of "How-To-Do-It 101". The attachment has random merchandise & logo use by two of the best in the business.

That's right...I said "business". I hope that North Texas is not allergic to money. I primarily featured both North Carolina & Notre Dame because:

1) They are both in the "Top 10" for collegiate merchandising.

2) Both are "similar in name" to North Texas.

• replace words "Fightin' Irish", "Irish" or "Tar Heels" with "Mean Green"
  • replace image of "leprechaun", "clover", "foot" or "ram" with our eagle
  • replace logo of "ND" or "NC" with our letterman's "NT"

Out of the top 75 schools in merchandise sales, (Notre Dame ranks #3) & (North Carolina ranks #9).

I think we could learn something about marketing from these two schools.

Yes, they are both P5, but look at the way they use their NC & ND logos in merchandising. Out of the top 75 universities listed, over 90% use some form of a 1-2 letter initial or lettered logo in their brand management.

Maybe you don't want a baseball cap with a diving eagle on it or a "green light to greatness" koozie.

North Texas did not crack the top 75...but look who did. #54 East Carolina, #63 South Florida, #66 Memphis, #68 Texas State, #70 Louisiana Lafayette, #71 Colorado State & #72 Marshall.

The big-dog top 25 universities get it. They understand the power of simple & sound collegiate design.

What are we missing? What do they know that we don't? What are they doing that we're not?

Marketing to your target audience, branding your institution, recruiting young people & new fans are all part of the equation. NT has been branding better the last few years, but it's time to turn another corner.

Bottom line...big picture...it's about more money & respect for our university.

Good Design is Good Business.

3XL

Edited by 3XL
  • Upvote 3

They need to have more kids stuff (starting from toddler on up). Us dad's/mom's on here have more than enough stuff to deck ourselves in (thank you Nike, Champion, etc...). You look around at the few kids that have gear and its the one t-shirt and the one sweatshirt (which sadly we have to purchase at Wal-Mart and not our bookstore... yes I know our bookstore has a shirt or two but you get the point) that they all wear.

We get our kids use to wearing North Texas stuff it can only help mattters down the road.

The alumni NT-star would sell like hotcakes. Why in God's name it isn't being marketed is beyond me. I still don't know who's fault it is. But restricting the use of the logo by either the University and/or the alumni association has always added to my lack of respect for their business/marketing acumen.

A NT battle flag with the NT-star on it (replacing the single star) would be sooooo distinctive and sooooo North Texas.

BUT (in his best John Belushi rant voice....heavy with sarcasm) NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, we can't do that, it would "water down" our school branding....... <_<

• Upvote 3

BUT (in his best John Belushi rant voice....heavy with sarcasm) NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, we can't do that, it would "water down" our school branding....... <_<

The fewer logos you have the easier it is to not get people confused on who you are. If you need more than 1 logo to identify who you are, you are going to have some huge identity problems. I still see some internet sites still using logos that the school used back in the 90s.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

They need to have more kids stuff (starting from toddler on up). Us dad's/mom's on here have more than enough stuff to deck ourselves in (thank you Nike, Champion, etc...). You look around at the few kids that have gear and its the one t-shirt and the one sweatshirt (which sadly we have to purchase at Wal-Mart and not our bookstore... yes I know our bookstore has a shirt or two but you get the point) that they all wear.

We get our kids use to wearing North Texas stuff it can only help mattters down the road.

43591-THIS-gif-ECaV.gif

Was with my youngest son last Friday on his campus vist to A&M and while at lunch at popular diner...... there iin a sea of maroon....... A NORTH TEXAS Shirt! The only non-Aggie college shirt I saw all day.

There a was a huge debate at A&M several years ago when they went to a "Beveled" ATM over the traditional "Block" ATM. There was a nearly a revolt about it because the " Beveled" ATM was not traditional enough.

And you want to talk about/ see a confusing selection of logos? Google Image "ATM logos".

The fewer logos you have the easier it is to not get people confused on who you are. If you need more than 1 logo to identify who you are, you are going to have some huge identity problems. I still see some internet sites still using logos that the school used back in the 90s.

....most large universities have a variety of logos. The variety allows for the appropriate brand for a specific use.

(i.e.) The newest Oklahoma State University brand identity sheet has over 6 unique logos to use were they see fit.

*as far as internet sites still using outdated logos....sounds like they need a new Nick Burns.

• Upvote 2

....most large universities have a variety of logos. The variety allows for the appropriate brand for a specific use.

(i.e.) The newest Oklahoma State University brand identity sheet has over 6 unique logos to use where they see fit.

*as far as internet sites still using outdated logos....sounds like they need a new Nick Burns.

And if you were to pull the UNT identity sheet you won't see the NT/TN logo that you are so much in love with. Feel free to create bootleg merchandise at your own risk if you so desire.

And if you were to pull the UNT identity sheet you won't see the NT/TN logo that you are so much in love with. Feel free to create bootleg merchandise at your own risk if you so desire.

Lids has sold ballcaps and knit caps in the past with the interlocking NT/star logo . . . and they've sold like hotcakes. I've got a couple of them myself.

• Upvote 1

Lids has sold ballcaps and knit caps in the past with the interlocking NT/star logo . . . and they've sold like hotcakes. I've got a couple of them myself.

That might have happened before the university tightened down the screws on what gets sold. I think I remember a thread many years ago where Lids (or someone else) sold some merch that wasn't approved and it eventually got pulled. Right now everything sold on their site is using the current logos we use today. No interlocking logos to be found.

And if you were to pull the UNT identity sheet you won't see the NT/TN logo that you are so much in love with.

ding ding ding....thank you captain obvious

Let's see how can I explain it any clearer or in terms that you will understand.

(ie) let's say that UNT's current Brand Idenity Sheet is "Windows 8"....it's time to update, improve, modify & download....to "Windows 9"...still similar to "Windows 8" but different & little better...

Mean Green 93-98 said it best...please see his post

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

Let's see how can I explain it any clearer or in terms that you will understand.

(ie) let's say that UNT's current Brand Idenity Sheet is "Windows 8"....it's time to update, improve, modify & download....to "Windows 9"...still similar to "Windows 8" but different & little better...

Wow, you just compared changing logos to computer operating system versions.

I believe the UNTAA (which was back then called the North Texas Exes) came out with the NT-Star logo they use today before the new logos/word marks that the university/athletics use today. So to clarify, the NT/TN logo is actually older than the SoW logo.

Edited by UNTFan23

What you are proposing is akin to using the Apple logo on for the new branding. The other logo is owned by the Alumni Association.

Personally, I don't get what is so great about the interlocking NT logo.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

What you are proposing is akin to using the Apple logo on for the new branding. The other logo is owned by the Alumni Association.

not really...we are all under the green umbrella....we are "North Texas" people

That might have happened before the university tightened down the screws on what gets sold. I think I remember a thread many years ago where Lids (or someone else) sold some merch that wasn't approved and it eventually got pulled. Right now everything sold on their site is using the current logos we use today. No interlocking logos to be found.

Everything you've said is correct. I just don't see how this situation helps anybody.