Updated UNT FB 2014 Recruiting Commitment Listing

Harry

Also, another new recruiting website is one called signingday.com. It's pretty terrible and needs A LOT of work but maybe in a couple years or so it starts to become respectable. As of now it pretty much rates every big school commit at least a 3-star, but something ridiculous like over 800 kids are 4-stars or higher.

Anyways, here's our page. It only has Willy Ivery listed and he's 79.5, which is a 3-star and just .5 points short of a 4-star rating (80).

https://www.signingday.com/colleges/42901/north-texas/

It also has a few teams in our conference like Rice with just 0 commits. Southern miss has the most commits listed with 5, and 4 of them are 4-stars, so yeah, the website is pretty crappy right now.

https://www.signingday.com/teams/default.aspx

I saw that site too and yes it's a work in progress but I agree with you it has some potential and there are some things I really like about it.

I could also see HUDL morph into more of a recruiting service at some point.

I saw that site too and yes it's a work in progress but I agree with you it has some potential and there are some things I really like about it.

Very true. I could easily see them having video ratings. They could also maybe have viewer video ratings. Maybe not though. Rivals tried letting website visitors, who were logged into yahoo accounts, rate players on their rivals page and it wasn't a disaster but they took it away.

HUDL is just a means to host video and for coaches to pass game film back and forth. Kids cannot even get the game film/or make highlights without coaches "permissions".

Rivals and Scout? Is this 2006? We have an excellent class this year according to 24/7 and ESPN.

Better class than UTSA, UTEP, Texas State, LATech, I could go on...

24/7 has our class as 12th in CUSA and 113th in the nation. Also are those really the schools you are excited to out recruit? Edited by HoustonEagle

All I care about is how many other offers did the kid have and from who. Who cares how many stars some goofy Internet journalist who probably didn't even play junior high football gives a recruit? And unlike any coach we have had here in my 20 years following UNT, I trust Mac to identify and develop talent. This is a freaking fantastic high school recruiting class.

Edited by MeanGreenZen

24/7 has our class as 12th in CUSA and 113th in the nation. Also are those really the schools you are excited to out recruit?

They don't have all of our recruits listed, or evaluated. Maybe they evaluated them once over the summer but didn't bother to re-evaluate the kids like they do for big name commits. Not to mention we can't have very many recruits this class. We get 25 scholarships per class, and in this class: 3 of them are walkons put on scholarship so they obviously aren't rated, 1 is an FBS transfer who doesn't count towards our class rating, 1 is a grayshirt who doesn't count towards our class rating, and our 2 juco guys weren't evaluated.

Only 10 of our 16 high school commits are listed on 247. Our recruiting class is solid quality wise but not so much quantity wise. Unfortunately both go into class rankings and we'd be hurting quantity wise even if all of our commits were listed.

If you're going to complain about the class at least watch some film and do a little research on these commits (offer lists, evaluations from different recruiting websites, etc).

They don't have all of our recruits listed, or evaluated. Maybe they evaluated them once over the summer but didn't bother to re-evaluate the kids like they do for big name commits. Not to mention we can't have very many recruits this class. We get 25 scholarships per class, and in this class: 3 of them are walkons put on scholarship so they obviously aren't rated, 1 is an FBS transfer who doesn't count towards our class rating, 1 is a grayshirt who doesn't count towards our class rating, and our 2 juco guys weren't evaluated.

Only 10 of our 16 high school commits are listed on 247. Our recruiting class is solid quality wise but not so much quantity wise. Unfortunately both go into class rankings and we'd be hurting quantity wise even if all of our commits were listed.

If you're going to complain about the class at least watch some film and do a little research on these commits (offer lists, evaluations from different recruiting websites, etc).

Outside of your glib ending I thank you for your input. I have been on this board for close to twenty years and it never ceases to amaze me how excited everyone gets over highly rated recruits yet pan the ratings sites for all of the low rated ones. I have been a fan for too long to not realize this is the best coaching staff we have had in Denton since Fry. There is little doubt that they will get the best out of these guys and several will become stars. With that said a person can expect more. Our sights can be set higher. Not one of the four major recruiting sites has this class in the top of the conference. I for one would like to see that change. Edited by HoustonEagle

Outside of your glib ending I thank you for your input. I have been on this board for close to twenty years and it never seems to amaze me how excited everyone gets over highly rated recruits yet pan the ratings sites for all of the low rated ones. I have been a fan for too long to not realize this is the best coaching staff we have had in Denton since Fry. There is little doubt that they will get the best out of these guys and several will become stars. With that said a person can expect more. Our sights can be set higher. Not one of the four major recruiting sites has this class in the top of the conference. I for one would like to see that change.

End wasn't supposed to be disrespectful, just meant to say don't criticize the class without having all the information you need to properly judge it.

Yes, it's hard to judge CUSA class rankings on these websites because they devote very little effort towards evaluating these kids once they see they are not getting a lot of big school offers and they don't commit to one. But we have a very good class and a very tight knit one as well. Couple these guys with solid walkons we will continue to bring in, and likely a class that will probably be even more decorated each year going forward and things are looking great.

24/7 has our class as 12th in CUSA and 113th in the nation. Also are those really the schools you are excited to out recruit?

We get as much respect from some of these services as we did from fellow CUSA schools last year after our invite when you'd thought we would be "the new Slippery Rock U of the new CUSA." In other words we got absolutely.................NO RESPECT.

He who laughs last, laughs best" is one of my all time favorite sayings because who got the last laugh on some of the condescending toward UNT fellow CUSA schools of ours this last year? Hell, Marshall U and their fans cannot seem to fathom that we kicked MTSU's arse last Fall and last I checked, MTSU beat, uhh, "The Herd". Is it coal mine dust in the brain at work with that or what?

This: We honest to goodness finished last among all in one service last year and who was it once again that went to a bowl game which 35,000 Mean Green fans showed up to watch on New Years Day? How many recruiting service sweepstake winners got to stay home and watch us? I know 2 fellow NCAA FBS level schools here in the Metroplex who did.

:hair: How many recruiting services know we have a 4 star transfer from a PAC 12 school who will be playing in the annual Green/White Spring game in just mere weeks? Hows 'bout.....none? We also seem to be very successful with other transfers who have credentials when they arrive in Denton but somehow got disappointed with what they were getting (or not getting) at Big Time U.

:bling: I love this years class because:

(1) We have kids with NCAA FBS level speed if one will only look at most of their videos which proves that and...

(2) We have some kids who'll play on the DL and OL with size, good quickness and room to grow in the weight room with one helluva strength instructor on McCarney's staff who'll help them get that NCAA FBS level size.

Best part of the above 2 is that we have coaches who know how to further develop those who already had good skills at the HS level or even just raw talent and then more important........how to motivate them and mold them into a football family with an All For One--One For All attitude. What the heck else more do we really need than that (besides 9,000 more seats at Apogee to make it an even 40,000 since we now know we can get 35,000 area fans even after "1" winning season in a decade)?

There'll be some Recruiting Services Sweepstakes Winners who will once again get to stay home next bowl season and watch North Texas and who knows maybe even for a return appearance at the HOD Bowl game but this time before 45,000 Mean Green fans and about 15,000 Big 10 fans.

We are doing fine with this recruiting class. Hell, doesn't it look like most of the kind of recruiting classes we've seen most our lives as Mean Green fans as it is? Don't worry 'bout McCarney and Staff....be happy.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1

Rankings don't mean diddly... Coaches that can develop talent is the most important thing. Check out the 2008 class as an example. This years class looks much better on paper but some of those kids from 08, who weren't highly ranked, turned into studs that we would take again in an instant, Lance Dunbar for example. http://espn.go.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/school/_/id/249/class/2008

Point is, rankings might make us feel better from a fans standpoint but these coaches are the real deal and they are bringing in real deal talent, wether we see stars by their names or not.

• Upvote 1

The thing I like mist about thus class is the obvious character of these young men. Many are not only leaders on the field but in the class room as well. I think Coach Mac is very specific in what he looks for and this class is a prime example. Washington and Chumley understand that and will cap off a very good 2014 signing class.

Edited by UNTLifer

Ratings are about probability not certainty.

I think this is easily going to be Mac's best class. However, the fact that NT still is close to the bottom of CUSA schools in most ratings is troubling.

A good close could shrink that gap.

That line about developing players is only true to a certain degree. Wouldn't better talent plus the staff development skills equal even better teams?

Ratings are about probability not certainty.

I think this is easily going to be Mac's best class. However, the fact that NT still is close to the bottom of CUSA schools in most ratings is troubling.

A good close could shrink that gap.

That line about developing players is only true to a certain degree. Wouldn't better talent plus the staff development skills equal even better teams?

Just like we were supposed to finish close to the bottom of all CUSA tootball programs this last Fall, too?

We have a great coaching staff who can evaluate talent; who can develop that talent and then motivate them to be (once again)............Alll For One & One For All! How long has it been since we had such a team as unified as this one who just won the HOD Bowl game ?

We get strategic transfers from other NCAA FBS Big Boy U schools one of which who'll play in the annual Green/White Spring football game in a few weeks who had 4 stars when originally recruited by a PAC 12 school and then you have................THIS..................not one recruiting services (obviously) had that 4 star Mean Green football player factored in any of the last 2 recruiting classes, right?

:bling: I am not sure how a school with no 3 star recruits can be ranked ahead of some who have two or three 3 star recruits. Anyone want to explain that one to some of us who do not understand some of these recruiting services rankings formulas?

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

I've never understood the fascination with ratings and rankings in football. Basketball rankings, historically, have been more predictable and accurate. Mainly because of the smaller number of kids to evaluate with more games being played. Additionally, the extra exposure in summer AAU leagues. Football ratings have always been a hit a miss proposition ever since this crap started. Take the politics out of this and most coaches will tell you this is garbage. We all know this as well but it still makes us feel good during the offseason.

Year after year after year, on here and other places, If we get high ratings, the recruiting is going great. Lower ratings and they don't mean much. I prefer to go to a ball game to form my own opinion. Otherwise, we really need to wait down the road to make a determination. Ex: We now know that Todd Dodge and Dickey had some great classes (if the kids made it to Denton) We didn't really know that at the time and these services miss on most of them)

The Dallas Morning News also looks back at certain classes. Its generally 50-50 accurate. So, why even bother?

Edited by Cooley
  • Upvote 4

I've never understood the fascination with ratings and rankings in football. Basketball rankings, historically, have been more predictable and accurate. Mainly because of the smaller number of kids to evaluate with more games being played. Additionally, the extra exposure in summer AAU leagues. Football ratings have always been a hit a miss proposition ever since this crap started. Take the politics out of this and most coaches will tell you this is garbage. We all know this as well but it still makes us feel good during the offseason.

Year after year after year, on here and other places, If we get high ratings, the recruiting is going great. Lower ratings and they don't mean much. I prefer to go to a ball game to form my own opinion. Otherwise, we really need to wait down the road to make a determination. Ex: We now know that Todd Dodge and Dickey had some great classes (if the kids made it to Denton) We didn't really know that at the time and these services miss on most of them)

The Dallas Morning News also looks back at certain classes. Its generally 50-50 accurate. So, why even bother?

Exactly.

Not much of recruiting news but I hear we have another transfer guy coming In. Safety Chad Reese out of Wyoming. Could be a good plug in since Marcus Trice graduates. Should be good to have a guy with D1 experience come in, seeing as how coach Mac can't quite seem to recruit all that well.

Here's his profile:

http://www.gowyo.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/chad_reese_768700.html

• Upvote 3

Not much of recruiting news but I hear we have another transfer guy coming In. Safety Chad Reese out of Wyoming. Could be a good plug in since Marcus Trice graduates. Should be good to have a guy with D1 experience come in, seeing as how coach Mac can't quite seem to recruit all that well.

Here's his profile:

http://www.gowyo.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/chad_reese_768700.html

marcus trice's spot is going to Zed Evans... a transfer from LOUISVILLE which is a much better program than Wyoming... and who says Mac isnt recruiting "all that well?" especially in the secondary? idk if you have some sort of allegiance to this kid, that's great, but he isnt gonna just show up and take a starting or even second string job... this isnt a JC, there is legit D1 talent in the two deep at every position on Defense even after graduation!

• Upvote 2