Stadium

Why is my mentioning the deck and beer sales on the second page of discussions about beer sales a dead horse?

Rick

The deck is what you brought up. That's the dead horse I was referring to.

The Deck at Fouts served a great purpose. Something like it is all that Appogee is missing. I thought the AC Center outdoor deck was going to be it, then we blocked it's view with the video board. Need to somehow bring that idea back.

Rick

The Deck was replaced by the Club Level. The Deck was a low rent solution for donors to give money to the AD and feel like they were getting some type of perk.

• Upvote 1

I agree that beer at sporting events is way overpriced. That being said, have you ever attended a sporting event where the price of the beer was deterring the majority of people from purchasing it? Not to mention one of the groups we are trying to bring in the stadium are the folks who tailgate but don't attend. I believe that group would have no problem paying for overpriced beer because they are already too drunk to care.

The group that we're trying to bring in from outside is, predominantly, too young to legally buy beer...this the all day tailgate outside the stadium.

The deck is what you brought up. That's the dead horse I was referring to.

The Deck was replaced by the Club Level. The Deck was a low rent solution for donors to give money to the AD and feel like they were getting some type of perk.

Per RV, Hank, Cooper Jones and just about every other AD personnel I spoke with about it, the new concrete deck in the south endzone where several pre season kick off events occurred prior to Apogee, was mentioned as the new version of the old Deck, so as to be used to entice attendance and serve a purpose,.. that of being able to get a beer while inside the stadium. At some point during planning for Apogee,, that idea was dropped, and instead replaced with beer in the club. That was a mistake IMO. For a second year in a row now, and what seems like ever since our game against U of H, the discussions about beer sales is coming back into discussion by fans and athletic department personnel..RV included.

So my point is still valid, the old deck was great on two counts and something like it should be reconsidered if the university is so concerned with widespread beer sales throughout the general stadium population. It's a question that will continue to come up as we see more and more schools do it.

Rick

• Upvote 2

Per Rick's discussion of the deck and beer, maybe someone remembers more specifically the answer to this:

When we were discussing alcohol sales before, someone made the point that a good chunk of the schools that have booze at games were ones that used pro stadiums. Does anyone know/remember how many actually sell beer at their own (on-campus) stadiums? I'm certainly unopposed to the idea but it's bound to come up and it's best to have a decent response if the number is insanely small.

Per RV, Hank, Cooper Jones and just about every other AD personnel I spoke with about it, the new concrete deck in the south endzone where several pre season kick off events occurred prior to Apogee, was mentioned as the new version of the old Deck, so as to be used to entice attendance and serve a purpose,.. that of being able to get a beer while inside the stadium. At some point during planning for Apogee,, that idea was dropped, and instead replaced with beer in the club. That was a mistake IMO. For a second year in a row now, and what seems like ever since our game against U of H, the discussions about beer sales is coming back into discussion by fans and athletic department personnel..RV included.

So my point is still valid, the old deck was great on two counts and something like it should be reconsidered if the university is so concerned with widespread beer sales throughout the general stadium population. It's a question that will continue to come up as we see more and more schools do it.

Rick

Fellow Parker County equestrian, what is the present use of that large concrete deck attached to the Athletic Center now?

Of course, the first plan was to have that area as "Deck 2.0" but that was when the huge jumbotron was going to be somewhere near the Wing Zone. Seems like it was a last minute decicion to move the main video board to the south end zone instead.

GMG!

PS: U ready for another McD's coffee club alumnus meeting?

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Fellow Parker County equestrian, what is the present use of that large concrete deck attached to the Athletic Center now?

Of course, the first plan was to have that area as "Deck 2.0" but that was when the huge jumbotron was going to be somewhere near the Wing Zone. Seems like it was a last minute decicion to move the main video board to the south end zone instead.

GMG!

PS: U ready for another McD's coffee club alumnus meeting?

Scoreboard was moved so that the sound system doesn't blast the Denia neighborhood during games.

Scoreboard was moved so that the sound system doesn't blast the Denia neighborhood during games.

I'm so over those people..... They should be at the game and it wouldn't matter anyway....

I agree that beer at sporting events is way overpriced. That being said, have you ever attended a sporting event where the price of the beer was deterring the majority of people from purchasing it? Not to mention one of the groups we are trying to bring in the stadium are the folks who tailgate but don't attend. I believe that group would have no problem paying for overpriced beer because they are already too drunk to care.

My point was not that it would deter people from purchasing it, but that somehow the presence of beer will somehow get people into the stadium. The fact that beer inside the stadium is overpriced will be the reason that people outside the stadium will not come in. If you are going to drive all the way up to Denton (may not be a long drive for some) just to sit in the parking lot, you are not really that interested in the game anyways. The fact that the beer is 3x more expensive than what you have in the parking lot is not likely to entice you into the stadium.

• Upvote 1

I just can't believe that this really matters to so many. I enjoyed the HOD Bowl and refuse to fork over ridiculous amounts of money for aluminum bottled beer. It makes no difference to me. I am there to watch the game not drink overpriced beer. Enjoy your tailgate party, watch the game and post game tailgate while the traffic clears.

I just can't believe that this really matters to so many. I enjoyed the HOD Bowl and refuse to fork over ridiculous amounts of money for aluminum bottled beer. It makes no difference to me. I am there to watch the game not drink overpriced beer. Enjoy your tailgate party, watch the game and post game tailgate while the traffic clears.

I don't really care if they sell beer or not, I just have doubts that its presence sells more tickets.

Per Rick's discussion of the deck and beer, maybe someone remembers more specifically the answer to this:

When we were discussing alcohol sales before, someone made the point that a good chunk of the schools that have booze at games were ones that used pro stadiums. Does anyone know/remember how many actually sell beer at their own (on-campus) stadiums? I'm certainly unopposed to the idea but it's bound to come up and it's best to have a decent response if the number is insanely small.

ULL sells alcohol at their stadium.

My thoughts exactly.

At the conference basketball tournament last year in Hot Springs I was sitting next to V. Lane. There were two kids sitting behind us and to our right. They were acting kind of rowdy and making some noise. They both had a beer in their hands. V. Lane looked at me and said this exactly "Alcohol has no place in intercollegiate athletics." I knew right then that until he retired or was replaced, the discussion on beer sales at the game was moot point. Well now we have a new president, and a new person to pitch this to. So we will see what happens with it.

Beer sales will help bring in the average Dentonite. I have lived here all of my life and I believe this to be true.

• Upvote 1

Remind me not to ever hang out with V. LAME..... jk lol

• Upvote 1

Of course, everybody on this board (myself included) will be at every game that we possibly can whether there is beer for sale or not. Hell, even when there is beer for sale I will probably still utilize a flask. However, if we are talking about trying to pack the stajium I think that having beer for sale will entice the folks who don't want to get there early and tailgate in order to drink. I don't think this would entice anybody to drive from outside Denton to see a game just because Apogee starts selling beer. I'm talking about people who are in Denton but are somewhat indifferent to Mean Green football. I'm also talking about tailgaters who are recent alums or older students who might have gone to a few games at Fouts because they could go out at halftime time to refuel and come back in which is not allowed at Apogee. And while this might sound like I'm just trying to fill the stajium with out of control drunks, consider the way that tailgaters who want to mix alcohol with Mean Green football and can't afford club level seats. They spend a few hours outside of Apogee fortifying themselves with enough alcohol to last 3+ hours (which is almost always too much) and end up appearing belligerent by kickoff. Again, I think this is just another selling point for those who don't care as much about the football game as we do.

• Upvote 1