Cooley

If we count the DaMN State Top 100 list, Dickey recruited:

Booger Kennedy '99

Jonas Buckles '00

Jamario Thomas '03

Randy Gardner '99

Taylor Casey '99

Cody Spencer '00

There is a narrative that Dickey only recruited diamonds in the rough and only had one good class, but I never agreed with it.

Easier to demonize him when you can boil him down to one fortunate class. Nevermind that Todd Dodge, a guy who inexplicably got a pass from many (and still does), played a lot of Dicket recruits through his tenure.

Easier to demonize him when you can boil him down to one fortunate class. Nevermind that Todd Dodge, a guy who inexplicably got a pass from many (and still does), played a lot of Dicket recruits through his tenure.

And Coach Mac played a lot of Dodge recruits. Guess it proves who is a good coach.

Yes. He gray shirted.

Good catches, but I was thinking about kids we successfully recruited out of HS into our program.

I don't think Simon landed a state top 100.

Dickey landed Booger, Jonas Buckles, Jamario.

Dodge landed Riley.

Would Willie Ivery be Mac's first state 100?

Jaquay Wilburn?

Jaquay Wilburn?

I don't think Wilburn was a state 100, I think his Odessa Permian classmate Jason Kitchens was until he broke his leg his senior season.

Also, if we count the San Antonio Express News State 100 then Dodge also had:

A.J. Penson '06

Jessie DeSoto '09

So, State Top 100 Recruits straight out of HS:

Simon: 0

Dickey: 6

Dodge: 3

Mac: 0

I don't think Wilburn was a state 100, I think his Odessa Permian classmate Jason Kitchens was until he broke his leg his senior season.

A.J. Penson '06

Jessie DeSoto '09

I may be wrong, but I think Wilburn was in the Houston Chronicle top 100.

A.J. Penson '06

Jessie DeSoto '09

Penson was 07. Who's DeSoto?

Actually I have all the media guides from when I was shooting (~99 to first year of Apogee) I bet I can just look at them and go through the bios.

ETA: For three or four years the writers of those bios were two gentlemen named Harry and Cerebus.

ETA: Penson/DeSoto were both 07, typo.

Edited by Cerebus
  • Upvote 1

A.J. Penson '06

Jessie DeSoto '09

I believe that Roy Bishop out of San Angelo was also a DD Top 100 high school signee back in '01.

• Upvote 1

Now that I think about it I believe you are right. I remember being really excited about Bishop when he first got here. I am not sure what paper/agency named him a top 100 though.

Bishop was a DaMN State 100. I can't find the list for that year, but I found an article grading our class and calling him a State 100.

Dickey: 7

Dickey had six in one year, the basis for all his success. Kennedy, Hall, Ridgeway, Casey, Gardner and Buckles: I think. He later got Roy Bishop and Thomas; so that is at least 8.

However, it is not the same now; because circa 2000; all the major newspapers had their own state 100's. There was of course overlap but this added I guess at least 50 additional players. Also once the list was created, it did not change. Players like DeSoto for example was a local pick in a San Antonio paper that probably was far from a Texas top 100 legit pick.

Now almost all newspapers defer to Rival's and Rival changes their top picks based on who recruits them and signed them. So it is highly unlikely that NT or any other lower conference team will ever get more than a couple of state 100's.

Edited by GrandGreen

Hall was a lightly recruited and lightly regarded DB that played some QB. Don't remember him being on anyone's top lists. I remember posting his commitment on this board and his commitment went mostly ignored. I'm also on record as saying that in some games, he looked like a DB playing QB.

• Upvote 1