Central Arkansas (12/17/13)

CMJ

Not making a thing. Loser donates to scholarship fund. And I only bet what I can afford to lose/donate. ;-)

I just hope some of Benford's supporters (looking at Ernie, here) realize this wasn't the players fault this year or last and this can't continue past the new year.

Apparently Ernie has left at least the SFA and Northwood game pissed. For good reason.
  • Upvote 1

I was simply stating that this was a win Benford sorely needed after the embarrassment against SFA. Are you really disputing that?

I made it clear after the SFA debacle I'm through giving him the benefit of the doubt. He needs to produce and I think he knows that.

History could well show this as a WKU transitional football victory.

Unfortunately the same logic isn't shared by the likes of RV. In the end, most people forget about how bad a win was so long as it was a win. Right now, so far as the AD and the higher-ups are concerned, this is a winning basketball program...so there is really no need for a move.

If you are indeed correct (and, sadly, you probably are), then what does this say about our basketball program as a whole? What does this say about our own internal perceptions of our program? Is our pride and prestige so low that no degree of on-the-court embarrassment would be deemed unacceptable?

So, what will it take for RV to say, "This stops now"? Will we have to finish the season with a 300+ RPI? We should be looking forward to conference play at this point, but instead I'm fearing the possibility of enduring more than one 40+ point beat down.

Unfortunately the same logic isn't shared by the likes of RV. In the end, most people forget about how bad a win was so long as it was a win. Right now, so far as the AD and the higher-ups are concerned, this is a winning basketball program...so there is really no need for a move.

Bingo. Folks we have ourselves a winner!

I was simply stating that this was a win Benford sorely needed after the embarrassment against SFA. Are you really disputing that?

I made it clear after the SFA debacle I'm through giving him the benefit of the doubt. He needs to produce and I think he knows that.

Not really disputing that Benford needed a win. Just that it doesn't, for me anyway, serve as much of a band aid. It was a win over a team we should have handled easily. I really feel bad for the guys getting saddled with him. And I fear, based on comments he's made to Vito, that he's installing the wrong type of attitude in the players. Us against the fans. I think most of us want this team to win and don't want this program destroyed after where we've been. Edited by filmerj

Attendance for the game was 3,664 and so far is the high water mark for the season. I don't have a strong feeling we'll beat that number either.

Damn, that's horrible. Can't pay students to go to the games anymore, either. It's like RV doesn't get it. I miss the days of a full Pit Crew, chants, signs, basketball band going back and forth with the students, heckling the away team...Benford just KILLED the Pit Crew.

Not really disputing that Benford needed a win. Just that it doesn't, for me anyway, serve as much of a band aid. I really feel bad for the guys getting saddled with him.

Exactly. These wins are what I meant by saying we're in basketball purgatory. They still count as a win so, as Censored by Laurie said, the BOR and RV can say "look, we have a winning record," so they don't have to fire him. But we obviously aren't a winning team and we get embarrassed every time we play a real D1 team.

Say what you want but this was a MUCH needed win for Benford. Not pretty but sort of acts as a bandage from the deep wound of the SFA drubbing. Had we lost this game things could have REALLY gotten out of hand. Still not happy about things but calling it as I see it. This keeps the Hyenas at bay until the next game at least...

Band aid on a point blank shotgun wound.

Damn, that's horrible. Can't pay students to go to the games anymore, either. It's like RV doesn't get it. I miss the days of a full Pit Crew, chants, signs, basketball band going back and forth with the students, heckling the away team...Benford just KILLED the Pit Crew.

It's Christmas break.... Students do not generally show up to these games... Granted the student out has fallen as the year has gone on.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

It's Christmas break.... Students do not generally show up to these games... Granted the student out has fallen as the year has gone on.

Student attendance was bad back in November. CUSA conference games might see a small increase but I doubt we'll crack the 3k mark again this season.

I think we're in for some more bad games at home (see my post above). CUSA is a definite step above the Sun Belt in terms of the quality of teams we'll be playing this season.

Edited by UNTFan23

This was a HUGE game and a HUGE win guys. With this win we are wrapping our season up with a .800 win percentage in conference (4-1), now we only have to play the remaining OOC slate and we'll be set up really well for the conference tourney!

What? what do you mean when you say we are NOT in the southland conference???

• Upvote 2

Exactly. Even during the best of the Johhny era, NOBODY showed up during Xmas break.

The dorms are closed, there's no class, everyone who lives off campus is home for the holidays or at work to pay for the Spring, so quit with the bitching about student attendance until the Spring semester starts. Once school starts back up then we can talk all we want about how few people give a crap about Benfordball. :thumbsu: