MLB - Zach Orr

RT - LaChris Anyiam

TE - Drew Miller

WR - Darnell Smith

WR - Brelan Chancellor

H-Back/TE - Daniel Prior

QB - Derek Thompson

RB - Brandin Byrd

Will be happy to have the third game of the season be a chance for the new starters to gel a little more before beginning the C-USA schedule. Six of the front seven on defense will be new. And, the offense loses the trio of fellows who have assaulted the UNT record books in Chancellor, Thompson,and Bryd.

So, yes...give me Nichols State. And, if we can afford it, do what Kansas State and Texas Tech often did - schedule two FCS schools, if possible for next season only!

Yes. But we get back Austin Orr, Alexander Lincoln, Quenton Brown, Chad Polk, and Daryl Mason. In addition, we have Wallace in at linebacker, along with Akunne and Marshall, Scott and Ellis. We also will see new and improved, Wallace, Watson, Malik, Moore and Flusche, not to mention several high school and JC signees. It is not as though we will be completely depleted. The newcomers will just need to step up.

UNT90's complaint has always been about 2015.

I just looked at 2015 from a link on some other thread. I believe 2015 has us @SMU, @Iowa, and @Tennessee. SMU and Iowa are multi-year deals, Tennessee is a paycheck. So how do you get out of one of those?

On the plus side, if we continue the upswing, and Tennessee continues to languish, that has potential to be our first body bag game win in a long, long, long time. It'll warm the cockles of Plumm's heart as he gets to relive the days of HE WHO WALKED ON WATER one more time.

• Upvote 1

I just looked at 2015 from a link on some other thread. I believe 2015 has us @SMU, @Iowa, and @Tennessee. SMU and Iowa are multi-year deals, Tennessee is a paycheck. So how do you get out of one of those?

On the plus side, if we continue the upswing, and Tennessee continues to languish, that has potential to be our first body bag game win in a long, long, long time. It'll warm the cockles of Plumm's heart as he gets to relive the days of HE WHO WALKED ON WATER one more time.

Can't believe that we couldn't had at least worked out a 2 for 1 with Iowa. Looks like a 5 at home is pretty much etched in stone for 2015 unless Iowa has flexibility and the desire to play in North Texas at some point.

2015 is the only year that I see a true pickle that probably can't be gotten out of. If the AD does indeed present SMU as an alternate site home game, then I'll expect two tickets of equal or greater value at Ford Field with parking pass. But since there are probably more UNT season ticket holders than there are SMU fans, I don't see that happening. We're gonna have to suck it up for a year.

But really, I don't see how 2016-2018 are problems. 2016-2017 we'll buy games with lesser programs. 2018 and beyond, it opens up. And really, I don't want us hosting Oklahoma unless we think we've got a realistic chance of beating them. I ruh-heally don't care to witness a 70-7 beatdown at home. I saw enough of that during the era of the oracle.

Problem is we already did that for a year last year. Look, this year is proof positive if you have at least 6 home games and one of them is a gimme (Idaho) then your team can get some wins, get some momentum and we have record attendance.

Well, I'm not really opining. I really don't see how they would get six games in 2015. I can't control that.

God grant me the serenity

to accept the things I cannot change;

courage to change the things I can;

and wisdom to know the difference.

• Upvote 3

The 2 Iowa games are also paycheck games. We happen to have 2 of them in 2015 (Iowa and Tennessee). For those that dream of 2 for 1 games, those might be the biggest schedule destroyers because you have to play 2 away games without getting paid and you get one game at home where you hope to draw an additional 8,000 fans. Meanwhile in the other year you either have to pay for a game out of pocket or have 5 home games. All while not receiving a paycheck.

In terms of OU playing at Tulsa, there is strong political pressure on OU/OSU to play series with Tulsa for the benefit of Tulsa. North Texas is not so lucky.

At the end of the day I realize the reasons all sound like excuses, but reality is that until the alumni and students start selling out the stadium, or we receive a large enough check from our conference, the paycheck games will continue.

If you want to witness an upcoming schedule meltdown, keep an eye on UTSA. They have signed multiple 2 for 1 agreements with AQ schools. On the surface it has been great because everyone is seeing a couple of nice seasons where they have AQ schools playing in SA. They will soon be in schedule hell, like most non AQ schools and will have seasons with nothing but road games at AQ schools and the prospect of having to try and pay some FCS schools to come play in order to have more than 4 home games.

• Upvote 1

The 2 Iowa games are also paycheck games. We happen to have 2 of them in 2015 (Iowa and Tennessee). For those that dream of 2 for 1 games, those might be the biggest schedule destroyers because you have to play 2 away games without getting paid and you get one game at home where you hope to draw an additional 8,000 fans. Meanwhile in the other year you either have to pay for a game out of pocket or have 5 home games. All while not receiving a paycheck.

In terms of OU playing at Tulsa, there is strong political pressure on OU/OSU to play series with Tulsa for the benefit of Tulsa. North Texas is not so lucky.

At the end of the day I realize the reasons all sound like excuses, but reality is that until the alumni and students start selling out the stadium, or we receive a large enough check from our conference, the paycheck games will continue.

If you want to witness an upcoming schedule meltdown, keep an eye on UTSA. They have signed multiple 2 for 1 agreements with AQ schools. On the surface it has been great because everyone is seeing a couple of nice seasons where they have AQ schools playing in SA. They will soon be in schedule hell, like most non AQ schools and will have seasons with nothing but road games at AQ schools and the prospect of having to try and pay some FCS schools to come play in order to have more than 4 home games.

UTSA can do that as if the bring a big name school into the Alamo dome, and sell it out, that is an additional 40,000 tickets sold.. So it makes up what they were going to get.. If we do it, then we get an additional 6,000-10,000 fans, and do not gain the same financial return.

Bravo to the AD for buying a gane. Need to do it 2 or 3 more times to get out of the scheduling hole the AD has put us in.

Since you are an extremely myopic, reactionary rah rah kind of guy, please look at the below link:

http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa-15/conf-usa/2015-north-texas-mean-green-football-schedule.php

Don't be surprised when the AD tries to tell you that the at SMU game is actually "an alternative sight home game."

But don't stop there, my myopic minion, take a look at 2016, 2017, and 2018 and you will realize the scheduling pickle we have gotten ourselves into.

Oh, and guess who is hosting OU next year? That would be Tulsa. That's right, Tulsa. In that quaint but tiny stadium of theirs. I guess OU wants to play in that hotbed of north Oklahoma recruiting.

Meanwhile, we are told to be happy with Houston as a "marque" home game.

Scheduling football. One of the worst things this AD does.

I'm pretty much right with UNT90 on all things scheduling. But, I will say this about Tulsa hosting Oklahoma. Tulsa hosts Oklahoma a lot--its kind of OUs way of pleasing their Tulsa alums and fans with a game up there every so often. Its similar to Texas playing Rice in Houston, Tech playing at SMU, or LSU playing Tulane in New Orleans--all of which have occured multiple times over the last 20+ years.

As far as buying a home game against NIcholls State, that's fine. The situation is what it is--we need an extra home game, so we have to buy one, since we ourselves allow our football to be a bought program for a money game at an SEC/Big XII powerhouse every year, or at least until we play at Iowa in 2017. The SMU game in 2015 will be called an "alternative home game" by the AD, so that is what we may also get in 2017, as well, if we get another bodybag game at Traditional Southern AQ Powerhouse Full of Speedy NFL Athletes, probably OU, since we haven't played them lately on the carousel of bodybag games. Again, the AD would be able to conveniently say, "Although we aren't playing 6 home games this year, we will have two games well within driving distance for our fans for OOC games--@ SMU and @ OU." If not, then in 2017, we may get another Idaho, Nicholls State, or NMSU team in Apogee for our buyout game.

Its fine, I suppose, to have SMU and Army as your marquee home games in OOC, but when we built Apogee, we were told that we could finally host bigger named teams because our facilities would be able to host them comfortably (without making the visitors stay in a dumpster of a locker room or without a stadium that was a toilet ). Teams that people want to come and see because they are opportunity games at home. I get that the Big XII teams have lots of exposure now in the Metroplex, from playing at TCU or playing games at the Cotton Bowl and at Jerry World. When you mix in games that SMU hosts at Ford with Tech, Baylor, or A&M, it makes it tough to believe that we would logically get many of those teams top play here. But I've always maintained that Oklahoma State would be a great team to play here, since they don't have annual games here in the area. Then, you look at K-State, Kansas, Iowa State, Mizzou, Nebraska, and Colorado and ask them if they want to come down here and get some exposure to the Texas HS talent that they don't get in front of as much anymore, especially Nebraska, Colorado, and Mizzou. It just seems too logical to me, which is why it probably won't ever happen. If none of those teams will do an even series with us, then go ask one of the Arizona schools or Utah or BYU to come over here. Do the same thing for the Mississippi schools or Vandy or Kentucky. Hell, call Miami and set up a series with them--their attendance is terrible anyway. Call Georgia Tech or Louisville. IOW, there are a lot of AQ teams who would be willing to come here if those close by won't, since it might hurt their prestige if they had to play a game in, gulp, Denton. I guess the main point here is that SMU and Army are terrific OOC opponents--but they aren't marquee opponents, or at least shouldn't be thought of that way, to me. They would make perfect complimentary opponents to another higher profile school. PLus, you then deliver on your promise to the season ticket holders--to give them a better facility to watch the Mean Green play against better competition than what Fouts provided. Because Fouts was more than capable of hosting SMU and Army.

• Upvote 5

Its fine, I suppose, to have SMU and Army as your marquee home games in OOC, but when we built Apogee, we were told that we could finally host bigger named teams because our facilities would be able to host them comfortably (without making the visitors stay in a dumpster of a locker room or without a stadium that was a toilet ). Teams that people want to come and see because they are opportunity games at home.

There really has been no significant improvement in home opponents due to Apogee. Unless Apogee made the difference between being invited to C-USA and being left out, which ultimately I doubt it did.

There really has been no significant improvement in home opponents due to Apogee. Unless Apogee made the difference between being invited to C-USA and being left out, which ultimately I doubt it did.

I think Apogee probably was the icing on the cake for us being invited to take SMU's place in CUSA, but if it hadn't been built yet, we still would have been invited if we had those plans in motion like we did after 2008.

But I've always maintained that Oklahoma State would be a great team to play here, since they don't have annual games here in the area. Then, you look at K-State, Kansas, Iowa State, Mizzou, Nebraska, and Colorado and ask them if they want to come down here and get some exposure to the Texas HS talent that they don't get in front of as much anymore, especially Nebraska, Colorado, and Mizzou. It just seems too logical to me, which is why it probably won't ever happen. If none of those teams will do an even series with us, then go ask one of the Arizona schools or Utah or BYU to come over here. Do the same thing for the Mississippi schools or Vandy or Kentucky. Call Georgia Tech or Louisville. IOW, there are a lot of AQ teams who would be willing to come here if those close by won't, since it might hurt their prestige if they had to play a game in, gulp, Denton. I guess the main point here is that SMU and Army are terrific OOC opponents--but they aren't marquee opponents, or at least shouldn't be thought of that way, to me. They would make perfect complimentary opponents to another higher profile school. PLus, you then deliver on your promise to the season ticket holders--to give them a better facility to watch the Mean Green play against better competition than what Fouts provided. Because Fouts was more than capable of hosting SMU and Army.

Totally agree with this whole paragraph. I especially think we should go after Ole Miss, Mississippi State, Oregon State, Washington State. These schools have proven in the past that they will schedule home-and-home deals with non-big5 schools. Hugh Freeze, Dan Mullen, Mike Riley, and Mike Leach all love to recruit down here in Texas as well. Our AD should make this happen

• Upvote 4

2015 is the only year that I see a true pickle that probably can't be gotten out of. If the AD does indeed present SMU as an alternate site home game, then I'll expect two tickets of equal or greater value at Ford Field with parking pass. But since there are probably more UNT season ticket holders than there are SMU fans, I don't see that happening. We're gonna have to suck it up for a year.

But really, I don't see how 2016-2018 are problems. 2016-2017 we'll buy games with lesser programs. 2018 and beyond, it opens up. And really, I don't want us hosting Oklahoma unless we think we've got a realistic chance of beating them. I ruh-heally don't care to witness a 70-7 beatdown at home. I saw enough of that during the era of the oracle.

So you would rather play at UT than play them in Apogee?

Really?

Much better chance to win those types of games at home. Could you imagine what the 3rd qtr would have been like in the Georgia game if it had been at Apogee?

It also provides huge publicity for your program in the week leading up to the game.

You assume we will buy more home games. That is a very dicey assumption. We need 2 at minimum and possibly 3. We didn't do it in 2015, which will make 2 of 4 years where we only have 5 home games. That is unacceptable.

But, I guess we can continue to whore ourselves out for money and never experience a quality home game.

We have managed to destroy this schedule without a quality 2 for 1. We have managed to have 2 seasons of 5 home games in 4 years without a 2 for 1.

Yes, it does sound like excuses. As far as political pressure, I guess ULM is a freaking political giant with the teams they have brought in ?

So would I be willing to sacrifice a little for an opponent that really mattered to the casual fan?

Hell ya.

And at least San Antonio CC got home games against schools that matter for their scheduling hell. We got Houston.

Edited by UNT90

I still wonder at some of our math skills.

You play a guaranteed away game and you are either going to have 5 home game seasons or pay for a game ala Idaho and Nicholls.

I am in the minority but I had rather have a 5 game home season every other year and play a good team home and away series than buy games against fc teams.

• Upvote 2

I wish we could get out of the Ipwa series and replace it with a home-and-home with Iowa St.

Why? Just to have an easier opponent?

EDIT: Never mind. Yes, both of them being away games is ridiculous. Sun Belt teams get home-and-homes with Iowa.

Edited by Mean Green 93-98

If we had at least a 40,000 seat stadium and with how UT-Austin has most always been schedule-friendly with UNT and even made us the first ever G5'esque type of school to put on their football schedule as far back as 1976 would it be outside the realm of possibilities that we could play them at Apogee Stadium? I know, that's quite a reach for some who have been conditioned for way too long to think at different levels but............... have you seen UTSA's future home schedule lately? :(

UH is building their stadium to seat at least 40K and many on this board think we should try to act like them; even copy their Tier 1 Research Status success which they got before you could say..............Bill Yeoman & the Houston Veer.

This? If we don't stay on the race track with the hoss'es we want to race against then how we ever going to win a race against those kind of hosses?

GMG!

PS: Don't forget now that SMU has hosted TTech and TAMU at their Ford before you say none of this can be done.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Solution for 2015 is to host the C-USA championship for a sixth home game.

• Upvote 4

You can only apply one FCS win per season toward bowl elibiligity. So I would say no.

Is there something else about this, or has it changed this year? Colorado St. had a win over only one FCS program but needed a 7th win to become bowl eligible, which confused me. Maybe they played at Hawai'i and had a 13-game schedule...if that's the case do you need more than 6 wins? Is it .500 or minimum of 6?

I still wonder at some of our math skills.

You play a guaranteed away game and you are either going to have 5 home game seasons or pay for a game ala Idaho and Nicholls.

I am in the minority but I had rather have a 5 game home season every other year and play a good team home and away series than buy games against fc teams.

I wouldn't disagree with this.

But you know what would make me happier than more home games or higher quality opponents in Apogee? Beating the teams that pay us to play them, no matter if it's home or away. Get a few of those and everything else will fall into line.