Paying Nichols St for 2nd home OOC next year

greenit

This is exactly it.

Also, it doesn't matter AQ or non-AQ. Schools never lined up to go play at Boise State or TCU just because they were winning. They are not going to line up to play us either.

The schools I've mentioned are gettable. They are scheduling home and homes with mid-majors. If we'd played Kentucky instead of Georgia this year, and played with the intensity we had at Georgia, we'd have beaten them.

Also, you don't have any idea whether playing Wake Forest instead of Miami or some other big name school would hurt us in the C-USA Championship Game stakes. The schools I've listed ebb and flow. Kansas went to the Orange Bowl a few seasons ago.

The schedules I've posted are 5-12 years into the future. Any of those teams could be up during that time span. Do you think that years ago when we scheduled Ball State that anyone had an inkling that they'd be 10-2? Highly unlikely.

What I'm saying is the extra money we are now making in the new conference makes it less urgent to go get a guaranteed ass beating at places we've already been to several times in the past. Boring.

With the Monopolistic 5, schedule a winnable game against the likes of a Kansas or Kentucky or Wake Forest. We may catch them in a good stretch the way we caught Ball State this season. But, whatever the case, we need to keep making schedules like the one we had this season.

Hard to believe people are still on RV about scheduling. We've only had an attractive place to play for three seasons now, and schedules are made years in advance. There is no magic scheduling fairy dust he can just sprinkle over the heads of other athletic directors, okay?

And, look, I've been critical about Rick at certain points in time, too. But, right now, in 2013, it's pretty damn hard to say he hasn't gotten us pretty much everything we ever bitched about. The guy has answered the bell.

I mean, the only critical thing I can say about him now is that he ain't Jesus, healing the sick, causing the lame to walk, and the blind to see. So, as Jesus, he's a failure. But, as an athletic director, he's hard to beat. He ain't gonna be able call 10,000 angels to force UT or OU to come to the DFW area one more time after they've already played each other here and hauled their cookies to TCU and Baylor as well. Sorry.

We have known the stadium was coming for the last 5 or 6 years. It also doesn't explain the scheduling pickle that we are in currently. It also doesn't explain 2 5 game home schedules in the 1st five years of Apogee. It also doesn't explain a 5 game home season 7 years after we knew Apogee was coming (2015).

Part of the sales job for Apogee was more recognizable OOC opponents, with references being made to Baylor refusing to ever come back due to the visiting locker rooms at Fouts.

Scheduling has been terrible in what will be the first 5 years at Apogee. No if, ands, or buts about it.

Also, I guess you're not a basketball fan, eh?

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

We have known the stadium was coming for the last 5 or 6 years. It also doesn't explain the scheduling pickle that we are in currently. It also doesn't explain 2 5 game home schedules in the 1st five years of Apogee. It also doesn't explain a 5 game home season 7 years after we knew Apogee was coming (2015).

Part of the sales job for Apogee was more recognizable OOC opponents, with references being made to Baylor refusing to ever come back due to the visiting locker rooms at Fouts.

Scheduling has been terrible in what will be the first 5 years at Apogee. No if, ands, or buts about it.

Also, I guess you're not a basketball fan, eh?

Amen, bro!

You don't tell people they are going to get something unless they are going to get it.

UTSA has some nice future home games with the likes of Arizona, Arizona St, K State, Colorado State, New Mexico......

http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa/conf-usa/utsa-roadrunners.php

La Tech has Miss St and Bowling Green.

http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa/conf-usa/louisiana-tech-bulldogs.php

UTEP has Arizona, Texas Tech, New Mexico, New Mexico St,

http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa/conf-usa/utep-miners.php

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

Middle has BYU, Memphis,, Vanderbilt, Bowling Green, Ball State.

http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa/conf-usa/middle-tennessee-blue-raiders.php

Old Dominion brings in Eastern Michigan, Virginia Tech and NC State.

http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa/conf-usa/old-dominion-monarchs.php

FAU has New Mexico St, Tulsa and Miami (FL).

Texas State brining in Navy, Houston, Tulsa and Southern Miss.

http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa/sun-belt/texas-state-bobcats.php

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

So we are too good to schedule a series against a team like Texas State, but we should expect AQ teams to form a line to get to play us? That makes sense.

Hey, I am all for a H/H series with a non top 25 AQ team like some of those mentioned if we can get it. We have a long term series with an AAC school on the books and a mid term series with Army. Add a series with an MWC school, maybe a MAC school, and fill in with a wildcard in years when we can't get the desired AQ school. The wildcard could involve other schools from AAC, MWC, MAC, or maybe SBC, or Southland/TBC school.

TFLF, why were you only showing 3 OOC games in your examples, or did I misread your post?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

So we are too good to schedule a series against a team like Texas State, but we should expect AQ teams to form a line to get to play us? That makes sense.Hey, I am all for a H/H series with a non top 25 AQ team like some of those mentioned if we can get it. We have a long term series with an AAC school on the books and a mid term series with Army. Add a series with an MWC school, maybe a MAC school, and fill in with a wildcard in years when we can't get the desired AQ school. The wildcard could involve other schools from AAC, MWC, MAC, or maybe SBC, or Southland/TBC school.

agree Edited by 3XL

So we are too good to schedule a series against a team like Texas State, but we should expect AQ teams to form a line to get to play us? That makes sense.

Hey, I am all for a H/H series with a non top 25 AQ team like some of those mentioned if we can get it. We have a long term series with an AAC school on the books and a mid term series with Army. Add a series with an MWC school, maybe a MAC school, and fill in with a wildcard in years when we can't get the desired AQ school. The wildcard could involve other schools from AAC, MWC, MAC, or maybe SBC, or Southland/TBC school.

TFLF, why were you only showing 3 OOC games in your examples, or did I misread your post?

See the link below and see how North Texas could schedule the Big Boys when none of the Big Boys knew there was a Southwest Texas St. (which was their name for most of our 100 years of playing NCAA football). We've played many of the Big Boys before, so why we cowering down to schedule (at least) the mid range Big Boys now?

Heck.... we once beat Baylor, Oregon State and darn near Bobby Bowden's Fla. State Seminoles at Fouts Field--so why we saying now we can't schedule schools similar or a half step down from those? How damn strange all this really is. It's just more of this going 3 steps forward--then going 5 steps backwards thing we seem to have specialized in most my life as a UNT alum.

Nothing wrong with playing Texas State, but part of the selling points to build Apogee would be that our OOC schedule would be upgraded across the board and that has not been fulfilled as of yet. Plus we just left the Sun Belt so why gravitate backwards to playing schools from a conference we'd been trying to get out of since we joined it?

Indiana U and others similar were the kind of upgrades we were hoping for. SMU is a good series but we can't hang our hats on that for the next 25 years, either; somewhat like we seem to be celebrating Apogee's opening 3 years after its debut but forgetting that we really need to fill it with 31,000 fans ever once in awhile. (And yes, I know all the 1,000 reasons as to why "Excuses U" cannot possibly do that so spare me).

http://www.mcubed.net/ncaaf/series/nt/index.shtml

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

See the link below and see how North Texas could schedule the Big Boys when none of the Big Boys knew there was a Southwest Texas St. (which was their name for most of our 100 years of playing NCAA football). We've played many of the Big Boys before, so why we cowering down to schedule (at least) the mid range Big Boys now?

Plum...I agree with you too. (I really liked greenit's idea of scheduleing a series with a MWC school) My thinking is it's journey...we hired a quality coach, built this great new stadium, moved up to a better conference and had "one" good season in the last 10 years. The arrow is pointed in the right direction. We need about 6-8 good years in a row to gain more respect. No one is going to give it to us...we will have to earn it. (ie) Boise State, Utah, Fresno State, Northern Illinois & TCU.

GMG!

3XL

Edited by 3XL

I thought we were having nine conference games once the new teams join next year. If not, and we stay at eight, all the better!

If it's four then I would say, for sure, get a guaranteed home game to open every season against an FCS/TBC/New Mexico State/Idaho.

• Upvote 1