Props to Benford and staff

Wag Tag

Well, Combs isn't on the team this year.

Seems to be a pattern of defenders of Benford not knowing a lot about college basketball.

OMG! I thought Combs was skipping his high school English class and hopping in a cab to make the 7:00 tip off Thursday night! Darn! You, have now made me feel like a College BB expert!

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

Coach can definitely recruit! I would argue that this team top to bottom is more talented than last year. Combs is a complete stud!

Again congrats to the basketball staff!

Hope all you thumb suckers don't get to pissed! NOT!

I mean, the vast majority of playing time is being given to guys on last year's squad, so I am not sure you can say we're more talented now.

• Upvote 1

I mean, the vast majority of playing time is being given to guys on last year's squad, so I am not sure you can say we're more talented now.

Coleman,Voss,Walton,Vaughns, Alzee are penciled in the preview post as starters. I would contend from the front of the bench to the last guy on the bench we are deeper with talent than last year.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

Coleman,Voss,Walton,Vaughns, Alzee are penciled in the preview post as starters. I would contend from the front of the bench to the last guy on the bench we are deeper with talent than last year.

So tony Mitchell (NBA), roger Franklin (graduated, playing in Europe), and PJ&Clarke (transfer) out; Gaines, Vaughn's, and Wesley in is better? If you want to count TJ he was here last year but injured and ineligible. For that matter we shouldn't count Wesley this season then so those two are a wash.

(Did I forget anyone?)

• Upvote 2

I think what Wag Tag is saying is that despite his critics, Benford has shown an ability to recruit top players in DFW. And I agree. Now in terms of whether or not they turn out to be great players here remains to be seen.

What I have my eye on is Voss and Flash. Those are two juco players that we need to be CONTRIBUTING now... while I was pleased by the overall performance of the team against Oklahoma, I was not blown away by Flash and Voss although Flash got very limited minutes. Flash got his bucket slapped down and Voss fouled a lot although some of the calls were questionable. It's WAY too early to pass judgement on either but we need to keep a close eye on both of them.

Benford's biggest recruiting win may well be Coleman. That guy is still raw but he looked DRAMATICALLY improved against OU. If he can play like that all season, and not make stupid fouls, he could be an all conference type of performer in C-USA which is a huge departure from what was expected from him.

So tony Mitchell (NBA), roger Franklin (graduated, playing in Europe), and PJ&Clarke (transfer) out; Gaines, Vaughn's, and Wesley in is better? If you want to count TJ he was here last year but injured and ineligible. For that matter we shouldn't count Wesley this season then so those two are a wash.

(Did I forget anyone?)

Niko

• Upvote 1

OMG! I thought Combs was skipping his high school English class and hopping in a cab to make the 7:00 tip off Thursday night! Darn! You, have now made me feel like a College BB expert!

Words are important. Go back and read your post. It sounds like you thought he would be in uniform tonight.

I'm glad you are not that basketball stupid. We disagree on the coaching ability of Benford. We will see who is right in the next couple of months.

• Upvote 3

(Did I forget anyone?)

Niko out. Flash and Anefiok in
  • Upvote 1

I think what Wag Tag is saying is that despite his critics, Benford has shown an ability to recruit top players in DFW. And I agree. Now in terms of whether or not they turn out to be great players here remains to be seen.

What I have my eye on is Voss and Flash. Those are two juco players that we need to be CONTRIBUTING now... while I was pleased by the overall performance of the team against Oklahoma, I was not blown away by Flash and Voss although Flash got very limited minutes. Flash got his bucket slapped down and Voss fouled a lot although some of the calls were questionable. It's WAY too early to pass judgement on either but we need to keep a close eye on both of them.

Benford's biggest recruiting win may well be Coleman. That guy is still raw but he looked DRAMATICALLY improved against OU. If he can play like that all season, and not make stupid fouls, he could be an all conference type of performer in C-USA which is a huge departure from what was expected from him.

Ready for a scary Flannigan stat?

Including the exhibition games, he is 1-15 from the FT line. Yikes!

• Upvote 2

If we had a pickup game with the folks from last year's team who graduated/left versus the newcomers on this year's team...I'd take the folks no longer here. That's not to say we won't be better this year....sometimes teams just mesh/don't mesh. But we lost a lot of talent. People don't seem to remember that.

Edited by CMJ
  • Upvote 1

Coach can definitely recruit! I would argue that this team top to bottom is more talented than last year. Combs is a complete stud!

Again congrats to the basketball staff!

Hope all you thumb suckers don't get to pissed! NOT!

Let's start by seeing ONE high school recruit of Benford's get on the floor and then assess his majestic recruiting.

Nah, let's just be condescending towards those who expect results instead of "potential" instead. That has served us quite well in the past.

If we had a pickup game with the folks from last year's team who graduated/left versus the newcomers on this year's team...I'd take the folks no longer here. That's not to say we won't be better this year....sometimes teams just mesh/don't mesh. But we lost a lot of talent. People don't seem to remember that.

I'd take whichever team was not coached by Benford.

Just sayin...

Agree with you. But pick-up games are no indication of how one can play, or if they will play, in a team environment and against other teams. Just not a good comparison. Lots of great school yard pick-up game players never made it or make it to organized collegiate and/or professional teams. Just two different animals many times. Team play is much different than the school yard individual style of play.

I do agree, however, with you on the pick-up thing. I do think last year's team could beat this year's team in a school yard game...that is perhaps one of the problems facing last year's team.

Well, Combs isn't on the team this year.

Seems to be a pattern of defenders of Benford not knowing a lot about college basketball.

What did he say that would lead you to believe he doesn't know anything about college basketball? Good Lord, easy on the trigger.

• Upvote 1

Agree with you. But pick-up games are no indication of how one can play, or if they will play, in a team environment and against other teams. Just not a good comparison. Lots of great school yard pick-up game players never made it or make it to organized collegiate and/or professional teams. Just two different animals many times. Team play is much different than the school yard individual style of play.

Maybe CMJ wasn't talking about school yard ball.

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 1