utsa fans are proposing what?

DeepGreen

Apologies for inserting a non-troll post ---

So I've been to both. Whereas the opening UTSA game was a pretty awesome experience -- 50K+ people going crazy -- the games with only 25K or so are kind of sterile. The Woman noted that it just felt more alive at Apogee than in the Dome. It just doesn't feel like a college football game. Adding to the problem is the way the Dome officials try to make it like a Spurs game. Lots of arena-gimmicks and things. I'm sure a ton of that is necessary from a revenue generation stand-point but it sure doesn't a great experience make.

The weather can suck in outdoor stadiums, sure. But count me among those who feel that football is meant to be played in the elements. It lends some momentousness to the games that take place in inclement weather. Also, they are easier to remember -- "that rainy game against MUTS, that cold-ass game against so-and-so" and so on.

In the dome all the games are played at 72 degrees. It's great when you are trying to convince your wife that your kids should come, but the games all kind of run together.

I'll hang up and listen.

Edited by aztecskin
  • Upvote 3

This thread turned into the lame smack talk thread real quick.... Insubordinate and chirrrlldish

• Upvote 2

So I've been to both. Whereas the opening UTSA game was a pretty awesome experience -- 50K+ people going crazy -- the games with only 25K or so are kind of sterile. The Woman noted that it just felt more alive at Apogee than in the Dome.

Reminds me of watching Tulane's games in the Superdome. It's almost like watching a practice. I have no doubt that for some of the people coming up next week, it will be their first experience at a college stadium.

• Upvote 1

Apologies for inserting a non-troll post ---

So I've been to both. Whereas the opening UTSA game was a pretty awesome experience -- 50K+ people going crazy -- the games with only 25K or so are kind of sterile. The Woman noted that it just felt more alive at Apogee than in the Dome. It just doesn't feel like a college football game. Adding to the problem is the way the Dome officials try to make it like a Spurs game. Lots of arena-gimmicks and things. I'm sure a ton of that is necessary from a revenue generation stand-point but it sure doesn't a great experience make.

The weather can suck in outdoor stadiums, sure. But count me among those who feel that football is meant to be played in the elements. It lends some momentousness to the games that take place in inclement weather. Also, they are easier to remember -- "that rainy game against MUTS, that cold-ass game against so-and-so" and so on.

In the dome all the games are played at 72 degrees. It's great when you are trying to convince your wife that your kids should come, but the games all kind of run together.

I'll hang up and listen.

I concur. The Alamodome is great....for an Arena football game experience.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

While the Alamodome is not technically "our" stadium, it has been a tremendous factor in our attendance and recognition around the city. We will play in the Alamodome for the next 25 years, with the option to opt-out every 5. The Dome was not used for much after the Spurs stopped playing there, and I think it UTSA using it is great. The fact that it is located downtown brings in people from all parts of the city to watch our games, not just students and alums. I dont see us using it for the next 25 years, however. Maybe 15 at most. By then, our fanbase will be much bigger and it would become a more feasible option to build a stadium on campus.

Not if the San Antonio Jaguars exist by then!

Free? You're paying rent. Does your AD just leave the money on the nightstand after the games??

Ya, more like why buy the cow when you can rent a whore.

Being with whores gives you diseases (so I learned in Health class).

Great, we gotta play a diseased up football team and be in a conference with a diseased up football program.

Gives a whole new meaning to your product being contagious, doesn't it?

• Upvote 2

Which is why the Spurs had to GTFO as quickly as they did.

Actually it had more to do with the fact they wanted an actual basketball arena, not a football stadium. The Dome wasn't built for basketball.

I think comparing the two stadiums is a bit of a stretch. They're both just so different. That being said I don't believe for one second if you had the opportunity of having an brand new on campus built stadium that is super duper nice you wouldn't take that over the dome. The dome obviously is indoors and it is big but that's all it has to offer. Beyond that how can you say the dome trumps Apogee?

Have yall been to the Dome? It's a 23 year old facility that was built for the NFL. It's no longer up to NFL standards but it's still more than just a big indoor stadium. It's still in very good shape, no complaints from me about it.

Now of course if given the choice I'd take a nice on-campus stadium over it but because of the gameday experience that comes with it not because I would think it would be nicer or be worth anywhere near what the Alamodome is. That's why I said I'll concede location (on-campus) and the fact that UNT actually owns it but if we're simply comparing the stadiums alone the Dome wins. It attracts bowls/events Apogee can't.

I almost liked you bird. I have been to the dome and it is a nice facility. But apogee is special. If you make it up to Denton I highly recommend you tailgate on the hill. UNT fans are nice and welcoming. The scenery in Denton is five star. Apogee is a true college tailgate and gameday experience. Glad we are conference foes.

GMG

I am probably channeling UNT's up-and-coming political superstar Andy Hogue here, but I'll reiterate that UTSA's use of the Alamodome, being in the same city and all, is a good and responsible use of resources. It's kind of like how every time a new mall or shopping center is built, you drive by the old empty ones and realize how much space, time, money, materials, etc. we waste.

I do love that we are on the outskirts of the Metroplex and have a really nice stadium, but when it comes down to reasonable use of funds, I appreciate the whole Alamodome thing. I know this is supposed to be about fandom and one-upmanship, but responsible citizenship is a very valid reason for maximizing the use of something as big and expensive as a stadium.

On the other hand, if they don't have their own practice fields/facilities, that's definitely befuddling. Do they practice at the Alamodome too? 5 or 6 17-mile trips per year is one thing...daily trips there or to some other facility in town is kind of weird.

• Upvote 1

I almost liked you bird. I have been to the dome and it is a nice facility. But apogee is special. If you make it up to Denton I highly recommend you tailgate on the hill. UNT fans are nice and welcoming. The scenery in Denton is five star. Apogee is a true college tailgate and gameday experience. Glad we are conference foes.

GMG

I'll be in Denton on the 23rd. Looking forward to the trip.

I am probably channeling UNT's up-and-coming political superstar Andy Hogue here, but I'll reiterate that UTSA's use of the Alamodome, being in the same city and all, is a good and responsible use of resources. It's kind of like how every time a new mall or shopping center is built, you drive by the old empty ones and realize how much space, time, money, materials, etc. we waste.

I do love that we are on the outskirts of the Metroplex and have a really nice stadium, but when it comes down to reasonable use of funds, I appreciate the whole Alamodome thing. I know this is supposed to be about fandom and one-upmanship, but responsible citizenship is a very valid reason for maximizing the use of something as big and expensive as a stadium.

On the other hand, if they don't have their own practice fields/facilities, that's definitely befuddling. Do they practice at the Alamodome too? 5 or 6 17-mile trips per year is one thing...daily trips there or to some other facility in town is kind of weird.

Exactly. Especially as a start-up still trying to build the fanbase/donors/facilities using the Dome temporarily makes too much sense. We're the primary tenant too.

Facilities are being built. The team was practicing in a local high school complex owned by Northwest ISD in San Antonio for the first two years but got a new on-campus practice field at the start of this season. The plan is to give those fields to the recreation center and eventually have new practice fields at the Park West Athletics Complex though, which recently completed Phase I (soccer stadium and track stadium) and should be moving on to Phase II shortly (if it hasnt begun already). Weight room recently received an upgrade as well. We the fans may have had an easy road to get to enjoy FBS football but our players certainly didn't enjoy all the luxuries of an FBS athlete. Some pics of the new facilities/plans:

utsa-park-west.jpg

https://www.utsa.edu/masterplan/pdfs/MP_Athletics.pdf

ZSURIJOKDCMHIWZ.20130826222201.jpg

960x540.jpg

Edited by correcamino
  • Upvote 1

Actually it had more to do with the fact they wanted an actual basketball arena, not a football stadium. The Dome wasn't built for basketball.

Have yall been to the Dome? It's a 23 year old facility that was built for the NFL. It's no longer up to NFL standards but it's still more than just a big indoor stadium. It's still in very good shape, no complaints from me about it.

Now of course if given the choice I'd take a nice on-campus stadium over it but because of the gameday experience that comes with it not because I would think it would be nicer or be worth anywhere near what the Alamodome is. That's why I said I'll concede location (on-campus) and the fact that UNT actually owns it but if we're simply comparing the stadiums alone the Dome wins. It attracts bowls/events Apogee can't.

I have been to the dome. Many times. In fact, I've even marched on the field (H. S. Band) and been to a couple of events there. It was pretty good at the time it was built. I have no complaints.

But, have you been to Apogee?

In my opinion, it's really apples and oranges.

I hope your visit is an enjoyable one . . . until kickoff.

Totally agree here. Building the Dome was a ballsy move for Cisneros and co back in the day that ultimately panned out in other ways but not so much in the intended way. Having UTSA use it saves UTSA from toiling in obscurity for 20 years (or from not having a program at all) and giving the Dome some regular use in its final decades (aside from Home & Garden shows).

I mean, sure one is located in the heart of a MSA and the other in a college town. Apples to Oranges. One was built by student fees, donations and alumni money and love and the other was a hand-me-down. /smacktalk.

PlummMeanGreen aka MeanGreenGem is the worst smack talker I've ever seen.

Where have you been son! I've missed your insults about North Texas!!! You could teach these UTSA chumps a thing or two about en flaming this board. Even during the off season. And I am serious.

Is Houston going pull this next one out? Anyway, Mom, meatloaf!