Fans Implore Mac

UNT90

I would like just once tomorrow to lean over to the person next me and say "We looked off the primary receiver and thru the ball to a secondary receiver"

That is all...

I get what you are saying, and this has been a gripe about d.t. for a while. But I do not think that quarterback play is killing us. He has excellent numbers so far this year. Why look off the primary receiver if the primary receiver is open? Isn't that what a well designed play does? I want to lean over and say in the first half, "Son of a bitch, we ran play action on first down and hit a seam route to a tight end right down the middle of the field, and it worked because the strong safety and the linebackers were cheating up expecting us run!"

It has definitely been mind boggling this year that you can sit in the bleachers and watch and know exactly what is going on, yet we continue to just run the damned ball.

Edited by flyonthewall
  • Upvote 2

They will have 8 in the box to start the game. That has been the gameplan for UNT the last year and a half.

It's exactly what we should do against these guys.

Tulane might of put eight in the box against us once or twice in the first half and that's being generous with the term. teams aren't needing to do that with us this year, because we aren't running the ball very well. some of the time they only had 6 men in there and we still couldn't do anything.

Tulane might of put eight in the box against us once or twice in the first half and that's being generous with the term. teams aren't needing to do that with us this year, because we aren't running the ball very well. some of the time they only had 6 men in there and we still couldn't do anything.

I disagree. Did you watch their safetys?

Hey...just because the guy has gone completely over to the dark side...Darth Vader loves the guy....does not mean that UNT90 is devoid of some pretty solid sports knowledge. Just wish he would stick to that instead of trying to make everything UNT into a negative these days. He definitely knows his stuff...when he takes the emotions out of it and sticks to reality that is.

What he is saying here is pretty darn much spot on..as is the "I wish" from flyonthewall.

If the bars are open in Baltimore's airport, we need to keep them open! This is what a discussion here should be like...opinions and ideas without the hate and emotions. Well done guys! Plus 1's for the house! Cheers!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Throw the ball vertically on 1st downs in the 1st quarter. Run a draw on 3rd and 9.

In short:

DO WHAT THE DEFENSE ISN'T EXPECTING!'n

Please no delayed handoffs (including draws). DT does not execute them well as the entire time he's dropping back, he's got the ball out ready to handoff while the RB is feigning blocking. I've seen it countless times this year. He needs to get better at selling delayed handoffs.

• Upvote 1

Please no delayed handoffs (including draws). DT does not execute them well as the entire time he's dropping back, he's got the ball out ready to handoff while the RB is feigning blocking. I've seen it countless times this year. He needs to get better at selling delayed handoffs.

Draw where the RB is 4 yards from the LOS, not 8.

Big difference.

Draw where the RB is 4 yards from the LOS, not 8.

Big difference.

The draw doesn't fool anyone (which is what it's supposed to do) when the QB takes the ball from the center and immediately stretches out his arms to handoff while the RB is pretending to block. The QB should take the ball from center and look downfield like he's going to throw, then quickly handoff.

• Upvote 2

I disagree. Did you watch their safetys?

I just re-watched a replay of the first half again last night and you are exactly right.

The safety was always free to come with run support nearly every play when we only had two wideouts. Plus, they ran a 4-3 much of the half so they had 8 coming just about every play. We played right into their hands.

The first three offensive series are hard to watch because they were so bad.

Guards pulling giving way to a 2 technique to crack the back field...

Guards playing tackle doing the same thing.

Tight ends going in motion all the way to one side the. Asked to be fast enought to go back all the way over to the opposite side to pick up the free LB.

Hand offs of the LOS side of the quarter back instead of the back side, giving the safety and LB's a freebee look at who has the ball.

This was possibly the worse... non misdirection running game I've ever watched at NT.

The worse!

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 2

I just re-watched a replay of the first half again last night and you are exactly right.

The safety was always free to come with run support nearly every play when we only had two wideouts. Plus, they ran a 4-3 much of the half so they had 8 coming just about every play. We played right into their hands.

The first three offensive series are hard to watch because they were so bad.

Guards pulling giving way to a 2 technique to crack the back field...

Guards playing tackle doing the same thing.

Tight ends going in motion all the way to one side the. Asked to be fast enought to go back all the way over to the opposite side to pick up the free LB.

Hand offs of the LOS side of the running back instead of the back side, giving the safety and LB's a freebee look at who has the ball.

This was possibly the worse... non misdirection running game I've ever watched at NT.

The worse!

Rick

having the safety free to play the run and having him in the box are different. just watched it again and I found 2 plays with 8 in the box and a couple with the cb outside, but even with the backers. the definition of the box as I know it is having one of the safeties even or in front of the backers or basically 5 yards off the los. the safety was usually 7-8 yards off the line.

Edited by Green Crazy

having the safety free to play the run and having him in the box are different. just watched it again and I found 2 plays with 8 in the box and a couple with the cb outside, but even with the backers. the definition of the box as I know it is having one of the safeties even or in front of the backers or basically 5 yards off the los. the safety was usually 7-8 yards off the line.

Your right in that what you described is the norm there,.. The safety playing within the box. But go back and watch the...2nd play of the first series I think it is????,... and count the yards from Byrd and the LOS and then the safety and the LOS. Both are 8 freaking yards from the LOS and 16 yards apart from each other, yet in that play the safety makes his read and hits Byrd 2 yards deep for a loss. That's what was going on. That's the mismatch you had all day with that scheme and a very slow developing play. Their safety was faster than Byrd and Jimmerson all day long and could make up those 8 hards as fast as if he was only 4 or 5 yards. Because of this Tulane could mask the advantage in numbers they had, take advantage of their speed and they had to be laughing about it in the locker room at half time.

Rick

The safetys never line up even with the linebackers.

8 in the box is when one safety cheats up to around 7 yards from the LOS, actually headed toward the line at the snap of the ball, this giving him a momentum head start of the linebackers causing them both to get to the line at the sane time on a running play.

And that happened constantly in the first half. If the safeties aren't at least10-12 yards from the LOS, they are in the box.

Edited by UNT90

Your right in that what you described is the norm there,.. The safety playing within the box. But go back and watch the...2nd play of the first series I think it is????,... and count the yards from Byrd and the LOS and then the safety and the LOS. Both are 8 freaking yards from the LOS and 16 yards apart from each other, yet in that play the safety makes his read and hits Byrd 2 yards deep for a loss. That's what was going on. That's the mismatch you had all day with that scheme and a very slow developing play. Their safety was faster than Byrd and Jimmerson all day long and could make up those 8 hards as fast as if he was only 4 or 5 yards. Because of this Tulane could mask the advantage in numbers they had, take advantage of their speed and they had to be laughing about it in the locker room at half time.

Rick

oh, yes. they definitely had our scheme handled. I agree that it was poor play calling and poor execution. we were winning some of these battles last year and this year we aren't. I still think we can win by being a running team, but we need to add a wrinkle to the offense to do it this year.

We seemed way too hesitant to pull out all the stops in the first quarter for the Ohio U game and the Tulane game, too. We are having to climb our way out of 1'st quarter deficits as well as 1'st quarter "psyche outs" because of it, too, it seems to me.

IMHO............This team has to play with reckless (controlled) abandon (you know what I mean) in the first quarter against MUTS and the rest of our schedule for that matter to keep the 1'st quarter from being Mean Green Public Enemy #1.

Just my .02

PS: MUTS speedy RB and their QB/Receiver tandem should concern us all. They barely got beat by a pretty good East Carolina football team; one that will probalbly win our league's football championship for that matter.

And I hope we will still have some QB sacks by our DL to balance things out a bit, too. We are asking way too much of our secondary when we can't pressure the QB.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

To me our A formation is so slow you could time it with a calender.

Our Strength and Conditioning program has killed our speed running game. It's either that or Byrd and Jummerson are both hurt.

They line up 8 yards deep and recieve the ball 5 yards deep and that is way too much time against a quick defense.

Everytime I've watched the replay of that first half I've wanted to put my foot through the TV.

Rick

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1