Article on new UNT Commit Desmon White of Desoto

All About UNT

""You can't judge his heart," said DeSoto head coach Claude Mathis. "You have to understand that this is a young man that makes plays and loves the games, and he's doing it out here against great competition."

Put Desmon in front of scouts wearing shorts and throwing to uncovered receivers, he doesn't look like much. Put him in the state quarterfinals against Southlake Carroll in 2012, when he threw four touchdown passes and ran for another, and he's the best player on the field."

http://www.wfaa.com/sports/high-school/DeSoto-quarterback-still-waiting-for-Division-I-offer-despite-stellar-record-224510211.html

Whoo-hoo!

He may be too small to play quarterback in college but he'd be a super receiver and "wildcat" quarterback extraordinaire. I do believe that he weighs more than 140. Most reports that I've seen list him as 155. Wintrich could probably get him up to 165-170 and hopefully, retain his speed and elusiveness. Looks to be an excellent athlete. I hope that we get him and help maintain the DeSoto legacy.

Whoo-hoo!

He may be too small to play quarterback in college but he'd be a super receiver and "wildcat" quarterback extraordinaire. I do believe that he weighs more than 140. Most reports that I've seen list him as 155. Wintrich could probably get him up to 165-170 and hopefully, retain his speed and elusiveness. Looks to be an excellent athlete. I hope that we get him and help maintain the DeSoto legacy.

Why would he be just a wildcat QB when he completes almost 70% of his passes; in a passing offense? Now, he was lucky the other night that a pass wasn't picked off, but to date, he has not had any INT's. He's in the spread 100% of the time and is as accurate as the very best. I've never seen anyone, at any level, improve their passing as much as he has; in such a short period of time. As the backup QB during his soph year, he was the designated running quarterback in obvious running situations. In fact, I hating when he came in the game because it was obvious to defenses that DeSoto was going to run. (He could throw worth a damn).

He really worked on his passing over the summer (2012) and was so much better last year as the starter. His 7 on 7 experience he gained was extremely beneficial and has lead Desoto very far during the summer. He has taken his game to another level so far this year. What is so amazing is his durability. He is not 155 pounds and stands 5-6. He also is not a muscular guy. The kid has never been injured despite the many times he takes off with the ball and the shots he takes

I can agree that it is hard to imagine him playing the position at the college level, but this kid continues to amaze me. Desoto has faced the very best teams and talent at the 5A level. He is clearly the heart and soul of the team. If this kid goes down, DeSoto becomes an average high school team; as they don't have a running game.

• Upvote 1

Surely you guys don't want to offer this guy as a QB? If so, you must not have learned from our former All-American QB who was taller than this dude, yet had multiple attempts per game blocked at the LOS.

No doubt the guy can play. Bring him in as a WR because we're going to need someone to replace Brelan, but not at QB.

Surely you guys don't want to offer this guy as a QB? If so, you must not have learned from our former All-American QB who was taller than this dude, yet had multiple attempts per game blocked at the LOS.

No doubt the guy can play. Bring him in as a WR because we're going to need someone to replace Brelan, but not at QB.

I just want to bring him in. The last kid that everyone said was too short to be a QB and wanted to make the switch to another position is going into the NT HOF, Scott Hall. Not saying that Desmon White is a FBS QB, but he might be. Ever heard of Drew Brees, Doug Flutie, Fran Tarkenton? Or Thomas Lott, Jamal Holleway, Johnny Manziel.

Not saying that he's the second coming of any of those players, but give the kid a shot at QB. Move him if he can't cut it, but don't be one of those people that say he's too short. I've done that before and it comes back to bite me.

• Upvote 1

I hate to be a basher, but I have seen this kid play and he just wouldn't have a chance, as meangreentexan said. We aren't talking about a kid who is 6', or even 5'10. He is 5'6". That's giving up 10" to the average lineman. His arm strength is also not at the D1 level and he doesn't spin the ball the way you'd like out of a D1 qb.

But yes, I've wanted us to pursue him for a while as a guy you get the ball to.

I hate to be a basher, but I have seen this kid play and he just wouldn't have a chance, as meangreentexan said. We aren't talking about a kid who is 6', or even 5'10. He is 5'6". That's giving up 10" to the average lineman. His arm strength is also not at the D1 level and he doesn't spin the ball the way you'd like out of a D1 qb.

But yes, I've wanted us to pursue him for a while as a guy you get the ball to.

I'm not a football coach so I have to believe that the only reason he is not being recruited is because he is only 5-6. We also know that scouts/coaches miss out on guys all the time; due to the so called measurables. I've seen the kid for 3 years now and throughout the playoffs each year. Arm strength is NOT a problem. I say offer the kid, play him wherever, because he is clearly the MVP of a statewide top 5 program in our backyard. I was not a Scott Hall fan because he legitimately didn't have a strong arm, whereas his backup did. Maybe this is overrated.

I'm not a football coach so I have to believe that the only reason he is not being recruited is because he is only 5-6. We also know that scouts/coaches miss out on guys all the time; due to the so called measurables. I've seen the kid for 3 years now and throughout the playoffs each year. Arm strength is NOT a problem. I say offer the kid, play him wherever, because he is clearly the MVP of a statewide top 5 program in our backyard. I was not a Scott Hall fan because he legitimately didn't have a strong arm, whereas his backup did. Maybe this is overrated.

Like I said, I think he can play receiver or be a guy we hand the ball to on fly sweeps. As for qb, that's just too short. For reference, guys like Johnny Manziel and Riley Dodge are considered undersized for qbs at about 6'0". White is 5'6". Half a foot shorter than guys who are considered undersized.

As for his arm strength, we'll just have to agree to disagree. He doesn't have a joke of an arm, I just don't see D1 zip on the ball. I do see D1 speed from white however

Whoo-hoo!

I agree that he's probably too small to play quarterback on a full-time basis, at least at the D1 level, but the kid is an amazing athlete and I hope we go after him as a receiver and wildcat quarterback.

Whoo-hoo!

Jack, you remember when Fry was at SMU and the year (1965 or 1966?) they won the SWC they had a 5'7" QB whose name as I recall was Inez Perez? That Fall there were a bunch of "Perez to Levias" completions.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1

Whatever - offer him as "ATH", redshirt him and put him in the weight room and on the practice field. Figure out where he fits at some point before his 2nd year on campus. Plenty of time to work with an awesome athlete to find his place in the scheme of things. I think the only problem may be if he's holding out for somebody to guarantee him a spot as QB. I know it said he only had the one offer, but if others have spoken to him and he put it out there, that may prevent them from offering.

Edited by JesseMartin

Certainly worth the positive PR in my neck of the woods. This will pay dividends. Joey McGuire (Cedar Hill HC) tweeted "they are smart. Kid is amazing".

Wish I had 1 more course in posting tweets!

Yeah, me too. I wanted to post that tweet by McGuire as well. Also, our linebacker commit Jalen Montgomery from Mesquite tweeted about how good White is after the news of the offer broke. White is well respected in the area.

White is dangerous with the ball in his hands, no matter how small he is.

He'd be a very good get for UNT. Doesn't have long speed, but is physical as hell and gets off the ball well for a guy who isn't gonna blow you away vertically.

He would have an offer list similar to Tee Goree if he was a definite qualifier. Goree will likely wind up with a couple BCS offers.

I was wondering, since Rutherford seems pretty big, if he could be a guy we pack some weight on and move to tight end as a pass-catching threat like we did with Marcus Smith.

Also, you seem very in the know with regards to East Texas football. Keep us updated with these East Texas kids if you can. Very much appreciated.