Denton/UNT Convention Center Update

James329

Haven't seen this posted anywhere.

http://www.dentonrc....oving-ahead.ece

Interesting read..I was hearing Spring of next year to start construction, but it appears to have some significantly unresolved issues...will be great for UNT Apogee...but a room rate of $160 seems a little hight to me...perhaps a $125-130 rate...this is Denton ya know.

Interesting read..I was hearing Spring of next year to start construction, but it appears to have some significantly unresolved issues...will be great for UNT Apogee...but a room rate of $160 seems a little hight to me...perhaps a $125-130 rate...this is Denton ya know.

Definitely a little pricey but for an Embassy Suites it's pretty standard rate in Texas for the most part. Also I think it would do well anyways since I don't believe there's just a ton of hotels in Denton.

• Upvote 1

I hope the school and city don't bend over backwards to make this happen. It may be better to wait a few more years and see what happens with the economy.

That sounds like a cake and eat it too argument and I respectfully disagree. We can't wait around for the economy to rebound because by the time it does it will be too late.

You have to invest in success. To make Denton/Apogee more of a destination we need this in place. The square has become a great attraction and Apogee is a first class stadium. We need a way to attract more conventions which will help feed the bars and restaurants. If we can get more people to make the game trips a weekend event it will help feed the bars and restaurants. There are decent hotel and motels in Denton but they are sprinkled all over the place. How about having a NICE one that is viewable at the most seen point of 35 E/W?

I understand that in a perfect world you would be able to time this to coincide with a growth in the economy and I sure don't want the thing to sit there empty. I just don't think it will. There's enough business in and around that area and people like to stay in a nice new facility... just my 2 cents

That sounds like a cake and eat it too argument and I respectfully disagree. We can't wait around for the economy to rebound because by the time it does it will be too late.

You have to invest in success. To make Denton/Apogee more of a destination we need this in place. The square has become a great attraction and Apogee is a first class stadium. We need a way to attract more conventions which will help feed the bars and restaurants. If we can get more people to make the game trips a weekend event it will help feed the bars and restaurants. There are decent hotel and motels in Denton but they are sprinkled all over the place. How about having a NICE one that is viewable at the most seen point of 35 E/W?

I understand that in a perfect world you would be able to time this to coincide with a growth in the economy and I sure don't want the thing to sit there empty. I just don't think it will. There's enough business in and around that area and people like to stay in a nice new facility... just my 2 cents

:thumbsu:

• Upvote 2

Indeed!

• Upvote 1

Exactly. This hotel/convention center area would certainly be a game changer and correct me if I am wrong but the hotel itself would probably instantly become the best hotel in Denton. Seriously this needs to be built and built fast. I say the bigger the hotel the better tho. Denton and this whole region is growing a lot so I'd think the developers would want to keep the future in mind.

• Upvote 2

This can be a great thing for everyone involved if it is done right. Denton needs this, and UNT is in a good spot to take advantage and showcase the university. However, it is important that UNT and Denton carefully move forward with this and refuse to concede to the demands of the developer. We must keep our interests as the priority. Also, I'm not too aware of this developer. Like we did with the stadium (HKS), we should find a leader in the industry to facilitate this project.

Hate to lose the Hill, but too many other positives. Nice Hotels in Denton, but nothing like this. Currently, Denton doesn't have a venue to host SMALL events and conventions. It's a need for a community this size already and growing.

• Upvote 2

If old man Sammons was still alive I would feel a bit better. He built some good properties across the country. Having his underlings now handling the project bothers me a bit. I am also a bit concerned that we will see the day when there is a convention at the new center and NT is asked to move game dates or kickoff times to accomodate some convention booked on the same day. Traffic might be horrid, as well.

If old man Sammons was still alive I would feel a bit better. He built some good properties across the country. Having his underlings now handling the project bothers me a bit. I am also a bit concerned that we will see the day when there is a convention at the new center and NT is asked to move game dates or kickoff times to accomodate some convention booked on the same day. Traffic might be horrid, as well.

Then again drex in your sports promotions mind mode it might also be an opp to get more fans at Apogee.

Yet knowing you as long as I have I'd bet you already thought of that angle already.

GMG!

PS: I feel we will have more parking by that time anyhow and how much extra parking would the Hotel/Convention Center provide, too? The Pedestrian Bridge will probably be our salvation on this whole project as far as parking access goes.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Seriously? Doubt Mary Kay moves their sales meeting to Denton. Also, since it is on University property, that takes care of the 4 gun shows these cc usually draw every year.

Hate to lose the Hill, but too many other positives. Nice Hotels in Denton, but nothing like this. Currently, Denton doesn't have a venue to host SMALL events and conventions. It's a need for a community this size already and growing.

Who says we'd be losing the Hill at all? Or at least any portion of it that we already utilize??

hzwUZJg.png

I see literally the amount of the Hill that is utilized currently remaining in this plan and per today's story and the smaller scope it sounds like the developers are going for, there'd be even more spared.

The smaller they want to make this project may insure that more conventions or shows will also be going elsewhere, too?

And no, once finished, it will never challenge the large USA cities for the National Home Builders Show or others similar which have to have Big City mega-convention venue sites for their gatherings, but don't start whittling ours away till you have nothing but a fancy (yet smaller) hotel with a place all the Denton County Cub Scout troops would have a nice place to meet, either.

Yes, I'm sure a budget thing with all this, but just maybe wait till you can afford the larger version of this hotel and convention center before you whittle away more possible outside business or conventions coming to Denton and, uh, UNT just to save a few bucks. Someone once said it just takes a little extra effort to be 1'st class.

Sometimes a few in many of our's former home town of Denton act like the local population and even local college enrollments are going to somehow shrink; that is, instead of going along with the projected numbers that real, bonafide experts who do actual studies on a city, county or even universities (TX Higher Ed Coord. Bolard, Austin) indicate will be a bright future of most visible growth. So maybe this should be a clear message to a hardy handful making all the big decisions up there that Denton, UNT and TWU should really be planning for this projected growth and then to build their future venues to accommodate it.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1