Chancellor Chasing Dunbar

Brelan Chancellor is already the NT career leader in:

Kickoff Returns: 106 (and counting)
Kickoff Return Yards: 2,499 (and counting)
Kickoffs Returned For TD: 2 (...and counting!)

Against Ball State, he passes Johnny Quinn to take the #3 spot in Career All-Purpose Yards at NT. He now trails only:

1. Lance Dunbar: 5,375
2. Patrick Cobbs: 5,222

3. Brelan Chancellor: 4,114

He needs a stout 123.2 per game to get past Cobbs; an unreal 140.2 to get past Dunbar.

• Upvote 3

Kickoff Returns: 110 (and counting)
Kickoff Return Yards: 2,657 (and counting)
Kickoffs Returned For TD: 3 (...and counting!)

In All-Purpose Yards at NT, he now trails only:

3. Brelan Chancellor: 4,284

He needs a stout 117.3 per game to get past Cobbs; an unreal 136.4 to get past Dunbar.

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch

• 2 weeks later...

Kickoff Returns: 113 (and counting)
Kickoff Return Yards: 2,747 (and counting)

3. Brelan Chancellor: 4,488

He needs 104.9 per game to get past Cobbs; an 126.8 to get past Dunbar.

Very sad, indeed. This group of seniors - the ones who stayed - will have been among the most productive in the school's I-A/FBS history.

I think Andre Ware summed it up well during the Georgia broadcast, the seniors on defense were for the first time playing for the same defensive coordinator in consecutive seasons.

That says something. McCarney is building this thing pretty well. The coaching carousel, though, does tend to hurt the effectiveness of team overall.

Won't it be weird that the worst coach we've ever had percentage wise will have been the one who recruited the top passer, rusher, all-purpose yards leaders and leading tackler in school history?

Crazy. Only at UNT.

3. Brelan Chancellor: 4,488

He needs 104.9 per game to get past Cobbs; an 126.8 to get past Dunbar.

Is it only me, or are these averages coming down with every game... and the easier part of the schedule only now ahead of NT

I guess if he stays healthy he will catch them both.

They are coming down. I thought at the beginning of the season that it would be impossible because I figured we'd be running 30-40 times a game and passing 20-25.

Chancellor is delivering as a receiver and in the return game. I really think he has a shot at it! He had 204 all-purpose yards against Tulane.

Whether he gets it or not, McCarney will be hard pressed to find a replacement who can do it all like him in 2014.

They are coming down. I thought at the beginning of the season that it would be impossible because I figured we'd be running 30-40 times a game and passing 20-25.

Chancellor is delivering as a receiver and in the return game. I really think he has a shot at it! He had 204 all-purpose yards against Tulane.

Whether he gets it or not, McCarney will be hard pressed to find a replacement who can do it all like him in 2014.

It's looking like this gentleman you speak of is playing lights out at Desoto right now.

• Upvote 1

3. Brelan Chancellor: 4,569

He needs 108.9 per game to get past Cobbs; and 134.3 to get past Dunbar.

Adding something to Brelan Chancellor, punt return yards in a season. The record is held by J.T. Smith who had 380 punt return yards during the 1976 season.

This year, Chancellor has 177. He needs 33.9 punt return yards per game to break Smith's single season record. It's within reason that he can do this.

I haven't seen us talking this possibility, so excuse me if it's been raised, but is Brelan NFL draft-able or at the very least a player who can make it as an un-drafted FA? I'm not a big NFL guy, and I know Brelan doesn't have "NFL size", but neither do a lot of players who have carved out some pretty nice careers.

If he tests well, how can he not go? There have been plenty of Dave Meggett-types in the NFL. "Little" guys who can deliver in the return game as well as contribute as a good third down receiver.

I think about Kelvin Martin with the old Jimmy Johnson Dallas Cowboys, a guy who Tom Landry took in the 4th Round of the 1987 draft. He was as dangerous a punt return guy in the NFL when Jimmy started to get that thing cranked up. And, he was a good little possession receiver. Lethal.

Kickoff Returns: 115 (and counting)
Kickoff Return Yards: 2,786 (and counting)

3. Brelan Chancellor: 4,706

He needs 103.3 per game to get past Cobbs; and 133.9 to get past Dunbar.

Punt return yards in a season:
The record is held by J.T. Smith who had 380 punt return yards during the 1976 season. This year, Chancellor has 177. He needs 40.6 punt return yards per game to break Smith's single season record.

• Upvote 1

Kickoff Returns: 118 (and counting)
Kickoff Return Yards: 2,864 (and counting)

3. Brelan Chancellor: 4,911

-Brelan Chancellor is now a mere 89 yards away from joining Partick Cobbs and Lance Dunbar as the only Mean Green players to reach 5,000 career all-purpose yards. He needs 77.8 per game to get past Cobbs; and 116.3 to get past Dunbar.

The record is held by J.T. Smith who had 380 punt return yards during the 1976 season. This year, Chancellor has 177. He needs 50.8 punt return yards per game to break Smith's single season record.

• Upvote 1

I haven't seen us talking this possibility, so excuse me if it's been raised, but is Brelan NFL draft-able or at the very least a player who can make it as an un-drafted FA? I'm not a big NFL guy, and I know Brelan doesn't have "NFL size", but neither do a lot of players who have carved out some pretty nice careers.

Devin Hester

On one it the broadcasts he was compared to Steve Smith. That's a good comparison, IMO. I think Brelan will get drafted.

Kickoff Returns: 119 (and counting)
Kickoff Return Yards: 2,890 (and counting)

3. Brelan Chancellor: 5,050

-Brelan Chancellor joined Partick Cobbs and Lance Dunbar as the only Mean Green players to reach 5,000 career all-purpose yards. And, he did it in style with a 65 yard punt return for a touchdown!

He needs only 173 more all-purpose yards in the three remaining games to get past Cobbs; 57.4 yards per game.

He needs 326 to pass Lance Dunbar as UNT's all-time all-purpose yards leader; 108.7 yards per game.

The record is held by J.T. Smith who had 380 punt return yards during the 1976 season. This year, Chancellor has 261. He needs 39.7 punt return yards per game to break Smith's single season record.

• Upvote 1

Kickoff Returns: 119 (and counting)

Kickoff Return Yards: 2,890 (and counting)

3. Brelan Chancellor: 5,050

-Brelan Chancellor joined Partick Cobbs and Lance Dunbar as the only Mean Green players to reach 5,000 career all-purpose yards. And, he did it in style with a 65 yard punt return for a touchdown!

He needs only 173 more all-purpose yards in the three remaining games to get past Cobbs; 57.4 yards per game.

He needs 326 to pass Lance Dunbar as UNT's all-time all-purpose yards leader; 108.7 yards per game.

The record is held by J.T. Smith who had 380 punt return yards during the 1976 season. This year, Chancellor has 261. He needs 39.7 punt return yards per game to break Smith's single season record.

Every time i think it will be impossible for him to rack up the numbers needed for the punt return record, because opponents will do everything and anything to make sure he does not get an opportunity, everytime i get to that point, someone is stupid enough to kick/ punt it to him.

• Upvote 1