UNT weighing options on Apogee alcohol

Harry

Note to self: Never take my kid to a Rangers game, a Cowboys game, a Stars game, a Mavericks game, a UTA basketball game, 75-80% of eating establishments in the United States, a NASCAR race, a bowling alley, the Movie Tavern (which shows lots of kids' movies), Six Flags, an airport, on a commercial airplane, certain locations of Chuck E. Cheese, Europe, or Communion. Alcohol is served at all these establishments and it might hurt her Mennonite sensibilities.

Eh, what do I care?

Well responsible adults consume alcohol at those establishments. I think Capper is worried about certain groups of students having access to alcohol, which is understandable. I mean, we've all heard what these groups of students have done to the fight song, imagine alcohol fuelled 20-somethings. I think it'd be fair to serve alcohol on the alumni side, but I understand the fear of serving alcohol to students.

And I say "groups of students" because it's not everyone on the student side. A certain few have the ability to screw everyone else over by being idiots, i.e. partaking in the school tradition of singing the ENTIRE fight song.

Don't care about the attendance argument, but if it is proven to be a viable revenue stream that does not inversely impact attendance I am all for it.

Even if we break even on attendance by the new policy, alcohol sales will be producing a revenue in the 100's of k. Even if you are doing a $8 beer food and labor costs will more than likely only be $3-5 (with most shooting for it to be lower than that). 25K beers at $4 in profit is 100k. 25k beers would be less than 1 out of 4 people buying a beer. Those are easy numbers to reach and I would not be shocked to see profits closer to 250k or more

• Upvote 2

The attendance argument seems a bit of a stretch to me. How does the marketing on that go? Come to the game, we have beer now. We can't even adequately promote games without alcohol, how does the presence of it magically sell all of our tickets? I guess alcohol sells itself.

I've never read where beer sales reduced Game Day attendance. Have any of you?

Winning + beer sales at Apogee ='s A win win? Guess we won't know until we try it.

GMG!

Well responsible adults consume alcohol at those establishments. I think Capper is worried about certain groups of students having access to alcohol, which is understandable. I mean, we've all heard what these groups of students have done to the fight song, imagine alcohol fuelled 20-somethings. I think it'd be fair to serve alcohol on the alumni side, but I understand the fear of serving alcohol to students.

And I say "groups of students" because it's not everyone on the student side. A certain few have the ability to screw everyone else over by being idiots, i.e. partaking in the school tradition of singing the ENTIRE fight song.

Well, I remember being a student and we would drink on class breaks at........"The Rock Bottom Lounge" in the union at UNT and I still got that degree in just 8 1/2 years of full time study.

• Upvote 2

Yes, because adding something that the football team loves to the fight song means that UNT students are going to do beer bongs and fall over the ledge if alcohol is allowed.

:goodjob:

Edited by meangreener
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I've never read where beer sales reduced Game Day attendance. Have any of you?

Winning + beer sales at Apogee ='s A win win? Guess we won't know until we try it.

GMG!

I didn't say that they do. I wouldn't rule out some sort of negative impact on attendance as some people with young children may opt out, but I think that is avoidable if security is tight and people are monitored and removed if needed.

Yes, because adding something that the football team loves to the fight song means that UNT students are going to do beer bongs and fall over the ledge if alcohol is allowed.

We have had this discussion before, but it doesn't matter if the football team likes the add, it makes us look stupid and it really doesn't add anything. It just defeats me and I am in favor of removing that part of the fight song, at least temporarily, since people can't behave like adults.

• Upvote 4

Just do it and stop talking about it. Go see how other universities have handled it and get it done. But, being a tad more realistic...I do understand that there are many players in this decision (both inside and outside the athletic department AND UNT), and many things to be considered and worked out. Anyone who thinks you can just "snap your fingers" and it is done is seriously in need of an reality check-up.

• Upvote 1

Well I never said any of that would happen. I do think that some students wouldn't be able to handle having alcohol available to them for three hours after they've already been drinking outside the stadium. My point is I understand the concern that Capper has. It's a maturity factor.

• Upvote 1

Alcohol inside Apogee would give some fans outside pre-game Apogee (where all the booz really is) a legitimate chance of sobering up? Just one of many thoughts on the subject.

GMG!

Or, since the majority of people don't tailgate, beer in the stadium would be a chance for those people to enjoy a few overpriced beers. Let people sober up in the fourth quarter.

Great Wolf Lodge stuck it to me recently, AT&T Stadium, American Airlines Center, most clubs for that matter, room service the other day, and Uptown to name a few.

I was getting at cheap drinks in Denton.

Also concerning your list, try and put yourself in a 21 year old mind.

Edited by RAGEMASTER5000

anyone who pays $8 for a beer has lost all perspective !! or someone else is paying for it.

You don't get around much I guess. Lots of hotels in the bigger cities in places like NYC and Chicago and LA, etc. charges this and more. When you travel for a living and need a beer...well, it is what it is. Not saying it's good or appropriate...especially for those in Denton who think $4 for a pint of craft ale is too much. Just saying it is what it is. My wife and I paid about $12 each for two beers in the Paris Airport and paid a bit more than that in a bar in Copenhagen a couple of years ago...when you need a good beer, well, you pay the freight! You just grin and bear it and enjoy your beer. Ha!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I was getting at cheap drinks in Denton.

Also concerning your list, try and put yourself in a 21 year old mind.

That's really sort of impossible. Often wonder if 21 year olds even have minds! LOL...Ha! It's a generational thing.....

• Upvote 1