Where was Scrappy Yesterday?

JRock

Need to redo this whole kick off event or not even bother with it anymore.

My suggestions :

-Make it madantory for all football players & coaches to attend

- hold open fb scrimmage either before , during or after the event

-make your seasons tickets available to pick up for those impatient people who don't like waiting for mail

• Upvote 2

My suggestions :

-make your seasons tickets available to pick up for those impatient people who don't like waiting for mail

Agree! A few years ago that was the case where you could pick up your tickets. We got to walk thru the Locker rooms and see them. The coaches were there and a lot of players mingling. It was catered.

Now it's not much.

I wonder if they have these ideas and when 3K people don't show up they just give up. Kind of seems like it. And while I understand that it's frustrating that a lot of people don't show up, you have to keep doing it and make it a big deal, maybe a bigger deal, trying different things so people know it's going to happen and plan on it.

Otherwise, it just dies, which it seems to be doing.

Edited by MeanGreenHoops
  • Upvote 1

It certainly looked thrown together. If I were the boss, I'd be having a serious sit down with the planners. Had a great time talking with some Rice fans and fellow Mean Green Alums. Had a good talk with Kram.

We felt a let down with the event. My kids expected hot dogs and such and we took time to drive from Dallas to spend time as a family. What's worse? My son said for days "Daddy...I'm going to hug Scrappy this time... I'm not scared anymore." Pisses me off the lack of attention and planning of these things.

• Upvote 2

It certainly looked thrown together. If I were the boss, I'd be having a serious sit down with the planners. Had a great time talking with some Rice fans and fellow Mean Green Alums. Had a good talk with Kram.

We felt a let down with the event. My kids expected hot dogs and such and we took time to drive from Dallas to spend time as a family. What's worse? My son said for days "Daddy...I'm going to hug Scrappy this time... I'm not scared anymore." Pisses me off the lack of attention and planning of these things.

That's unfortunate & sad to hear. It took my son about a year to warm up to Scrappy

Glad I chose the soccer game over the kick off. Sounds like the turnout was on par with the planning

• Upvote 1

It must've been thrown together at the last minute because of how late it was before there was so much as an announcement of the event.

As for Scrappy, I hear the AD asked him not to be there due to current NCAA investigations regarding some 5yr old birthday parties he appeared at over the summer.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

My suggestions :

You might have been better at reviewing it if you had attended it! Ha! Good to see you guys at the soccer scrimmage after the Kick-off Cookout! Varsity took the alums apart. Good for them as Coach H is know to get pretty upset when they lose to the alums. This was "over" for the alums in the first few minutes. Looking for good things from the soccer ladies this year....again!

Just messin' with ya!

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

You might have been better at reviewing it if you had attended it! Ha! Good to see you guys at the soccer scrimmage after the Kick-off Cookout! Varsity took the alums apart. Good for them as Coach H is know to get pretty upset when they lose to the alums. This was "over" for the alums in the first few minutes. Looking for good things from the soccer ladies this year....again!

Just messin' with ya!

Any chance we ever have a soccer game in Apogee ? I think that would be cool. I ask because I don't know what adjustments would have to be done , if any. Edited by NT03
  • Upvote 1

Just messin' with ya!

As usual, shooting the messenger.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

My suggestions :

cook up some food, have the band there playing some tunes....just get liquored up !!!

• Upvote 3

First time we've missed in years. This was the one weekend a month I had to work, and didn't get enough advance notice of the date to change my schedule.

GMG!

• Upvote 2

As usual, shooting the messenger.

Reading comprehension is so hard for some. You know, if you don't get the joke...you might not want to respond...NT03 got it, and I am sure he chuckled a little....And, really that's all I care about. Try to add something positive next time if you can. It's really not that hard.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

First time we've missed in years. This was the one weekend a month I had to work, and didn't get enough advance notice of the date to change my schedule.

GMG!

In all honesty, you really did not miss much this year. Best part was just chatting with fellow Mean Greener's and a few of the players in attendance. My wife and I enjoyed the Varsity-Alum soccer match that happened after the Kick-Off Cookout more. If you had to miss one over the last few years...well, this would have been the one. Enjoyable, but certainly did not match up to those of recent years's past.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

I think they purposely left the word "Cookout" out of the event name this year for good reason. The good news was all the food was free! The not as good news was that the only food was ice cream and popcorn.

I agree that attendance was much better when we had the opportunity to pick up season tickets. I know they've tried different things over the years. I'd hate to see this go away. Hopefully some things were learned and improvements will be made for next year.

• Upvote 1

It gets harder and harder to support anything NT related every year. Before anyone (one particular person comes to mind) jumps in with their input, this is my opinion and feelings on the subject. I work a lot of hours, have 2 sons that play 2 sports each and I get involved in a few charities so my time gets stretched very thin. If my alma mater is going to continue doing things half-assed, continue to accept half-ass work from AD employees, and continue to put half-ass effort into so many athletic events, not sure why they would expect anything but half-ass results.

• Upvote 1

Everything is what you make of it. I didn't make it yesterday afternoon, but I had a great time with the poster thing. Sometimes we forget that this is supposed to be fun. Remember fun? We used to have it when we were kids. No amenities, just time with our friends. While I certainly want the best for every aspect of this program, I lament that somewhere along the way, "fun" in adulthood became a pissing contest of extravagance.

Hell, I had fun at Fouts. Thank God it's gone, but when it was what we had, I had fun there.

Life's waaaay too short to spend stressing and obsessing about every minute facet of one's recreational pursuits.

I'll see everyone in less than two weeks. I can't wait.

• Upvote 3

Everything is what you make of it. I didn't make it yesterday afternoon, but I had a great time with the poster thing. Sometimes we forget that this is supposed to be fun. Remember fun? We used to have it when we were kids. No amenities, just time with our friends. While I certainly want the best for every aspect of this program, I lament that somewhere along the way, "fun" in adulthood became a pissing contest of extravagance.

Hell, I had fun at Fouts. Thank God it's gone, but when it was what we had, I had fun there.

Life's waaaay too short to spend stressing and obsessing about every minute facet of one's recreational pursuits.

Great post oldguystudent!

• Upvote 1

I don't mean to be a fly in the ointment

Because for you and me, this is enjoyment.

But for those who earn cheddar

For a half-assed endeavor

Was this justifying their employment?

It's a wonder how anyone stays

With this decade-long non-winning phase.

Since we lose at this sport

It's of particular import

Not to screw up the weenies and maize.

I'm not one demanding coaching change.

Because I think success may be in range

I hope for on-field ascendance,

But mere cookout attendance

Seems like something the staff could arrange.

With the way the last eight seasons ended,

This event could help fences get mended

Are we building excitement?

It's a damning indictment

When not even our MASCOT attended!

At this critical conference junction

It's a sign of our program's dysfunction

When we need to build passion

In an off the field fashion

But I missed this with zero compunction.

It's as fun as a smooch with your cousin

When the team never wins half a dozen.

And though WE still attend,

I can sure comprehend

Why the rest of the Metroplex doesn't.