How much are we going to run the ball?

BillySee58

Chico has explicitly said he will have a hit sheet for Chancellor; I'm guessing about 10 touches a game. Even if Brelan gets 5 catches a game, that still leaves about 5 carries a game to get him.

There is also a good chance we have a running qb, either DW or BB, who figures to get at least 5 qb runs per game. Not to mention our three running backs, at least, who will all split carries. You would think somewhere around 30 carries a game for the running backs.

My point is, we will be a heavily running football team again. Maybe even more so than last year. Could translate to a tailor-situation for a young qb to step into.

We ran the ball 56% of the time last year. I think that their goal is 50-50 so that teams won't stack defenses towards one trend. I believe that there will be a few more designed quarterback runs and perhaps a few coverage runs so that there will still be a few more running plays.

• Upvote 1

It'll be interesting to see how much qb running there is and how much that changes up the way defenses approach us.

Also, as grayeagle pointed out, don't underestimate how much coverage runs can help out an offense. Everyone's covered and the qb takes off for a first every once in a while can really help things, not to mention adding in a qb spy on the defense means one less guy in coverage.

• Upvote 1

As long as we run more than we punt or kick, I'm good.

Now...that is some good logic here folks. Do we really care as long as whatever play is called is gaining positive yardage and leading to scores? Not me! Tired of losing...however the Mean Green get back to winning is plenty A-OK with me!

• Upvote 1

A lot. I still see us running 75% of the time and I'm ok with that I just want us to throw more on 1st down.

If we run the ball this much, we will be lucky to win 3 games. As it is in life, balance is also the key to winning football games.

Edited by UNT90

We ran the ball 56% of the time last year. I think that their goal is 50-50 so that teams won't stack defenses towards one trend. I believe that there will be a few more designed quarterback runs and perhaps a few coverage runs so that there will still be a few more running plays.

True, but the problem was the fact that we ran the ball roughly 99.9% of the time on first down. We may have run the ball only 56% of the time, but it and the 44% when we threw the ball were terribly predictable.

Now...that is some good logic here folks. Do we really care as long as whatever play is called is gaining positive yardage and leading to scores? Not me! Tired of losing...however the Mean Green get back to winning is plenty A-OK with me!

Nothing personal, but everyone always says something to the tune of "I don't care what we do as long as we're winning games."

Well yeah, duh. But we're trying to discuss what it's going to take to win.

DEFENSE is the key to winning more football games than you lose...#hitsixplusone.

Rick

Balance, within your offense and on both sides of the ball, is the key to winning championships.

#howabouttryingtowin10insteadof7?

Edited by UNT90

Nothing personal, but everyone always says something to the tune of "I don't care what we do as long as we're winning games."

Well yeah, duh. But we're trying to discuss what it's going to take to win.

No problem...but if you are talking to me...that IS my opinion and that opinion is a valid part of the discussion. I could not care less about what plays in what perscentages...this is old hat...Coach Mac has said on may occasions that we wants about a 50-50 mix of pass and run. Me, sorry, but I don't care what the mix is...I just want to see a win.

Although I do recall how boring UNT football was the last couple of years under the Dickey reign when we ran and ran and ran and ran some more...up the middle...up the middle...up the middle...or so it seemed. Probably deceptive, but I recall lots of "discussion" in the stands about the lack of excitement...win or lose.

Yes, here comes a Hayden Fry reference...Hayden could lose a game and at least you had fun watching it, heck in the end Dickey could win one and you left bored to tears it seemed.

SO, a 50-50 mix might be OK, as would boring Dickey football again as long as UNT won. Lots of attitudes about the "boring nature" of a Dickey win are probably long forgotten after these last, what, eight years of losing. You really had to be there in both eras to understand the difference between watching a Fry loss and a Dickey win compared to the last years under Dickey. maybe you were there...if so, you know what I mean and can understand my position in this discussion.