UNT Roster

H-towngreen

For those concerned about Shawn McKinney's size, first of all I do not think all of these listings are 100% accurate and I don't think he weighs 365.

Second, I was playing touch football with him this summer at my old high school and he was really showing some darn impressive speed. One play I was sure I had overthrown Shawn and he turned on the afterburners and made a snag. Dude's athleticism really had me impressed. Not saying he's going to start, but I'm not scared that he's too out of shape to play.

Hope you are right about his weight. Conditioning was an issue at the time of signing, as I recall.

Show me another 365lbs college or pro center. I don't think there is even one. That is simply too heavy to play that, or any other position. Lets hope he is closer to 315.

• Upvote 1

Hope you are right about his weight. Conditioning was an issue at the time of signing, as I recall.

Show me another 365lbs college or pro center. I don't think there is even one. That is simply too heavy to play that, or any other position. Lets hope he is closer to 315.

I agree that is too big for a center, but he didn't look anywhere close to 365. Maybe 330, but looking at him I was thinking he was between 315 and 325.
  • Upvote 1

Austin Orr and Alexander Lincoln are both listed at DE. I was under the impression that both were DT's. At 272 and 267 lbs., respectively, they do not have ideal size, but better than the 248 lbs. that Boutwell is listed at. I find it hard to believe that none of our 18 OL can play DT.

Thompson at 6' 4", 316 is a DT; moved to OL because "he's not a D1 DT.". Really?

Thompson at 6' 4", 316 is a DT; moved to OL because "he's not a D1 DT.". Really?

Yeah pretty much. These coaching decisions are theirs to make. They get paid to do it and they get fired if they dont do it well (see Dodge etc) they've been evaluating talent for a long long time. Believe me - if they thought one player on this roster could help the depth issue at defensive tackle they would have moved them back in the spring.

Now if you want to question why were sitting so thin at that spot in the first place you would have a more salient point.

Yeah pretty much. These coaching decisions are theirs to make. They get paid to do it and they get fired if they dont do it well (see Dodge etc) they've been evaluating talent for a long long time. Believe me - if they thought one player on this roster could help the depth issue at defensive tackle they would have moved them back in the spring.

Now if you want to question why were sitting so thin at that spot in the first place you would have a more salient point.

So sitting him behind Cyril was a better decision than developing him into a "D1 DT" ? Not only for the kids sake, but for the team? I get that it's do or die for coaches, but this particular instance escapes me. I'll end it there. So you tell me--how'd we get so thin at DT?

• Upvote 1

So sitting him behind Cyril was a better decision than developing him into a "D1 DT" ? Not only for the kids sake, but for the team? I get that it's do or die for coaches, but this particular instance escapes me. I'll end it there. So you tell me--how'd we get so thin at DT?

I think they recruited a top notch one right out of the gate in Terrell Brooks who somehow decided he didn't want to play football anymore and left then transferred to Navarro and just signed with Baylor.

I think the big kid from Wichita Fall Ryder McDorman would have helped and he was lost to a career ending injury.

I think they came up short on a high school guy from Louisiana that would have helped us.

They could have addressed this with a juco kid but chose not to, or didn't have the quality available from the juco ranks. I don't really get that part because right now even an average juco defensive lineman would look like an oasis in the desert.

Landing the Van kid Sid Moore was huge -- but he's wet behind the ears as a true freshman and you would like to see him have a redshirt year to put on more than 250.

It's just not a position that they were able to address adequately and I just hope like hell that they can overcome it this season. In their defense it is THE toughest position to recruit quality at bar none.

If they just had 5 or 6 athletic, but undersized guys there they could rotate in at out Benford style like jJimmy Johnson did with the cowboys dline back in the day. It worked great for those teams.

Nothing tougher than sending an undersized guy out and asking him to play the whole game (see boutwell).

• Upvote 1

I've wondered about Micah Thompson several times myself . . . but I've got to agree with Harry on this one. It's not as if the coaches don't know that they have a lack of depth at DT. If they had backups on the O-line who could play DT, I'm sure they'd move them to DT. But there is more to playing DT than being big.

• Upvote 1

I think Boutwell could be an all conference caliber defensive end in this league if he's healthy but he's a team guy and doing what the team needs him to do.

Right now I think we have a lot of hopes tied up into Orr and Watson. IF one or both could stay healthy and just be adequate it would be a huge boost. I think Sir Calvin is a longer shot but probably has a bigger upside than the other two...

Schools like La. Tech, Tulsa, ECU heck even FIU have beasts at these tackle spots with significant experience...UTEP's Ayala is one of the best in the conference...they disrupt the running game and keep you honest...they also take up attention and space so your linebackers can make plays...

I wouldn't be too quick to rule out Haboul either... Yes he's way small for the position but he's similar to Boutwell in that he's like a green beret in there with his technique and mental toughness. I could see him possibly get some time on passing downs in a rotation. he proved in high school that he could excel against 4 star talent.

I wouldn't be too quick to rule out Haboul either... Yes he's way small for the position but he's similar to Boutwell in that he's like a green beret in there with his technique and mental toughness. I could see him possibly get some time on passing downs in a rotation. he proved in high school that he could excel against 4 star talent.

A often overlooked player. Undersized but very......motivated. I'll take that over inserting a big body into the lineup any time.

Edited by SilverEagle