The only losses I've seen in person

JesseMartin

As most of you already know, I wasn't much into spectating in my younger years. I liked sports starting in my mid teens, I just always preferred playing to watching for a very long time. And from the end of graduate school until now, I've moved around a lot and had some very weird things go on so that I haven't been to a game since the first season after grad school, though I've caught as many as possible on TV, radio, etc. But when it was feasible, I made it to as many games as possible and we almost always won! So I've had some damn good timing. Unless I'm forgetting one, I believe these are the only losses I've ever seen in person:

10/18/97 Boise State

9/2/99 UNLV

11/13/99 @TCU

11/4/2000 Idaho

9/22/01 Texas Tech (Irving)

9/17/05 Tulsa

I had to search to check the dates but I'm pretty sure these are the only ones. So from the time when I caught the spirit bug to when I started moving around, every other game was either a win or one I had to miss. So if my recollection is accurate, our record for games I've been to is 21-6. I know, 27 games isn't nearly enough to be a "superfan" or whatever, but most who were around at the time will tell you I have a tendency to overextend myself and not leave much room for fun at times. For instance, in 2002 I was working 4 jobs and missed the USF loss because I was sick, probably from not sleeping pretty much at all.

My point in posting this is that I have thought about it a few times during the "doom and gloom" threads and you know what? When people tell you "our football team always loses, it sucks to go to the games even if you like football, etc.", don't listen to them. You may just end up having really good timing! The only Bowl game I was able to travel for was Cincy! So this is really more for the "lurkers" than the regular posters.

Oh, and especially if you don't have the money for travel - that means you probably don't have tons of cash for entertainment as well, so if you're a student, yay! It's already included in your fees. If not, hey, tickets are pretty cheap! And keep in mind that even in down seasons, with 5 or 6 games at home we usually still win about half of them (not including the Dodge years - now, that's just painful). And in good seasons, we usually win all but 1 or 2 at home! So even if you just go to home games, even if you only go to a few you're likely to come away with memories of a good chunk of them being W's. (Again, not counting 2006-2010. I know it's recent so it seems more relevant, but since then we've won over half of the home games so things are getting back to where we were before all of that mess.)

Just trying to lighten the mood a bit, and regardless of the season record, unless you watched Dodge-ball at UNT you've probably seen a decent share of wins in Denton. Also, if your luck is anything like mine, go to the games with people from the Pre-Law program or Moot Court team. My W/L record of games seen with them is 13-1 (including the Bowl win) and without them is 8-5. Might be some good vibes coming from one of the winning-est Moot Court teams in the nation!

• Upvote 2

unless you watched Dodge-ball at UNT you've probably seen a decent share of wins in Denton.

Well, it just so happens that my first UNT football season was Dodge's second year, so I've seen, in person:

09/06/08 Tulsa

10/04/08 FIU

10/11/08 LaLa

10/25/08 Troy

11/29/08 Ark St

09/12/09 Ohio

09/26/12 MTSU

10/17/09 FAU

At this point, I stopped going and never saw another Dodge "coached" (and I use that term loosely) game again

11/27/10 Kansas St (This game was actually fun and showed promise)

09/10/11 Houston

But wait! The eleventh time was the charm! 09/24/11 We beat Indiana! I finally saw a win!

10/29/11 Ark St

11/29/11 WKU

09/22/12 Troy

11/03/12 Ark St

So if I'm counting correctly, my all-time home record is 7-14. If we take away the first 8 miserable experiences, that actually puts me at 7-6. Put it into that perspective, and while there is certainly room for improvement, we've come a loooong way since I first set foot staring into the blistering sun from the student seats of Fouts five years ago.

So you have to skew numbers, split hairs, then take away 8 more losses in addition to contradicting yourself throughout the post.

All you're doing is putting lipstick on a pig. UNT is not a good football school, its that simple.

6:12 am and you are trolling a school you hate? Something tells me you put lipstick on in mom's basement. It puts the lotion on the skin or it gets the hose again, it's that simple. Edited by UNTexas
  • Upvote 1

oldguy, that's awful! But that's why I threw that part in there too - those few years must have been really discouraging, especially as the early experiences for new fans and students. Froggie boy probably has the same kind of luck with TCU as I did with UNT, since he's young enough to not have been around during the years when those like who responded above ^^^^ played for us and TCU was bad for far longer than we've ever been. I know trolls aren't nearly as tough in person, but I'd love to see him say that to Joe's face and then watch him start to quiver.

So you have to skew numbers, split hairs, then take away 8 more losses in addition to contradicting yourself throughout the post.

All you're doing is putting lipstick on a pig. UNT is not a good football school, its that simple.

Hey, what's your prediction for TCU this year?

I saw 9 straight losses before I saw UNT win in person. Thankfully they won 3 in a row before I saw another loss, putting my personal record at 3-10 for attended games. The first game I ever went to was in 2002 against Texas, and at the time, I had never heard of North Texas. UNT played amazing and fought hard in defeat, and I never forgot that. 6 years later I was enrolling in the Eagle Student Sevices Center. I credit that loss with giving me exposure to the school. So, to me, not all losses are created equal.

• Upvote 1

why don't you look back to see where UTA kicked your ass....yes UTA...I suggest you keep things in perspective.

What a shocker--Froggy Style is awfully quiet about his supposed team and his prediction for how they will do. It doesn't seen like a tough question, unless you are afraid to go on record.

Unlike 99% of UNT grads, I have a real job and therefore can't get on here every day. We plan on winning the Big 12 with Pachall and legendary Patterson leading the way.

why don't you look back to see where UTA kicked your ass....yes UTA...I suggest you keep things in perspective.

Typical UNT fan living in the past. I may as well join the club and go watch some ROSE BOWL highlights.

..cause he missed the early short bus this morning.XBl8K2J.jpg

Rick

That bus is more valuable than the car you drive or should I say the firetruck you ride on. I bet when you want to eat fancy (well according to the money you make, having a UNT degree and all) you turn on the siren so you don't have to wait in the drive-thru. I on the other hand, drive a Range Rover

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Unlike 99% of UNT grads, I have a real job and therefore can't get on here every day. We plan on winning the Big 12 with Pachall and legendary Patterson leading the way.

Typical UNT fan living in the past. I may as well join the club and go watch some ROSE BOWL highlights.

That bus is more valuable than the car you drive or should I say the firetruck you ride on. I bet when you want to eat fancy (well according to the money you make, having a UNT degree and all) you turn on the siren so you don't have to wait in the drive-thru. I on the other hand, drive a Range Rover

Range Rover? Piece of junk car! Wife and I test drove one before deciding on her current car. Hated it! Absolutely the worse driving car I have ever driven. Yep...Overseas Motors in Froggy's dream town of Ft. Worth. It actually sucked folks....seriously! Probably OK in the Outback, and on the dirt roads, but in civilization...no friggin' way should any sane person spend the highly inflated amount of cash needed to purchase that ridiculously bad driving car. Figures Froggy would drive one..but at minimum wage like he makes it was probably a 10 year old clunker...he cannot afford more with that TCU degree. Hey, what hours do you work at Uncle Julio's? I'll check out your table cleaning ability if you let me have your next week's work schedule. It is posted already in the kitchen, right? Hey, work hard and that TCU degree will get you promoted to waiter trainee soon!

• Upvote 1

talk about living in the past...the Rose Bowl?? seriously?

I don't tend to talk mess about TCU because I think Coach Patterson is a great coach and a guy who truly tries to mold young men for their life beyond Amon G. Carter. However, the man did ask you for a prediction, and all you suggested was winning the Big 12. With how down that conference is, 9-3 could easily do the trick. So give us an actual prediction

Sounds like you wasted your money to fit in with your little tcu friends. You really are dumber than your posts and range rover make you look. But, thanks for being a sucker.
  • Upvote 1

Range rover = communist soccer mom

Go on record and show us those wins, pal.

I see you guys losing to both Okie schools, Texas, and at least two more conference games, which I'll venture will be at Tech and at Kansas State. LSU will froggy style you hard at Jerry World. That shows me 6-6 before your bowl game.

The MWC says hello and to remember that Rose Bowl!! Oh wait, is that clinging on to the past?