What Power5 Big Time School Would U Bring To Apogee ?

For me...I'd prefer games against ARMY, NAVY and AIR FORCE on a regular basis at Apogee. All D1 schools and always a great atmosphere and large crowds when we get these folks to play in Denton.

I would have also mentioned Oklahomea State, but I think PLumm said I couldn't mention Big XII teams...

We don't fill out the rest of our schedule with McNeese State. And you've yet to deal with a conference schedule to restrict your options. Oh, and right now you are the GUARANTEED win in a market these teams don't play in already. Baylor has games at Jerry World already. Ok-State just wants to pack as many of THEIR fans as possible into the Alamodome to put on a display for San Antonio recruits while they see if your scoreboard can count to 150.

You played an FCS team at Apogee just last year. lol

But my apologies, didn't realize NT was once again too high and mighty for something. Two for ones are clearly below you guys. You guys can just throw $1 mill at these teams, that's definitely a lot more realistic for an upper tier school like NT.

• Upvote 1

Meh, we haven't had a problem scheduling non-Power 5 teams for home and aways to fill out the rest of our schedule. Don't see why it would be any different for you guys since you have DFW to sell to them. If it comes down to it just use some of the money from the sellouts to bring an FCS team to beat up on.

Hahahahaja.

I really shouldn't laugh at you, considering we have achieved schedule inflexibility without brining anyone except K-St to town.

Enjoy those 5 home game schedules that are absolutely in your future if you load up one 2 for 1s.

At least y'all will have something to show for them.

We don't.

For me...I'd prefer games against ARMY, NAVY and AIR FORCE on a regular basis at Apogee. All D1 schools and always a great atmosphere and large crowds when we get these folks to play in Denton.

I would have also mentioned Oklahomea State, but I think PLumm said I couldn't mention Big XII teams...

this! agree.

• Upvote 1

Hahahahaja.

I really shouldn't laugh at you, considering we have achieved schedule inflexibility without brining anyone except K-St to town.

Enjoy those 5 home game schedules that are absolutely in your future if you load up one 2 for 1s.

At least y'all will have something to show for them.

We don't.

The only 2 for 1s we have are Ok State, Arizona, and Baylor. That was my mistake. Arizona State and K-State are simple home and aways.

All Im saying is, BCS teams aren't going to get paid to come to your house. They'll pay you to go to theirs and get beat. That's just how it works, if we want games with some of the prestigious programs being mentioned both our ADs have to accept 2 for 1s. Personally I prefer an FCS team+strong Power 5 team on our home schedule instead of two below average/average non-Power 5 teams. That's how you convert and get the interest of casual fans.

Edited by correcamino
  • Upvote 1

The only 2 for 1s we have are Ok State, Arizona, and Baylor. That was my mistake. Arizona State and K-State are simple home and aways.

All Im saying is, BCS teams aren't going to get paid to come to your house. They'll pay you to go to theirs and get beat. That's just how it works, if we want games with some of the prestigious programs being mentioned both our ADs have to accept 2 for 1s. Personally I prefer an FCS team+strong Power 5 team on our home schedule instead of two below average/average non-Power 5 teams. That's how you convert and get the interest of casual fans.

Apparently you don't know who we are.

We are far more interested in 2 for 0s and a big fat check.

That's just how we roll in Denton, Tx.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

A million is nothing to a big time program, they make a lot more than that at home paying their opponent a million.

Assuming you could buy any game you want, you better be careful what you wish for. This is a program that has got manhandled at home by Tulsa, getting beat at Apogee by OU, Notre Dame, UT or the Dallas Cowboys 50+ to nothing is not going to help the program.

Right now, I just hope NT can handle the home schedule they have which is very easy, than lets worry about upgrades.

• Upvote 2

I say UT. Not only will that fill apogee. UT might actually be willing to do this for a milllion or so, in some not too distant future, since it is close enough, their fan base can all go to the game and most importantly if they think getting guaranteed road wins is one of the things that seriously enhance your chances with the playoff comittee (ok i guess first that comittee has to show they care for roasd games, far from certain, but I may be allowed to dream).

• Upvote 1

A million is nothing to a big time program, they make a lot more than that at home paying their opponent a million.

Assuming you could buy any game you want, you better be careful what you wish for. This is a program that has got manhandled at home by Tulsa, getting beat at Apogee by OU, Notre Dame, UT or the Dallas Cowboys 50+ to nothing is not going to help the program.

Right now, I just hope NT can handle the home schedule they have which is very easy, than lets worry about upgrades.

Much too long to read in one sitting but if you read this at all read half of it this AM and the rest this PM: :)

AM: You're right, GrandGreen, a million is nothing but in the original statement by that "phantom UNT alum who owns the annual multi-million dollar producing business" he also added......"or whatever it takes" money-wise.

OK, granted, we've all been brow beaten and whooped with this football program for the most part of the last 30 plus years with so few bright spots along the way in the same timeline B U T...........just like each of us has the power to change each of our own lives, its direction and even to a great degree our destinies (if you will) with maybe even Lady Luck smiling on us to help, even some Divine Providence (for the many of us who gravitate in that direction) and even sometimes even getting by with a little help from our friends (as in business referrals just like the Former Students of TAMU do en mass).................anyhow...........

...................most all that we project on this message board with our comments is with the idea that this program will find its own version of the old American dream (again) to advance itself and grow with quality, ie, winning football seasons commensurate with the growth of the very burgeoning North Texas Metroplex that our favorite university is located. (For starters, what if UNT had merely progressed like most all our former Mo' Valley Conference mates)?

PM (after all the little Froggies have gone to the Lilly Pond to "rivvet" themselves to sleep). :crazysmile:

Quite frankly, if had we realized such progress with Mean Green football post-Fry's leaving for the Big 10 and Iowa in our last 30 plus years then I honestly believe such growth and progress would have produced the kind of results which would have had this regions largest university with the most alums, ie, North Texas as the DFW entry into the Big 12 instead of Froggy'ville over in south Fort Worth off illustrious and venerable ol' Berry Street.

Say what you think or believe, but IMHO it took UT A.D. DeLoss Dodds a tremendous amount of biting of his lips to sponsor a 2'nd Texas-based private university into the Big 12 based mostly on SWC history, that is, those schools collectively "being a pain in the SWC public university's butts" while in the Southwest Conference becoming Arkansas A.D. Frank Broyles main problem with the SWC, ie, all its Texas-based private schools which he said did not "tow their part of the line at all with the rest of us public universities" hence his main reason to make such an easy exit of the SWC while simultaneously getting Arkansas an SEC invite.

Remember how(?)...........even TCU had to go thru their own pigskin misery most of the last 25 plus years of the old SWC before it disbanded? Then TCU (with others) were told the neighborhood was going to be demolished and then several other SWC schools (along with TCU) who did not quite make the grade were rudely not given a forwarding address to what would become the new Big 12?

THEN.............after the SWC implosion, TCU had to go thru one of the most interesting conference-to-conference journeys ever in the NCAA being members of almost 4 or 5 conferences before they finally stumbled onto their "A-ha" experience figuring out what it was exactly that they had to do to:

(1) keep their doors open for business in a city that at the time did not support them at all especially their last 25 year in the SWC, ignoring their athletic venues during that same time period (sound familiar?) and because of that creating a basic non-interst from Deloss Dodd, UT (the chairman of the board FWIW) and the Big 12 to even think about chosing TCU over Baylor, and yes, we all know the politics (Ann Richards & Bob Bullock) that got Baylor a surprise invite into the new Big 12 initially and then;

(2) the TCU leadership who figured out after decades after decades that they would really have to "finally" turn loose some of their impressive private school endowment in order for them to do what Baylor had already schooled them on before they would be able to (more or less) have the opportunity to, uh.............Swim With The Sharks? Or should I say swim with all the much larger student enollment/alumnus public university constituencies as well as that group being better funded across the board. And it being that group that would be those Big 12 sharks. (insert theme music of the movie.... Jaws). :scared:

Midnight AM/PM Trip To The Fridgadaire Snack Reading:

Jury will still be out if TCU will become the new Baylor of the Big 12; that is, realizing so few Big 12 football championships (of which Baylor has "NONE") over the course of upcoming decades but rather basically go to the same kind of bowl games that a winning North Texas will be going to once the win cycle returns to the University of North Texas. In fact, didn't Northern Illinois of the MAC go to a much, much better bowl game last January than most of the Big 12 schools come to think of it? :bling:

Just win, North Texas, because that is what it's always been about from the git-go. Why we stumbled for so long beats many of us but I believe after 40 years of following Mean Green football that we finally have found ourselves in the right ocean (the "new" C-USA) as well as our sails set in the right direction--in fact, don't you just almost feel the same way? :)

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Thank goodness you showed up with your 3 year old program to tell us how it is done. We don't have any interest in scheduling Bacone State, Midwestern, etc... to fill out a schedule that has been screwed over due to 2 for 1 deals. Tell me how the conversion works when KFC stops handing out free tickets. Is you 2013 slogan "I Ate The Bones?"

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Thank goodness you showed up with your 3 year old program to tell us how it is done. We don't have any interest in scheduling Bacone State, Midwestern, etc... to fill out a schedule that has been screwed over due to 2 for 1 deals. Tell me how the conversion works when KFC stops handing out free tickets. Is you 2013 slogan "I Ate The Bones?"

I stopped reading after Bacon... mmmm.

• Upvote 1