Where'd you play high school football and when?

Harry

Lake Highlands High School Wildcats, Dallas, TX (Richardson ISD), class of 1992. Played TE and DT, wishbone offense, Wildcat/Ram Stadium was nicknamed The Boneyard. Consistent playoff team. Coached by the late Mike Zoffuto, who was made famous by providing guest commentary for the famed Plano East/John Tyler back and forth game, when he said, "God bless those kids...I'm going to throw up!" after JT came back to win the game. Coach was a great motivator who was driven by his battlefield experiences in Vietnam. Had three fellow seniors go on to play Div. 1A (Detron Smith, FB at TAMU and Denver Broncos/Indianapolis Colts; Marcus Coleman, DB at Texas Tech and Houston Texans/New York Jets/short stint with Dallas Cowboys; John Walters, LB at Alabama (played special teams true freshman year and won a national championship). Locker mate my senior year was a junior by the name of Phil Dawson, kicker at UT and longtime kicker of the Cleveland Browns. Another junior was a RB by the name of Roderick Newhouse...dad Robert of Cowboys fame. Roderick went on to play for Rice. Great memories!

• Upvote 1

I only played football in the 8th grade and then played tennis for the Fort Madison (Iowa) High School Bloodhounds from 1974-1977.

I was able to live out my sports dreams through my son. He played football for Hebron High School in Carrollton from 2003-2006. His high school record was 45-3 including a perfect 16-0 Class 4A State Championship season in 2005. The three losses were to Woodrow Wilson led by RB/LB Sergio Kindle and twice to Cedar Hill led by QB William Cole. My son went on to play for the Mean Green from 2007-2011. He loved UNT, Denton and playing on the team except for the 13-47 record.

• Upvote 4

I find it odd that many who have posted about their HS football exploits have not joined us for the GMG.Com Flag Football Game...come on guys. Here's your personal invitation to next year's game...also...time for "two sacks of Kevin Kolb" to show up to play.

• Upvote 2

I find it odd that many who have posted about their HS football exploits have not joined us for the GMG.Com Flag Football Game...come on guys. Here's your personal invitation to next year's game...also...time for "two sacks of Kevin Kolb" to show up to play.

Hey Mark.....maybe because some of us just do not want to die for our school on the field of battle out at our fabulous Apogee Stadium? :angel: LOL!

I am just now beginning my walking regiment with this new Type 2 thing I was recently diagnosed. I have lost 20 pounds but I don't get to eat anything I enjoy anymore beginning wiith pizza or a good hamburger (too many carbs). Bread sticks & croutons in my Olive Garden salads are out, too.

Will Apogee concessions have vegan plates or a chef salad on their menus this Fall? :w00t:

Actually, there are still many good things I can eat.

Seriously, fellow alums & MG fans....not trying for any sympathy votes talking about this here but please take this as a fair warning:

if you haven't had your blood sugar checked lately let me play (perhaps) a small role in maybe helping to save your life down the road.

This thing absolutely snuck up on me after I went to the hospital late one night with a case of food poison (of all things) and I left the emergency room that night with a Type 2 diabetes diagnosis after they ran the usual blood test. (And.......no one in my family had any prior diabetic history, either). Like Rosanna Danna said: "It's always something."

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1

Because we'd find...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5_T0azEpqM

Edited by UNT 90 Grad

Hey Mark.....maybe because some of us just do not want to die for our school on the field of battle out at our fabulous Apogee Stadium? :angel::)

I am just now beginning my walking regiment with this new Type 2 thing I was recently diagnosed. I have lost 20 pounds but I don't get to eat anything I enjoy anymore beginning wiith pizza or a good hamburger (too many carbs). Bread sticks & croutons in my Olive Garden salads are out, too.

Will Apogee concessions have vegan plates or a chef salad on their menus this Fall? :w00t:

Seriously, fellow alums & MG fans....not trying for any sympathy votes talking about this here but please take this as a fair warning:

if you haven't had your blood sugar checked lately let me play (perhaps) a small role in maybe helping to save your life down the road.

This thing absolutely snuck up on me after I went to the hospital late one night with a case of food poison (of all things) and I left the emergency room that night with a Type 2 diabetes diagnosis after they ran the usual blood test. (And.......no one in my family had any prior diabetic history, either).

GMG!

Hey Plumm, take care of that stuff....but, just sayin...we haven't lost anyone yet, and a little exercise is good for the heart, lowers blood pressure and is good for that Type 2 stuff.

And, if folks cannot play for whatever reason there are plenty of volunteer opportunities.

But, Ainsley...it is fun!

Hope you beat he Type 2 mess and thanks for the public service announcement....no pun intended..I hope it hits home to some who may not ave had a good and complete check-up in some time. Folks, Plumm does have a valid point here...GO GET A CHECK-UP NOW...if not for yourself then for your family and friends.

• Upvote 1

Flag football for the 80 Pound Asthmatic Smokers of Bruce Hall. Wasn't allowed to play in high school, even after hitting the gym every day for a couple years to put on 50 pounds of muscle, so I played water polo, ran track, and wrestled instead (because you know, beating the crap out of each other without pads and fighting people in the water is so much safer than football).

As to Plumm's PSA, even if you're fine now, check with a nutritionist along with a normal checkup. It's good to see what's going on with your body, but even better if you can avoid it before it's a problem.

• Upvote 1

Bum knee and I live in Virginia. Wish I could be there.

You're from Beaumont? Explains a lot. Anyway, played junior high and two years of high school JV at Keller HS and Clear Creek HS in League City, TX s a WR and CB. Not built for football, wasn't good, but fast so I caught a few big passes.

What the hell is that supposed to mean?

What the hell is that supposed to mean?

I don't know...one of my best friends from UNT was from Beaumont, and she's freaking awesome. I've never been there though, but she did seem to dislike being from there. I think she moved to California.

• Upvote 1

Arlington Martin class of 2011. Played four years. Junior year alternated between JV and varsity but got to see some snaps on Friday nights a few times. Started at center my senior year and we were 10-3 with an undefeated district championship. Unfortunately lost to Euless Trinity in the third round both my Junior and Senior year. Luckily my buddies in the class after me, including Trussell and Haboul, got revenge for us and beat them the year after I graduated.

I was privileged to play with 6 guys who earned D1 scholarships in my class and 8 guys the next year including a couple members of our beloved Mean Green. I was too small to play college football but luckily I had good grades and a good SAT score so UNT gave me a nice little academic scholly, and I'm getting to play club baseball here.

You played with one of, if not the best damn HS field goal kicker I ever saw(the one now at TCU, can't think of his name?).

BTW, I saw both games against Trinity. I work with Reed Pride's father. Y'all had a damn good team and coaching staff.

I played at Burleson in the 80's for three different head coaches in 4 years, including a short stint for Up-Chuck Mills of NTSU. You can't build a sand castle with a coaching revolving door like what we lived through. It was a mserable final two years of what had been a good previous 7 seasons for my group dating back to our 5th grade year.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

You played with one of, if not the best damn HS field goal kicker I ever saw(the one now at TCU, can't think of his name?).

BTW, I saw both games against Trinity. I work with Reed Pride's father. Y'all had a damn good team and coaching staff.

I played at Burleson in the 80's for three different head coaches in 4 years, including a short stint for Up-Chuck Mills of NTSU. You can't build a sand castle with a coaching revolving door like what we lived through. It was a mserable final two years of what had been a good previous 7 seasons for my group dating back to our 5th grade year.

Rick

"Book em', Danno!" McGarret of Hawaii 5-0

Want to see you on a surfboard 'hangin' 10' over on the north island, too, bud' ! :thumbsu:

FFR, come on now, send the MG Nation some pics from Hawaii! We're all waiting! :)

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1

Rick

Yup, Jaden Oberkrom. The funny thing is he got beat out my senior year by a kid who was a sophomore then, just graduated. Kid named Ben Grogan who is off to Ok St on a scholarship. Jaden had an NFL leg when he was in high school. Had a few 50+ yarders including a 60 yarder.

Oh you know Reid's dad? Nice, good friend of mine.

Billy...Jaden had a long FG in your Trinity game at half....think it was 57yds?

He and Ben have NFL legs.

Yeah, that was 09, my junior year. My senior year we tried a similar one and it got blocked if I remember correctly. That game is still a blur to me.

But yeah, they both have a good chance.

• Upvote 1

Played football from little league through my freshman year in college.

DeSoto High School, class of '97.

Started 2 years on Varsity at Offensive Tackle. Weak side tackle as a Jr., Strongside Tackle as a Sr. Got to the 2nd round in 5A playoffs my Sr year.

Played Strongside Gaurd & deep snapped in college.

Man I feel old....

:)

Edited by Got5onIt

North Mesquite Stallions, senior season 1995. Played WR/CB. 1st string scout team. We went to state quarterfinals but lost to Lake Highlands by one. We would have tied it up, but had to go for two since we were behind in the tiebreaker, penetrations. That was the game of the year, resulting in the overtime format they have now, which was instituted the following year. The next year, NMHS was #1 and beat Permian. I was a volunteer with the coach staf that year.

• Upvote 1

Bad knees and bursitis of the achillis tendons is my football legacy. so I'll pass.

• Upvote 1