Where'd you play high school football and when?

Harry

Bad knees and bursitis of the achillis tendons is my football legacy. so I'll pass.

I hear ya. I have a knee that one doctor said was one of the worst she's seen in her career ... and she's seen a lot of sports injuries. I'm just marking time until a knee replacement down the line.

That said, if I could do it all over again and not play football and have a healthy knee ... I'd still play football

• Upvote 1

Did some deep snapping (only one on the JV who could get it back to the punter) at Bryan Adams in Dallas, played a little center at all of about 165lbs and some middle and outside LB duties...transferred to Denton High for my senior season...Denton High was so bad that year that the coach actually welcomed me to the varisity squad immediately...without ever seeing me play! Ha! Little did he know...however...at that time folks played by the UIL rules and eventhough we moved for my dad's business I was declared inelligible to play! Really? Seriously, would have made ZERO difference...DHS went 0-fer that season (1965 football year). I managed the team and kept begging the coach to let me suit up for at least a game or two! Who would have known, right...and who would have cared? Well...nope...like I said, folks followed the rules then. Now, I would be eligible under current UIL rules....

Oh, well, my knees, shoulders, etc., etc. are great! So, maybe a blessing...still hacks me off that I did not get to play and that was over 48 years ago!!! Darn rules!!!

By the way, our coach was the great Billy Ryan...namesake of Denton's second HS.

Edited by KRAM1
  • Upvote 2

North Mesquite Stallions, senior season 1995. Played WR/CB. 1st string scout team. We went to state quarterfinals but lost to Lake Highlands by one. We would have tied it up, but had to go for two since we were behind in the tiebreaker, penetrations. That was the game of the year, resulting in the overtime format they have now, which was instituted the following year. The next year, NMHS was #1 and beat Permian. I was a volunteer with the coach staf that year.

I also went to North Mesquite from 96 to 2000. All my info from football was posted on page two of this thread I think... I was on varsity my sophomore year and Coach Elam was a beast! Eyes up or it is GUT CHECK TIME!

• Upvote 1

Yup, Jaden Oberkrom. The funny thing is he got beat out my senior year by a kid who was a sophomore then, just graduated. Kid named Ben Grogan who is off to Ok St on a scholarship. Jaden had an NFL leg when he was in high school. Had a few 50+ yarders including a 60 yarder.

Oh you know Reid's dad? Nice, good friend of mine.

Yes, saw Grogan too. That's unfair to have two incredible kickers like that back to back off one team...LOL!

Plumm, check out my Facebook page if you want to see me surfing the North Shore. It was very cool.

This morning we deep sea fished 10 miles out aboard the U.S.S. Syrup Of Epicac......lol!

This place is beyond imagination in beauty. I hate to leave but two weeks anywhere starts to make me miss Texas.

Rick

• Upvote 1

Billy...Jaden had a long FG in your Trinity game at half....think it was 57yds?

He and Ben have NFL legs.

Right, that attempt was just befor the end of the first half but if you'll remember, it originally was to be a 62 yard attempt but Trinity jumped off sides a d it got moved up 5 yards. And amazingly enough, it would have been good from 65-70.

Everyone who was NOT from Martin sitting around me was going crazy that he was even being allowed to attempt that far... And everyone FROM Martin saying he can hit from that far.

Unbelievable!

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

Right, that attempt was just befor the end of the first half but if you'll remember, it originally was to be a 62 yard attempt but Trinity jumped off sides a d it got moved up 5 yards. And amazingly enough, it would have been good from 65-70.

Everyone who was NOT from Martin sitting around me was going crazy that he was even being allowed to attempt that far... And everyone FROM Martin saying he can hit from that far.

Unbelievable!

Rick

Good memory! Yup, having those two was quite the luxury. Our fans always got a great halftime show with those two basically playing horse. Jaden was the power leg and Ben was big time accuracy, but that's not to say Jaden isn't accurate or Ben doesn't have a strong leg.

North Texas 1989 intramural flag football

LXA B-Team

made it to the B league Championship...and lost....swallow sadness

we did however...have the best uniforms.

• Upvote 1

Penn High School, Mishawaka, Indiana. 1959 - 1963.

Offensive Right Guard in the old Green Bay offense.

Played some linebacker in the old Oklahoma 5 - 4 defense.

Coached by the master, Dale O'Connell.

We had winning teams.

• Upvote 1