Big USM Supporter Disses CUSA, FIU & North Texas In Particular

MeanGreen61

That means getting out of Conference USA, according to Carlisle, where the plate of conference foes suddenly became a lot less appetizing with the formation of the new American Athletic Conference this year.

“Trying to be in this weak conference and playing Florida International and North Texas, the idea you’re going to bring 25,000-30,000 folks to your stadium isn’t going to happen,” Carlisle said.

http://www.hattiesburgamerican.com/article/20130623/NEWS01/306230025/New-USM-athletic-director-choice-crucial-supporters-say?nclick_check=1

• Upvote 1

Can you blame him? If we had to go from playing East Carolina, Central Florida, Houston, and Tulsa to playing the F_Us and Western KY, what would your reaction be?

Now his comments about going to the Big XII are ludicrously far-fetched. But I fully understand him wanting to join their former conference mates in whatever they're calling that new conference.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Says someone from a school that had to sell their soul to buy out a 2.1 million dollar contract 'cause their coach sucked worse than many could ever imagine here at North Texas. We've had some low moments the last 10 years but not that low.

• Upvote 3

Can you blame him? If we had to go from playing East Carolina, Central Florida, Houston, and Tulsa to playing the F_Us and Western KY, what would your reaction be?

Now his comments about going to the Big XII are ludicrously far-fetched. But I fully understand him wanting to join their former conference mates in whatever they're calling that new conference.

That might be his opinion, but why would you piss on your new conference in public when the one you admire left you out to dry? Just doesn't make sense.

Former Golden Eagle football player Earl Marshall didn’t mince words about disagreeing with Bennett’s decision not to renew Hammond’s contract. He said he believes the president was pressured not to retain Hammond by outside business interests who were displeased by the AD’s desire to bid out their athletic contracts

At least they have outside interests who can apply pressure towards demanding accountability. And at least they have a president that can feel pressure for calls for accountability.

Rick

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

Being a 6'th generation Texan with a few historic family ties to pre-Republic and then the Republic of Texas I just cannot publicly say on a family-oriented forum like this my first thoughts when I think about the state of Missisiissiisiiisisisisipppppiiiiisisisiiiippis. double hump back back hump or however the hell that spelling thing goes with that state. AND..........it's with the white population of that state which inspires those less than positive thoughts, too.

0 and 12 last Fall, too? What do they do for an encore fpr............THAT? :(

In your best Boss Hog white suit, Colonel Dr. President Carlisle, go back to sipping on your mint juleps while you sit under your magnolia trees in that sultry humidity and have your pipe dream fantasies of the Big 12 all you want, Big Boy!

Surely that score of North Texas vs S-u-u-u-u thurn' Mississippi in the link at the bottom and back when we had it going on and they didn't could possibly be correct, now could it?

Did You Know? There are almost 5 million more population within one hour of Apogee Stadium and the Mean Green Village than what is in Miss's entire state's population of 2.8 million?

When North Texas gets back to its winning ways (and we will) there will be more who know about those Mean Green wins than when USM wins in their beloved Hater's burgh as well as their entire state. And when "OUR" multi-football seasons winning streaks begin many of them will be inside Apogee to view all those wins,too. Take that and mix it with one of your clabbered up mint juleps, good guv'nuh ol' chap. :argue:

http://www.databasefootball.com/College/teams/teamyear.htm?TeamID=72&Season=1977

GMG!

PS: I think I know some words that will be up on the Mean Green locker room bulletin board come SMU, I mean USM game week. And just what is it about those 3 specific letters that breeds such arrogance, condescending'ness and just downright stupidity in the expression of thought sometimes? :angry:

Such words as those which came from Buford T. Pusser Carlisle will not too soon be forgotten. Who the hell is this guy's publicist who obviously didn't proof read one of his main boss's first speeches anyhow'?

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 3

Sadly, the lesson here is how we are perceived outside our own little bubble.

He didn't choose to say WKU, MTSU, or even freaking FAU.

He chose UNT and FIU.

We need to win some damn football games, and quick, around here if we don't want to risk an even worse perception, if that is even possible (and continue to be the butt of every college football fan's jokes).

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Some folks it seems, at USM at least,actually put their money where their big mouths are. Doesn't seem to have made any difference at USM, but, hey the demand is there!

Want to be "big time".... It now requires a $500 donation per seat on a season ticket application just to be placed on the wait list for season tickets at A&M.

• Upvote 1

Some folks it seems, at USM at least,actually put their money where their big mouths are. Doesn't seem to have made any difference at USM, but, hey the demand is there!

Want to be "big time".... It now requires a $500 donation per seat on a season ticket application just to be placed on the wait list for season tickets at A&M.

That's what happens when you have a school that takes it's traditions seriously. But then, they had to have some in the first place.

Edited by SilverEagle

That's what happens when you have a school that takes it's traditions seriously. But then, they had to have some in the first place.

I'll bet it has more to do with A$M's culture of winning than its traditions.

Edited by UNTFan23
  • Upvote 2

Big time is winning national championships... Everything else is a sideshow.

:o Coming from a North Texas fan, that has to be one of the most absurdly ironic statements/declarations that I've heard in a long time. Thanks for the early morning guffaw.

I never said North Texas is anywhere in the neighborhood of "big time". I actually think our team sucks and our team/conference is a sideshow to "big time" college football. That is pretty much factual. Doesn't mean I won't support my team. I liked us in in 1aa too. Way to jump to conclusions. FYI- using Bill OReilly words of the day doesn't make you witty. Far from it...

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Oooooooh, an alum from a commuter, mediocre Mississippi school coming off a 0-12 season doesn't want to be in the same conference as us.

The lowly North Texas Mean Green have never been 0-12.

But, seriously, he's a Mississippi resident from the state's worst school by a mile coming off an 0-12 football season. Smile and move on. No one's threatened.

• Upvote 3

I never said North Texas is anywhere in the neighborhood of "big time". I actually think our team sucks and our team/conference is a sideshow to "big time" college football. That is pretty much factual. Doesn't mean I won't support my team. I liked us in in 1aa too. Way to jump to conclusions. FYI- using Bill OReilly words of the day doesn't make you witty. Far from it...

You mean you were serious? Sorry, but you don't see the absurdity and the irony?

Let me summarize. We can't even fill up a brand new state-of-the-art football stadium with a student population (right across the street) of approximately 36K and an alumni base that is minimally guesstimated to be 100K that lives just 30 miles from this aforementioned state-of-the-art facility. And one of our own makes grandiose declarations about what is big time and what is not?

BTW, I don't watch Bill O'Reily, so I know nothing about his word of the day routine. My vocabulary (such as it is) comes from my North Texas education, living with a fantastic woman who was "who's who" in Journalism in college and who loves the spoken (and written) word as much as she loves me, AND having a 33 year career training volunteers and dealing with state office bureaucrats and Lawyers.

Again, thanks for the early morning guffaw.

Edited by SilverEagle

You mean you were serious? Sorry, but you don't see the absurdity and the irony?

Let me summarize. We can't even fill up a brand new state-of-the-art football stadium with a student population (right across the street) of approximately 36K and an alumni base that is minimally guesstimated to be 100K that lives just 30 miles from this aforementioned state-of-the-art facility. And one of our own makes grandiose declarations about what is big time and what is not?

And why is it students and alumni don't come to games? Is it from very few/no traditions or is it because we have had very few successful (see WINNING) seasons?

If we are going to go with adding traditions to North Texas, I say first and foremost we need to add a tradition of WINNING. All other traditions are a distant second (and pretty much irrelevant) without the WINNING part.

• Upvote 1

You guys all realize that we haven't had a winning record in football since the 2004 season, right?

By our record alone, we are absolutely one of the dregs of FBS. Nothing changes that but winning games. Quit getting your panties in a wad over some douche pointing out the obvious.

• Upvote 1

Says someone from a school that had to sell their soul to buy out a 2.1 million dollar contract 'cause their coach sucked worse than many could ever imagine here at North Texas. We've had some low moments the last 10 years but not that low.

I guess you are not familiar with NT basketball program. As far as football: NT has a lot of candidates on that basis too: Todd Dodge, Bob Tyler, etc.

You guys all realize that we haven't had a winning record in football since the 2004 season, right?

By our record alone, we are absolutely one of the dregs of FBS. Nothing changes that but winning games. Quit getting your panties in a wad over some douche pointing out the obvious.

Personally, the dude roots for a team that went 0-12 and had to sell their soul to fire him, so I don't think he should cast stones.

• Upvote 1