Mitchell - “This season I was going up and down and cruising"

Tree

I was waiting for someone else to comment on this... He is a great talent and we all know he will improve his stock in the combine, but to hear him admit it stings a bit. At least it shows that it was a balance of coach and players that ended up giving us a miserable season.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 9

It was in response to the question "what do you think scouts are looking for."

What so funny is that no one questioned TMs motor his fteshman year.

I wonder what the variable was...

I'm pretty sure I remember this coming up his freshman year, but I'm too lazy to back and find it. It wasn't as much of a hot button as it was this year, but it was there. The scouts noticed last year or at least one of them did, someone posted the video on here a while back.

If you didn't see it last year then you either weren't looking, you didn't see because your mean green/tony Mitchell #1 foam finger was in the way (this is where i fell) or you don't know as much as you want us to believe you do. I know you know basketball, so that rules that one out.

Edited by Green Crazy
  • Upvote 1

At least, he admits the obvious.

If I was a scout I would have serious questions. Mitchell literally lost millions by his play this year, Why would anyone believe that he is going to get motivated after signing a contract when he was not before? I would be very leery of a player with a lottery salary to play for in college and admittedly dogging it, turning it on once he signs a contract in a season over 3 times as long.

Edited by GrandGreen
  • Upvote 3

I'm pretty sure I remember this coming up his freshman year, but I'm too lazy to back and find it. It wasn't as much of a hot button as it was this year, but it was there. The scouts noticed last year or at least one of them did, someone posted the video on here a while back.

If you didn't see it last year then you either weren't looking, you didn't see because your mean green/tony Mitchell #1 foam finger was in the way (this is where i fell) or you don't know as much as you want us to believe you do. I know you know basketball, so that rules that one out.

Mitchell got frustrated because he knew there was little chance of winning when guys are getting jerked out of games after a minute on the court so that Benford could yell at them for a mistake. He knew there was little chance of winning when the entire team was defensively confused much of the game. He was probabaly even distracted by the dancing bear sideline act that his head coach was putting on display every game.

Mitchell lost faith in his coaching staff and his team. Maybe this is where you and I disagree, because I blame the coaching staff for this occurring.

As far as last year, like Emmitt said, the only complaints were about his facial expressions. Because that's really all there was to complain about.

Mitchell is a 1st round NBA talent, and I absolutely blame Benford for not finding a way to get the most out of that talent. That is kinda what coaches get paid to do.

For those who think NBA teams won't "take a chance" on Mitchell, just remember that only a very select few in this draft have the physical tools to play in the NBA. Mitchell will show at the combine that he absolutely has those tools, which is why he will go in the top 14 picks.

Mark it.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 5

Mitchell got frustrated because he knew there was little chance of winning when guys are getting jerked out of games after a minute on the court so that Benford could yell at them for a mistake. He knew there was little chance of winning when the entire team was defensively confused much of the game. He was probabaly even distracted by the dancing bear sideline act that his head coach was putting on display every game.

Mitchell lost faith in his coaching staff and his team. Maybe this is where you and I disagree, because I blame the coaching staff for this occurring.

As far as last year, like Emmitt said, the only complaints were about his facial expressions. Because that's really all there was to complain about.

Mitchell is a 1st round NBA talent, and I absolutely blame Benford for not finding a way to get the most out of that talent. That is kinda what coaches get paid to do.

For those who think NBA teams won't "take a chance" on Mitchell, just remember that only a very select few in this draft have the physical tools to play in the NBA. Mitchell will show at the combine that he absolutely has those tools, which is why he will go in the top 14 picks.

Mark it.

Just wondering when it was you talked to Tony one on one and gathered all this info?

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 2

Just wondering when it was you talked to Tony one on one and gathered all this info?

So, I have to talk to Tony to expect the coaching staff to make players better?

I watched Benford yank players from the game all year long when they had been on the floor for maybe 2 minutes. He was actually asked about it by Vito and said that he had to yank them to talk to them about mistakes they were making (because, appaently, the Benford basketball scheme is the more complex than rocket science).

As far as the confused defense, that also was something I saw with my own eyes.

So,. tell me again, why am I talking to Tony when the only variable is a new coaching staff (and the fututre 2014 1st pick of the draft Brandon Walton, of course)?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

I think Benford was the primary factor in such a crummy last season. However, Tony is responsible for Tony. There is a lot of difference in having an off year because of coaching and other outside influences and just not putting out the effort.

If you are not motivated by the possibilities of multi-millions in pro salary or just by your team mates and school, than I have to question your heart or drive. Mitchell is an unique talent, who likes to dunk, block shots, and shoot threes. He did not like to mix it up under the basket or work to get the ball.

Someone compared him to Dennis Rodman, not even close. Rodman had a unique ability to get to the ball and was nasty doing it. Mitchell in college could get up much higher than most everyone and got a lot of rebounds, but I seldom saw the kind of relentlessness or ball awareness that Rodman demonstrated.

I am not stating that MItchell will be a bust as a pro. He definitely has some of the physical attributes to make it, but does he have the toughness? I hope he does.

• Upvote 4

If they had made Tony the main player in the offense, could he have averaged 25 points a night? Like, with his size, just dump it into him and let him score around the paint and get to the free throw line?

We did but we had trouble feeding him the ball.

Count me as one who's ready to move on from this tired argument and admit that mistakes in the relationship were made on both sides.

I'm excited for how Benford's responded and is building the program in spite of the disappointing season and equally excited for TM's future in the NBA and his forthcoming rise up draft boards.

Go Mean Green

• Upvote 7

So,. tell me again, why am I talking to Tony when the only variable is a new coaching staff (and the fututre 2014 1st pick of the draft Brandon Walton, of course)?

No, but it would help if you at least did so when you try to speak for him. Go back and read your post again.

And, even if you cannot admit it or will not admit it, there was certainly more than one variable at work. But, since you are on your never ending crusade, it really makes for only frustration to try to even point it out to you these days.

• Upvote 7

No, but it would help if you at least did so when you try to speak for him. Go back and read your post again.

And, even if you cannot admit it or will not admit it, there was certainly more than one variable at work. But, since you are on your never ending crusade, it really makes for only frustration to try to even point it out to you these days.

After Benford year one you actually have any frustration left?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Your right, I am on a crusade, a crusade to not let Benford destroy this basketball program piece by piece. A crusade to get rid of bad coaches, even if (gasp!!!!) you have to pay out 2 to 3 or even 4 years of a terrible contract.

I'm on a crusade to point out how little this school's admiinistration really cares about athletics.

Care to join me?

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 4

I am just disgusted that someone would assasinate the character of a player like that by claiming he did not give 100% during the season. Oh, wait...nm

The dirty secret is I bet most kids, at every program (even the top 20 ones), don't give 100% all the time. Do we all give 100% at our jobs? I doubt it considering the number of posts that go up on this site during working hours. A lot of work NOT getting done.

Obviously comparing athletes to us working stiffs isn't a totally fair comparison, but still. You want guys to give you all they can. I'm sure Mitchell was trying everyday and every game. It's just easier to become distracted and/or dejected when things aren't going well. Then that hurts your effort, on a subliminal level.

When I played tennis (which is all about self motivation!), if I was facing a guy who was much better than me, it could be hard to really dig in and fight after a set or so, when you knew you had no chance. A ball that I might try and chase in a more competitive match - I may let go if I'm down 6-1, 4-0. I was someone who grinded as it was, I never beat guys on superior talent (I beat guys better than me by making it a war of attrition and wearing them down mentally). But if there was someone who was leaps and bounds better and had me on a yo yo, why would you attempt to run something down (which might impede you on the next point as well) only to see it smashed in your face? It didn't mean I wasn't giving it my all per se. I kinda look at Mitchell in that way here. I bet at times it seemed useless to fight through triple teams when his teammates weren't helping him out...or even throwing him the ball.

Edited by CMJ
  • Upvote 1

The dirty secret is I bet most kids, at every program (even the top 20 ones), don't give 100% all the time. Do we all give 100% at our jobs? I doubt it considering the number of posts that go up on this site during working hours. A lot of work NOT getting done.

Obviously comparing athletes to us working stiffs isn't a totally fair comparison, but still. You want guys to give you all they can. I'm sure Mitchell was trying everyday and every game. It's just easier to become distracted and/or dejected when things aren't going well. Then that hurts your effort, on a subliminal level.

When I played tennis (which is all about self motivation!), if I was facing a guy who was much better than me, it could be hard to really dig in and fight after a set or so, when you knew you had no chance. A ball that I might try and chase in a more competitive match - I may let go if I'm down 6-1, 4-0. I was someone who grinded as it was, I never beat guys on superior talent (I beat guys better than me by making it a war of attrition and wearing them down mentally). But if there was someone who was leaps and bounds better and had me on a yo yo, why would you attempt to run something down (which might impede you on the next point as well) only to see it smashed in your face? It didn't mean I wasn't giving it my all per se. I kinda look at Mitchell in that way here. I bet at times it seemed useless to fight through triple teams when his teammates weren't helping him out...or even throwing him the ball.

I agree. It happens a lot. Look at the OKC Thunder in the playoffs after the Westbrook injury. They were a team that was a lock for the finals that suddenly lost it's balls and it's confidence. They were walking around like sad puppy dogs. Just like us after the Walton injury (kidding).

When you lose to a D2 team in the 2nd game, I can see how that would set the tone for the rest of the season.

• Upvote 1

When I bring this up, more than anything I'm referring to him running the court. It's the easiest to see and takes the least amount of effort. I would say he was easily the most athletic player on the court every game he's played for us, so there aren't many reasons or at least not many good reasons for him to get beat down the court by his guy as much as he did. As I've said before, this is also the easiest to correct, so this can and hopefully will be fixed on his part.

I totally agree with you cmj rarely does anyone give 100% all the time, but I would say most in the nba do and that's why they're there.

That being said tony will move up the board because of the insane athletic ability that didn't get used to its potential here. The level of success and the length of his career in the association will depend on this "motor" question that is brought up not just by people on this board, but by the guys at the combine too. Including Fran who is local and knows tony and his game better than the others on that panel, who calls him "high risk, high reward".

I'm wanting tony to skyrocket to a lottery pick and be named to multiple all-star games, but I'm not willing to bet the house on it or even the Mavs first round pick.

Edited by Green Crazy