UNT lands JUCO All-American Colin Voss

Brett Vito

If we got anyone six ten/six eleven at this point they would either be about as good as Arthur Casimiro or worse.

There's still a few big uncommited JC guys out there with some skills, but you're most likely right. At this point, I'll take any big body with good defensive skills, since the little we were able to see of our sole returning big man was not inspiring in any way.

• Upvote 1

There's still a few big uncommited JC guys out there with some skills, but you're most likely right. At this point, I'll take any big body with good defensive skills, since the little we were able to see of our sole returning big man was not inspiring in any way.

Yeah, these two pickups that we just got are about as solid as we're going to get. I doubt we get anyone good that is over 6'8".

Hope Benford proves me wrong. He's proven me wrong enough so far. Like when I told all my friends we'd win our conference this year and go I the NCAA tournament.

• Upvote 2

Not bad!

From Mlive.com’s High School Basketball Bulletin:

Voss is a load on the court. More than simply another big body, his great agility and sheer basketball skills give him a significant advantage over similarly sized players. And while he’s not the type to sky above the rim on a regular basis, he has an innate understanding of how to leverage his body (gained most likely from his extensive time on the football field), that will enable him to compete inside at the collegiate level. Think of a poor man’s Tyler Hansbrough, on more of a MAC level.

CMU has received a commitment that might be its best of Zeigler’s tenure, when considering not just talent but style of play — 6-foot-8, 225-pound senior Colin Voss from East Grand Rapids. Voss is a hoss in the paint, not just big but with good hands and feet and a mean streak. He’s a good athlete who can play a fullcourt or halfcourt game and is comfortable handling the ball away from the basket.

Voss, Bankhoops.com’s No. 2 power forward in 2010, also had offers from Ball State, Drake, Pacific, Toledo and Wisconsin-Green Bay, as well as some mid-major offers for football (and conceivably could have gone high-major on the gridiron had that been his first choice).

Voss has something else in common with Psycho-T — he’s vicious. He plays basketball angry — like he’s playing football. When used appropriately this can be Voss’s greatest asset, as it is that extra gear that separates him from similarly skilled athletes. But when unchecked, this quality has a history of leading to some issues. Voss’s emotion, when channeled correctly, can be the driving force behind a dominating 20pt/20reb effort. But when unchecked it can also overwhelm him, and has been the catalyst to some unimpressive performances.

The Voss paradox is that his temper is simultaneously his greatest asset and his worst enemy, and his success at the next level will ride in large part on his — or failing that his coach’s — ability to temper his temper (fortunately, perhaps for both parties, that’s exactly the type of thing that college coaches like Zeigler get paid the big bucks to take care of, and channel toward whichever end is most useful).

Ultimately, this signing is huge for the future of CMU basketball, as it brings to Mt. Pleasant the potential cornerstone to a successful program. It also makes sense for Voss on many levels. First, choosing basketball over football is a logical choice, even for a physical specimen with an attraction to contact like Voss, because the career path of a basketball player is theoretically much healthier, and therefore longer. Second, given his talent it is conceivable that he could have played in the Big-10, but had he chosen to do so it would have likely been in a reserve role. His signing with CMU is a win/win, as CMU gets Big-10-lite talent, while Voss gets exponentially more playing time, and will have the opportunity to ultimately have a greater career.

http://www.espn961.com/pages/WestMichiganAllStar.html?article=6160878

This post has been promoted to an article Edited by Harry
  • Upvote 2

Neither of the late signings look like world beaters, but both are better than I thought Benford would get after last year's disaster

With newcomers Friar, Nunn, Wesley and the two jucos; hopefully Benford will have someone who can play inside. .

Should have descent talent next year, the question can Benford improve enough were it makes any difference

• Upvote 2

"Voss chose UNT over offers from Murray State, Lamar, South Dakota and Detroit Mercy."

If Vaughn comes on board, we will have 2 players that played in the MAC.

Far cry from beating out Kansas St. and Arkansas for recruits. Wonder if anyone cares.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 8

I don't think its a whine at all. If he was a football player that we snaked fron Lamar there would be hell to pay on this board.Why expect less from men's basketball?

Especially when men's basketball had actually been winning recruiting battles that men's football never won previous to this last basketball season.

• Upvote 1