MGB: Mac presser tidbits

Brett Vito

Interesting stuff! I had been hearing Kirby was really really good...still amazed how he landed with us as a walk-on. I've had a couple people tell me he could be one of the best we ever had...and we've had some good ones.

Evans looks like he adds immediate speed...which was needed.

Marshall at linebacker is interesting. Seems that we could use help at safety...

Still hope that we see Feldt - at 100%.

I'm sort of interested with what they do with Mark Lewis...

The d line worries me. One of the big issues that needed to be taken care of was getting pressure on the qb more often. When this happens it really helps our db's a lot.

With ya, bro. Two things need to happen: (1) One of the redshirt freshman DTs needs to step up (I'm looking at you Dylan McDorman), and (2) Quenton Brown. I am also fully expecting Aaron Bellazin to achieve "Beast" status this fall.

• Upvote 1

SPRING 2013

DEFENSIVE ENDS (Per Roster)

44 Bellazin, Aaron DE 6-2 244 Sr. Everman, TX (Everman HS) 84 Brown, Quenton DE 6-4 235 Jr. Tucker, GA (Eastern Arizona ) 56 Dilonga, Malik DE 6-4 248 RFr. Cedar Hill, TX (Trinity Christian School ) 46 Horton, Brad DE 6-6 240 RFr. Argyle, TX (Liberty Christian HS) 95 Lincoln, Alexander DE 6-2 266 Jr. Cibolo, TX (Steele HS) 49 Mason, Daryl DE 6-3 233 Jr. Garland, TX (Rowlett HS) 93 McCoy, Brandon DE 6-2 257 Sr. Carrollton, TX (Creekview HS) 91 Orr, Austin DE 6-4 268 So. Seabrook, TX (Clear Lake HS) 30 Roberts, Jarrian DE 6-2 238 RFr. Clarksville, TX (Clarksville HS) 98 Watson, Dutton DE 6-3 261 RFr. Midland, TX (Midland HS)

DEFENSIVE TACKLES (Per ROSTER)

97 Abbe, Richard DT 6-4 315 Sr. Lubbock, TX (Monterey HS) 90 Boutwell, Ryan DT 6-3 269 Sr. China Spring, TX (China Spring HS) 94 Haboul, Mustafa DT 6-0 241 RFr. Arlington, TX (Martin HS) 99 McDorman, Dylan DT 6-2 302 RFr. Wichita Falls, TX (Rider HS) 70 Wallace, Sir Calvin DT 6-2 308 RFr. Tyler, TX (Chapel Hill HS)

SPRING 2013

DEFENSIVE ENDS (Per Roster)

44 Bellazin, Aaron DE 6-2 244 Sr. Everman, TX (Everman HS) 84 Brown, Quenton DE 6-4 235 Jr. Tucker, GA (Eastern Arizona ) 56 Dilonga, Malik DE 6-4 248 RFr. Cedar Hill, TX (Trinity Christian School ) 46 Horton, Brad DE 6-6 240 RFr. Argyle, TX (Liberty Christian HS) 95 Lincoln, Alexander DE 6-2 266 Jr. Cibolo, TX (Steele HS) 49 Mason, Daryl DE 6-3 233 Jr. Garland, TX (Rowlett HS) 93 McCoy, Brandon DE 6-2 257 Sr. Carrollton, TX (Creekview HS) 91 Orr, Austin DE 6-4 268 So. Seabrook, TX (Clear Lake HS) 30 Roberts, Jarrian DE 6-2 238 RFr. Clarksville, TX (Clarksville HS) 98 Watson, Dutton DE 6-3 261 RFr. Midland, TX (Midland HS)

DEFENSIVE TACKLES (Per ROSTER)

97 Abbe, Richard DT 6-4 315 Sr. Lubbock, TX (Monterey HS) 90 Boutwell, Ryan DT 6-3 269 Sr. China Spring, TX (China Spring HS) 94 Haboul, Mustafa DT 6-0 241 RFr. Arlington, TX (Martin HS) 99 McDorman, Dylan DT 6-2 302 RFr. Wichita Falls, TX (Rider HS) 70 Wallace, Sir Calvin DT 6-2 308 RFr. Tyler, TX (Chapel Hill HS)

Watson, Lincoln and Austin Orr are also DTs now.

People keep mentioning Wallace and McDorman as guys they hope step in big time this year...and I agree...but I swear to god this Mustafa Haboul had better show up here in the next two seasons or so and show something that justifies giving a scholarship to a 6'0', 240 defensive tackle.

• Upvote 1

...but I swear to god this Mustafa Haboul had better show up here in the next two seasons or so and show something that justifies giving a scholarship to a 6'0', 240 defensive tackle.

Or what?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Watson, Lincoln and Austin Orr are also DTs now.

People keep mentioning Wallace and McDorman as guys they hope step in big time this year...and I agree...but I swear to god this Mustafa Haboul had better show up here in the next two seasons or so and show something that justifies giving a scholarship to a 6'0', 240 defensive tackle.

I think Alex Lincoln needs to start at defensive end for us. I know we need help at tackle, but he could still rotate in there. We need him on the field, best overall defensive lineman on this team in my opinion.

As a former high school teammate to Haboul, I completely agree.

• Upvote 1

I was wondering about awarding a last minute scholarship to a high school 6ft 240 DT too.

There are successful 6 ft DT's in college and the NFL. But these DT's are in the 300lbs range.

How time and weight romm work will be needed, to get Mustafa to 290lbs? 1 year, two years?

Mustafa is a very good football player, big time motor, very quick and fearless.

I am thinking Mustafa will be moved to another position.

Mustafa played FB in HS too. In goal line situations, Mustafa scored several rushing TD's, and was the key

blocker for the QB.

A 6ft 260lb FB would be nice to have in the backfield.

Edited by charlie nt73
  • Upvote 1

I think Alex Lincoln needs to start at defensive end for us. I know we need help at tackle, but he could still rotate in there. We need him on the field, best overall defensive lineman on this team in my opinion.

As a former high school teammate to Haboul, I completely agree.

What kind of player was he when you played beside him? I've hear he was a wrecking ball but would be interested in your thoughts.

What kind of player was he when you played beside him? I've hear he was a wrecking ball but would be interested in your thoughts.

He came a long way. His freshman year was his first year ever playing football, and he didn't even really know the rules to the game.

His strength was always outstanding. To this day he is one of the strongest lifters on the entire UNT team. His technique was not good in high school. All he knew how to do was Bull rush, no pun intended. He's gotten a lot better with his hands, but when in trouble he still relapses back to the bull rush which doesn't work well on 300 lb lineman.

I wouldn't be opposed to a move to fullback either, but at defensive tackle if he doesn't keep

putting on weight (those measurables are from the beginning of last football season) and learn to use his hands better he'll be toast.

• Upvote 1

He came a long way. His freshman year was his first year ever playing football, and he didn't even really know the rules to the game.

His strength was always outstanding. To this day he is one of the strongest lifters on the entire UNT team. His technique was not good in high school. All he knew how to do was Bull rush, no pun intended. He's gotten a lot better with his hands, but when in trouble he still relapses back to the bull rush which doesn't work well on 300 lb lineman.

I wouldn't be opposed to a move to fullback either, but at defensive tackle if he doesn't keep

putting on weight (those measurables are from the beginning of last football season) and learn to use his hands better he'll be toast.

What kind of speed/quickness does he have? I wouldn't be surprise if his size is a bit of a stretch, so would MLB be feasible?

Thinking a season ahead, we're looking like we could be in even more trouble at DT once Abbe and Boutwell graduate. We're gonna need some serious stepups.

• Upvote 1

What kind of speed/quickness does he have? I wouldn't be surprise if his size is a bit of a stretch, so would MLB be feasible?

Thinking a season ahead, we're looking like we could be in even more trouble at DT once Abbe and Boutwell graduate. We're gonna need some serious stepups.

He doesn't have the coordination or lateral movement to play linebacker. Fullback might be good where he can just go straight and plow the first guy he sees. But I wouldn't give up on him at defensive tackle just yet. He is over 250 lbs at this point so he has a better shot if his technique improves.

Yeah, at defensive tackle I hope we take a look at moving Wylie Reinhardt there. I loved watching his film. 6'4", 260+ lbs and mobile enough to make a play or two catching the ball at tight end. He appears to have that nasty mentality to play defense so I could see him being a major player at defensive tackle for us down the road. He could make a good tandom with syd Moore, but we still need depth.

• Upvote 1

"1. The quarterback battle

Offensive coordinator Mike Canales — one of our favorites — didn’t even wait for someone to ask the question at UNT’s pre-spring press conference. He dove right into the quarterback question when it was time for him to talk about UNT’s offense.

UNT brings back two-year starter and two-time team captain Derek Thompson, who has done some good things, and now has Brock Berglund. The former Kansas QB is supposed to be the greatest thing since Scott Hall, which would be pretty great.

Here’s the problem. Berglund hasn’t played since high school back in 2010 and has bounced around from school to school. He did spend the fall at UNT running the scout team, which will help.

The expectation is that Berglund will win the job, perform like no quarterback at UNT since Hall — the last UNT quarterback to be named all-conference in 2004 — and led the Mean Green, which hasn’t won more than five games in a season in eight years, to a bowl game while it makes the transition to a tougher league in C-USA. And he’s supposed to do this with a team that averaged 20.9 points a game last season, lost two of its best offensive lineman, a key running back in Jeremy Brown and its leading receiver in Ivan Delgado to graduation.

And if Berglund can’t do it. Thompson is supposed to.

This message will self destruct in five seconds.

Ok, it’s not quite “Mission Impossible” but it is a pretty tall order."

This is from Vito's ?'s heading into the Spring blog piece. Just thought everyone should read it before declaring Berglund, or anyone, the messiah.

• Upvote 1