We have lots of company..

They do have some standards, why does anyone think they would take a team with NT's record.

The craziest thing in the world, IMO would be to pay one dime for this NT team to play another game.

I can't believe anyone thinks this team is good enough to warrant another chance this year. This season did not end soon enough, and some want to add more loses to it.

This is very close to what I was going to say. I agree that there should have been more support to do it over the last few years, but if they were to pay in to play in one of those this year, and we performed horribly, then people would be complaining that we wasted part of our budget on that instead of, say, maybe using it to buy out a contract or build or renovate something or market season tickets.

• Upvote 1

If people do care, who won the CBI and CIT last year without using Google (or any other search engine)?

Pittsburgh I believe won the CBI. Not sure who won the CIT.

I can't believe I know this, But I could prolly also tell you the last 10-15 winners of the NIT if I really thought about it. What was that line from Hoosiers?

I know everything there is to know about the greatest game ever invented.

• Upvote 1

I really ought to. I mean, why not run off a fairly recent MGC member. You don't need them,right? You can go back to enjoying UNTs losing ways like you have for the better part of 30 years without having to read my crap, right?

Don't expect anything, just accept losing, right?

Keep the club small, right?

Dude, wow. Congrats, your comments alone have driven off another GMG member. Granted, I don't post a lot but do read everyday. I realize it's no big loss, but I'm done. I came to GMG to find fellow supporters and good information about the Mean Green...not to read negativity...

I really think you would do great as a UTA 'fan'...anywhere but here

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Dude, wow. Congrats, your comments alone have driven off another GMG member. Granted, I don't post a lot but do read everyday. I realize it's no big loss, but I'm done. I came to GMG to find fellow supporters and good information about the Mean Green...not to read negativity...

I really think you would do great as a UTA 'fan'...anywhere but here

If my comments are what drive you away, you really aren't a fan to begin with.

Tough times for the Mean Green.

• Upvote 3

By that logic... we need to get rid of a lot more that the CBI or CIT.

Not saying that it should be gotten rid of, but the statement that people actually care who wins it. It is great for fans to see more from their team, good for the team as they get additional practice, and they get tournament experience. At the end of the day, unless your team wins, nobody cares and nobody is probably watching.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I really ought to. I mean, why not run off a fairly recent MGC member. You don't need them,right? You can go back to enjoying UNTs losing ways like you have for the better part of 30 years without having to read my crap, right?

Don't expect anything, just accept losing, right?

Keep the club small, right?

No, but you and a few other posters throw out nothing but constant negativety about North Texas. Different thread each day with the same old tune and it just gets old. If someone has a differing opinion it is never respected, but belittled or the member is talked down to or some smart assed remark is made. Take you complaints to the AD. You want Benford fired, go to the AD, raise money to buy him out, etc... but reading the same old tired crap every single day is an ass whipping. Someone is either butt hurt because the AD doesn't defer to them on promotional ideas anymore or because RV is just out to hire the worst coach in America to lead our teams, etc... As Travis Scott stated earlier, this used to be a fun place to come and get the latest news on NT athletics, catch up with friends, etc... Now it is bitchfest between about 4 or 5 posters. Why don't you all just go to the chatroom, or better yet, group email each other?

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 4

No, but you and a few other posters throw out nothing but constant negativety about North Texas. Different thread each day with the same old tune and it just gets old. If someone has a differing opinion it is never respected, but belittled or the member is talked down to or some smart assed remark is made. Take you complaints to the AD. You want Benford fired, go to the AD, raise money to buy him out, etc... but reading the same old tired crap every single day is an ass whipping. Someone is either butt hurt because the AD doesn't defer to them on promotional ideas anymore or because RV is just out to hire the worst coach in America to lead our teams, etc... As Travis Scott stated earlier, this used to be a fun place to come and get the latest news on NT athletics, catch up with friends, etc... Now it is bitchfest between about 4 or 5 posters. Why don't you all just go to the chatroom, or better yet, group email each other?

And I'm the reason this isn't a fun place anymore? Really? It has nothing to do with the most disappointing basketball season in the history of this university?

Come on...

It's a fan board. Opinions are challenged all the time. That's what we do here. I always challenge them respectfully.

If you think the board is bad now, wait until we are sitting at 5 wins in late January next year. I guess at least by then we will all see the need for a change.

If you, Travis, or anyone else stops posting on here or coming to this site, I think we all know the real reason is that your sick and tired of losing and sick and tired of hearing about how the losing is most likely to continue.

• Upvote 3

"maybe using it to buy out a contract or build or renovate something or market season tickets."

Hahahahaha. I love you man but I just almost peed myself. That is two things that big boy athletic departments do...not NT.

Exactly...like I pointed out, that's what people would say if we spent the money and lost. Though I don't expect we would actually do any of it, if we were to blow money just to extend a bad season with another loss, that's what we would be seeing posted on this board.

As for Travis and others...I think there's a way you can block all content from users you don't get along with. I think you can go to their profile and there is an option there somewhere. No reason to give up on all of the good stuff just because of the negativity of a few people. I totally understand how somebody could be down a bit, especially after things were going pretty well with JJ, but I just don't buy into the negatives. Everything has a rational set of possible outcomes, and for each negative step there is a new series of possible outcomes. Understanding that makes temporary negativity somewhat inconsequential, especially as UNTLifer pointed out that there are means by which we can affect a variety of those possibilities at any given point.

Those who constantly adjust their plan and means of involvement find it easier to stay positive, because we see - and have seen before - how much impact we can have on the program when our actions are aligned properly as they relate to given situations at that moment. Those who bitch about things and stay negative want some change to come, but have either not gotten into the development of plans and movements, or have tried a couple of times to no avail and were disappointed with the outcome and feel powerless to change things. Regardless, even the negative people are still involved enough that they are passionate about what is going on; otherwise they wouldn't complain about it.

Each of us has our own role to play, and I would like to think that those of us who try to be proactive and positive - including you, Travis, I should hope - will be able to use the noise made by the pessimists to garner the necessary attention to fuel the actions that will make our University community stronger.

But our results are determined by both our timing and our actions. Our actions are determined by our role. Our role comes from our point of view. And how we view things is a conscious choice. You can choose to leave the board, or the UNT community as a whole, as it is your time and energy spent in pursuit of all that we hope to achieve collectively. Or you can choose to accept that even naysayers and pessimists have a role to play in the grand scheme of things, and find ways to use their anger and discouragement as further proof that there is work yet to be done.

So when you make your choices as they relate to your involvement, the only thing left to consider is your timing. And if you are a keen and cautious observer, then you know when to put your choices - and your plans - into action.

" Someone is either butt hurt because the AD doesn't defer to them on promotional ideas anymore"

You, amazingly enough, miss the point again.

I, because I assume you had me in mind and your obsession continues, would like to see our promotions staff defer to earning a paycheck. I could care less where the ideas come from, I just want to see more than "games sell themselves" as a strategy.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

" Someone is either butt hurt because the AD doesn't defer to them on promotional ideas anymore"

You, amazingly enough, miss the point again.

I, because I assume you had me in mind and your obsession continues, would like to see our promotions staff defer to earning a paycheck. I could care less where the ideas come from, I just want to see more than "games sell themselves" as a strategy.

That's the funny thing; if games sold themselves, then why would we waste money paying people to promote them?

And whether the reference was to Emmitt or not, I would like to point out that even when he gets repetitive or overly angry or almost annoying with going to extremes (hey, I didn't say he was the only one so nobody has to point out that I've done the same), the fact is that as far as I'm aware, every time we've done Emmitt's ideas, they've worked. If I missed something, then please tell me when we've actually done (as a school, team, Athletic Department, etc.) what Emmitt came up with and it failed.

Point being: Emmitt gets pissed, pessimistic, negative, or whatever, but he also provides valid ideas and solutions so as to move past current problems and get on with a better situation. I'm not saying we should fire any coach that he doesn't approve of, but since he's both realistic and idealistic (a rare combination), I like hearing his ideas in terms of actual planning for events, spirit, development, etc.

Just because you don't like everything that someone has to say doesn't invalidate the substance of their argument. Let's stop griping for the sake of griping and be aware that great ideas can come from anywhere. It's a great thing when you realize that your verbal opponent could be your greatest asset, comrade, and partner under the right circumstances. Using the passion of opposing viewpoints for a common goal can lead to great achievements.

• Upvote 2

I agree with this 100%. If I were recruiting against UNT I would direct the prospect to this site. "These are the alumni, they know their coach best. He will be gone before you ever put on a jersey. If not this year, certainly next year." Think recruiters against SMU don't remind the prospect that Larry Brown is 73 years old and will either be dead or retired in a few years? Recruiting is a dirty business. You should see "Pony Excess" on ESPN's 30 for 30. It killed the SWC. It is not complacency that stops me from posting that kind of stuff, it is the knowledge that there is a lot of potential damage. It would be different if this was a closed board that would only take UNT alums, but it is open to the world. Google "Fire Benford" and this site pops up. I know that this is not going to stop or discourage anyone from their vitriol and I don't need a lecture on how you are going to change things or how prospects never read this stuff.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I agree with this 100%. If I were recruiting against UNT I would direct the prospect to this site. "These are the alumni, they know their coach best. He will be gone before you ever put on a jersey. If not this year, certainly next year." Think recruiters against SMU don't remind the prospect that Larry Brown is 73 years old and will either be dead or retired in a few years? Recruiting is a dirty business. You should see "Pony Excess" on ESPN's 30 for 30. It killed the SWC. It is not complacency that stops me from posting that kind of stuff, it is the knowledge that there is a lot of potential damage. It would be different if this was a closed board that would only take UNT alums, but it is open to the world. Google "Fire Benford" and this site pops up. I know that this is not going to stop or discourage anyone from their vitriol and I don't need a lecture on how you are going to change things or how prospects never read this stuff.

You raise some excellent points, and I can certainly appreciate this line of thinking. My concern is that a potential recruit might come across this message board and think, "Wow, after such a disappointing season, I expected more of them to be pissed off. I guess they're just so used to sucking that it isn't even a big deal any more."

Based on some posts here, one would think we had been in the middle of a complete and utter rebuilding phase after years of irrelevance heading into this season. In reality, we had been a good team for several years and finally were poised to become a great team on the national stage.

I'm so foolishly optimistic that I actually believe that even without Tony Mitchell we have the talent to have a decent season next year and finish near the top of CUSA--with the right leadership. So, honest question: Did some of you honestly see signs from this season that our current coaching incarnation will bounce back next year with a winning season? If you did not see such signs but you still want to see another year or two out of them, then should I assume that you don't believe our players are very good and that realistically no coach could have won with them? Or, third option, do you simply not advocate a coaching change because you know we can't afford it anyway, so it's best not to even publicly discuss it and admit our financial woes?

• Upvote 3

12-20 is a lot more important than what fans post on a fan opinion board. Not to mention that other universities have a lot more powerful information to use against this program after this season than some idiot fans' (yes, both you and me) opinions.

But, I guess we all like to think we are more important than we really are...

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 3

Message board comments may upset some players parents or friends, but it is hard to believe it is any kind of factor in recruiting.

A football team that has not had a winning season since 2004 and one of the biggest flops by any basketball program ever and someone actually thinks that a message board is the issue. I wonder if some have every read any other board because they all basically the same relative to fan's responses. Win and they get much better but still far from being the utopia some of you expect.

Just prove to me that one player didn't sign with a fb program because of a fan message board. Record, facilities, coaching staff, academics, location, competition, partying, etc.; I just don't see a hostile message board being even a thought among so many more pertinent factors in selecting an University.

• Upvote 2