Fan website to raise money for UNT cheerleaders

Harry

gallery_1_139_357072.jpg

GoMeanGreen.com – a website for dedicated fans of UNT athletics – will host its third annual fundraiser basketball game at 11 a.m. on March 23 at the Strickland Middle School gymnasium. All proceeds benefit UNT cheerleading.

The fundraiser came to life because of former UNT cheerleader, kinesiology senior Matt Sherman. Sherman cheered for the Mean Green for more than three years. He brought the idea for the fundraiser to the attention of event coordinator Mark Miller, a UNT alumnus and member of GoMeanGreen.com.

Sherman said his little sister got him into cheerleading and he learned a lot from the veterans on the UNT squad.

“They showed me how it should be,” Sherman “I wanted to leave the program with something that would keep giving back.”

The event includes a halftime half-court shot contest, a silent auction and a post-game tailgate. Miller said the fundraiser is important because the Mean Green cheer athletes are not receiving athletic scholarships.

“I’ve always been a fan of the cheer squad kids because they do a heck of a job,” Miller said. “They work hard, they’re athletes too. Since they don’t get scholarship money like our athletes do, it was a perfect match for me to do something for these kids that do so much.”

Read more: http://wordpress1.cws.unt.edu/?p=2858

This post has been promoted to an article

I still find it sad that the cheer staff have to raise money.

I agree with you Silver...that's why we do this. I hope you feel "sad" enough to help out with a tad bit of a donation. Checks, cash and credit cards accepted. PM me for the address to send a check, cash can be given at the event and a credit card can be used right here through Harry's link on GMG.Com.

Our event really made a difference for the Cheer Squad last year, and we are hoping to do even better this year. WE have three sponsors this year as well:

M Benjamin Designs

Kokjohn Long Snapping and

Rudy's Country BBQ

In addition several folks have made generous donations of cash or great items for our silent auction. Would love to see you and everyone else at the event on the 23rd.

I can also tell you that the UNT Cheer Squad is no where near alone in Div. 1 athletics in having to raise funds to help support the team. The difference is...these are OUR Cheer Squad team members. And, they work hard, and could use our help and support.

Edited by KRAM1
  • Upvote 2

This story isn't the way I remember it beginning to how we(the board and Mark Miller) wanted to start a fund raiser for the cheerleaders. I believe there is a post in Jan. of 2011 in which the cheerleaders did a really awesome thing and it got the board talking about how we can help support them.

Edited by Travis
  • Upvote 1