UNT paying pretty large guarantee for Idaho

NT03

Great post! I'd like to give you a +1, but where is your +1 button . . .

Hey! Who made this ferner an admin?!?

:P

It's temporary. Although I have been an admin here before when I was doing tech support.

Harry is trying to convince to convert my site to this software and letting me take it on a test drive.

And my point was if you had a better scheduling plan starting 3 or more years ago you could get 1 for 1s to fill this spot.

We didn't get in the position of having to buy a home game in a vacuum.

Again, I applaud the AD for not taking the easy way out and just having another 5 game home schedule. It would be really nice if we can afford to do this and the leadership of this university is willing to do this on a regular basis. Not much evidence of that.

But to present this game as some grand coup is pretty ridiculous. It is what should have been done in this situation. Will we do it again in 2017 (or 2018, too lazy to look it up) when we will again be faced with having to buy a game because we have failed to schedule appropriately? I hope so.

The 2 for 0 with Iowa is just plain mystifying.

I wonder how many of these games were scheduled before Apogee being built.

I don't necessarily think we have to fill all of our non-conference games with home-home series.

I think as long as we still have a money game where we're paid more than we pay an incoming game, we should be ok.

Now, if we don't have a big money game on our schedule, and we pay for a team to come in, then it puts an even bigger burden on the AD staff to fill the stadium for the purchased game.

I don't think it's a grand coup or anything. I'm just glad we're at home against an FBS team to open the season. Now, if we could get a 'gang-of-five' school in here for $410,000... THAT would be a coup.

It's temporary. Although I have been an admin here before when I was doing tech support.

Harry is trying to convince to convert my site to this software and letting me take it on a test drive.

This is how it starts...

First he's test-driving the software, next thing you know, we're posting on www.stAtefans.com or something.

Iowa contract was signed after the student vote. Stadium wasn't here, but we knew it was coming.

Maddening.

For sure. Especially since Iowa seems like a team that would at least do a 2-for-1. It's not like they're in the National championship picture every season, and it's not like they couldn't use some exposure in Texas.

That's a very good price for an FBS.

It's not about selling your opponent. It's about selling North Texas football.

A decade ago, we bought a game with San Jose State. A media member told me recently that was the first time he'd seen Arkansas State ACT like a I-A program since he'd started covering the program.

Things like this matter. Sure it's probably a short-term financial loss but it sends a message to supporters and potential supporters.

THIS! (although I still think that Idaho helps to sell interest in our first game better than the TSU's of the world)

And I would add that in selling North Texas football, you are selling (some of you knew I would eventually go here) the WHOLE GAME EXPERIENCE. This is opening night. This is where everyone puts on their best gear-costumes-uniforms and celebrates THE UNIVERSITY OF NORTH TEXAS. And it sets the tone for the rest of the season. Many on this board couldn't care less for all the extra stuff (aka PAGEANTRY), but that is what sets the college games apart from the pro game experience.

• Upvote 1

For people that think Idaho isn't a step up from Texas Southern, I know the first game of the season pretty much sells itself, but let me give another perspective.

As a college student, a very high percentage of other, more uninformed students kept calling Texas Southern Division II. Most students don't know the difference between FCS (D-IAA) and Division II. That won't be a problem with Idaho, so we should see more students leaving the hill at game time and actually walk into the stadium.

Also, it's harder to sell tickets if potential buyers are being misinformed by others that the game is against a Division II school.

Edited by BillySee58
  • Upvote 2

This is a good game with a potential 25K+ attendance and will have lots of marketing since it's our 100th anniversary. Potential to go 1-0. You people are ridiculous and make me want to bang my head against the wall. Repeatedly. Do you seriously think TEXAS SOUTHERN brings more name recognition than Idaho? Not too smart.

Not more.

About the same.

• Upvote 2

A 2-1 is ok, but it really does not help the scheduling that much. We had to play Kstate last year as part of a 2-1, which meant 5 home games. This year has a very nice OOC slate, with one money game, 2 MAC, and a should-win Idaho. 6 home games. We can start the season 1-0 instead of with a beat down. That sounds about right to me.

I don't know how all the schedule will play out over the coming years, but any year we aren't playing 2 Big Five teams is good because KState and LSU in the same year sucks.

Would I like Iowa to play here? Yes, but riddle me this. Would you want to play Iowa and a money game in the same year? Because you would likely do that 3 times. We don't get the big payday for the 2-1 - the payday is the return game. So we still have to schedule a Texas or Georgia to pay the bills (like for that new baseball team?).

So let's look at the future schedules.

08/30 - at Texas

09/06 - SMU

10/04 - at Indiana (return game 1-1)

Home game (FCS-Idaho type)

09/12 - at SMU

09/26 - at Iowa

Home game (1-1, return in 2019)

09/03 - SMU

09/10 - at Florida

TBA - at Army

TBA - Army

TBA - at Iowa

TBA - at SMU

Home (1-1 return game in 2020)

TBA - at Army

TBA - at Arkansas

TBA - SMU

Home (1-1 return game in 2021 or FCS type)

TBA - Army

Away (Return game from 2015)

Home (1-1, away in 2021 or 2022)

Away Money game

Away (return game from 2017)

Home (1-1 return in 2022 or 2023)

Away Money game

Home FCS

etc

And that is how you do it. 3 winnable OOC games each year for the forseeable future. Really this year could be that way too, but no one can predict which future opponent turns into a bowl team like Ball St and Ohio.

Here is the problem. How many schools are going to play you in 2015 and wait for a return game until 2019?

Idaho, maybe. N.M. St. , maybe. If they get a conference affiliation, forget about it.

You suggest that we can do multiple one and ones with the opponent waiting multiple years for the return game. Really? Why would the opponent do that. Some will demand the first game be at their place. No possible way for the schedule to be made as you suggest.

The Iowa 2 for 0 really screws up any chance of having a 6 game home schedule consistently. If we can't get completely out of that series, you will hear the typical excuses from the AD (had to sacrafice a 5 game home season for that great schedule in 2013 will be one).

Yes, I know we played Ball St. and Ohio in 2009 and the return games are this year, but we hosted Ohio and played Ball St on the road. They are both members of the same conference. This is also the exception, not the rule.

We are in a deep, deep hole in scheduling, thanks to the Iowa series. Multiple 5 game home game seasons looks to be the only way out.

Edited by UNT90

Here is the problem. How many schools are going to play you in 2015 and wait for a return game until 2019?

Idaho, maybe. N.M. St. , maybe. If they get a conference affiliation, forget about it.

You suggest that we can do multiple one and ones with the opponent waiting multiple years for the return game. Really? Why would the opponent do that. Some will demand the first game be at their place. No possible way for the schedule to be made as you suggest.

The Iowa 2 for 0 really screws up any chance of having a 6 game home schedule consistently. If we can't get completely out of that series, you will hear the typical excuses from the AD (had to sacrafice a 5 game home season for that great schedule in 2013 will be one).

Yes, I know we played Ball St. and Ohio in 2009 and the return games are this year, but we hosted Ohio and played Ball St on the road. They are both members of the same conference. This is also the exception, not the rule.

We are in a deep, deep hole in scheduling, thanks to the Iowa series. Multiple 5 game home game seasons looks to be the only way out.

Why cite the Iowa games, these are the most winnable guaranteed games that NT has scheduled Is UT or Florida better?

If guarantee or money games are a part of the schedule plan, Iowa sounds like a good idea to me.

I'm with everybody who favors this Idaho game. Almost all of the upper-tier teams that go bowling, if you look at their schedules, pad their wins with at least 2 FCS or low-end FBS (us included) teams per year. I know we have a long way to go before we're at that point, but playing like the big boys play isn't a bad thing as long as we stay above reproach on the ethics issues.

I'm with everybody who favors this Idaho game. Almost all of the upper-tier teams that go bowling, if you look at their schedules, pad their wins with at least 2 FCS or low-end FBS (us included) teams per year. I know we have a long way to go before we're at that point, but playing like the big boys play isn't a bad thing as long as we stay above reproach on the ethics issues.

Only one FCS win can count towards bowl eligibility, so rarely do you see anyone schedule two.

Why cite the Iowa games, these are the most winnable guaranteed games that NT has scheduled Is UT or Florida better?

If guarantee or money games are a part of the schedule plan, Iowa sounds like a good idea to me.

I agree....Iowa was 4-8 last year....much better playing them over most any SEC team.

• Upvote 3

I cite the Iowa games because it is a 2-0 when it should be a 1 for 1 or, at the very minimum, a 2 for one. We have 2 dates away for nothing more than a pile of money.

If ULM can get a 1 for 1 with Wake Forrest, we should be able to do the same with Iowa.

We don't. Ever.

The Iowa games also SEVERLY limit scheduling flexibility for a number of years.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 3

I cite the Iowa games because it is a 2-0 when it should be a 1 for 1 or, at the very minimum, a 2 for one. We have 2 dates away for nothing more than a pile of money.

If ULM can get a 1 for 1 with Wake Forrest, we should be able to do the same with Iowa.

We don't. Ever.

UNT90 is dead-on here. And, by the way, we were told that Apogee would bring in teams like Iowa. So far, its best opponent was Houston and its best future opponents are SMU and Army. Hell, the old dump across the highway could still get us games with Army and SMU, even Houston. SMU's future OOC home games include Texas Tech and Baylor at home this year, TCU and A&M the following year, and then then Baylor and us in 2015. That's a great home schedule for OOC. I'm sorry, but when I see freakin' ULM HOSTING Baylor and Wake Forest in the same time that a new stadium in the DFW Metroplex will host Texas Southern, Idaho, and Ball State, I find that ridiculous. I know that most of the Southern Big XII schools play regularly here in the DFW area now, whether its at TCU or SMU or at games in JerryWorld or the Cotton Bowl, but there are other teams that would like to play a game down here. You can't tell me that Kansas, KSU, Iowa State, Mizzou, Colorado, even Nebraska, wouldn't be open to a game down here. That's not even talking about BYU, AFA, Colorado State, New Mexico (worst team in FBS), and Boise State as possible OOC opponents that surely wouldn't turn their noses up at a series in Texas. I still think its amazing that Iowa was allowed to get two home games with us for no return, even if they are looked at as a money game. That's still just ridiculous.

UNT90 is dead-on here. And, by the way, we were told that Apogee would bring in teams like Iowa. So far, its best opponent was Houston and its best future opponents are SMU and Army. Hell, the old dump across the highway could still get us games with Army and SMU, even Houston. SMU's future OOC home games include Texas Tech and Baylor at home this year, TCU and A&M the following year, and then then Baylor and us in 2015. That's a great home schedule for OOC. I'm sorry, but when I see freakin' ULM HOSTING Baylor and Wake Forest in the same time that a new stadium in the DFW Metroplex will host Texas Southern, Idaho, and Ball State, I find that ridiculous. I know that most of the Southern Big XII schools play regularly here in the DFW area now, whether its at TCU or SMU or at games in JerryWorld or the Cotton Bowl, but there are other teams that would like to play a game down here. You can't tell me that Kansas, KSU, Iowa State, Mizzou, Colorado, even Nebraska, wouldn't be open to a game down here. That's not even talking about BYU, AFA, Colorado State, New Mexico (worst team in FBS), and Boise State as possible OOC opponents that surely wouldn't turn their noses up at a series in Texas. I still think its amazing that Iowa was allowed to get two home games with us for no return, even if they are looked at as a money game. That's still just ridiculous.

To be honest, I bet if we can just WIN, the demand will go up and Apogee will fill up to the point where we may be able to buy out at least one of those Iowa games, and maybe some others (FL please) in order to schedule some better games. If things stay status quo (and status quo is not good) then this is going to be the type of schedule we're stuck with for years to come.

We don't. Ever.

I guess you don't understand the concept of a money game. You are dreaming about a 1 and 1 with a Big ten school but overlooking that, what is the difference if you play Iowa twice away or Alabama or LSU?

A 2 for 1 means that you don't get the payoff of an guaranteed game and further screws up your home schedule.

Good for ULM getting a 1 and 1 with Wake Forest but that is nothing like getting one with Iowa. Wake Forest plays in a 31,500 stadium and has an announced average attendance of 28,900, not hardy a team that can afford big guarantees. Iowa's average announced home attendance last year was 70,700.

Edited by GrandGreen
  • Upvote 1

To be honest, I bet if we can just WIN, the demand will go up and Apogee will fill up to the point where we may be able to buy out at least one of those Iowa games, and maybe some others (FL please) in order to schedule some better games. If things stay status quo (and status quo is not good) then this is going to be the type of schedule we're stuck with for years to come.

I doubt we will ever buyout either of those opponents, especially Florida, even if we were to start winning, since the money from those games pays so much of the bills around here for the AD. I think that most of us thought that Apogee would allow us to at least host a game at home against mid level AQs more often, like Troy has done or ULL and now ULM are doing. I don't mind playing at Florida if it also means that we play someone like South Florida here in Denton. Troy made their way up in the minds of many in the FBS world by hosting and beating ranked teams like Mizzou and Okie State. Those wins, as well as near misses at Georgia, LSU, and Ohio State over the years did more for Troy than any win over a SBC team did. Southern Miss was the same way for many years, too.

I guess you don't understand the concept of a money game. You are dreaming about a 1 and 1 with a Big ten school but overlooking that, what is the difference if you play Iowa twice away or Alabama or LSU?

A 2 for 1 means that you don't get the payoff of an guaranteed game and further screws up your home schedule.

If Iowa is a money game, then so be it, but you have to admit that we were told that Apogee would bring in opponents of similar stature as Iowa as HOME games. If Iowa is the money game for those years, that's fine and I actually love that because they are more beatable than the ridiculous SEC/Texas/Oklahoma massacre that we have always scheduled as our bodybag game. But if I think of Big Ten opponents that wouldn't be open to a home-and-home series, Iowa doesn't come to mind. Michigan, Michigan State, Wisconsin, Penn State, and Ohio State are different animals altogether, but I've seen Iowa play Northern Illinois in Chicago, I've seen Minnesota play at ULL and FAU, and I've seen Indiana come here. Iowa, to me, is more like the B1G teams mentioned in the previous sentence and that's why most of us thought we would see them come here for a game.

This will be the schedule we will be stuck with for years to come because of the people planning the schedule.

And get ready for at least 2 five home game seasons before 2019.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1