Alabama Huntsville was 87 days ago

CMJ

We need leadership change from our Chancellor down to the basketball coach. I doubt we see any. I never saw RV tonight and apparently Hank was not doing radio either. I'd be up for making Hank the AD.

If RV does go, Hank is not the answer. He may be the well liked by the alumni base, but we need to look somewhere else with new ideas.

• Upvote 1

Hope for the best.

If we win out on the regular season, sweep through Hot Springs, earn the auto-bid, win the play-in game, and then go on to be the first ever 16 seed to upset a #1... We could still win 20 games this year.

Sopranos-final-shot.jpg

What's the chance we even hit ten wins?

• Upvote 1

Hope for the best.

If we win out on the regular season, sweep through Hot Springs, earn the auto-bid, win the play-in game, and then go on to be the first ever 16 seed to upset a #1... We could still win 20 games this year.

Sopranos-final-shot.jpg

LOL. You sound like Hank and George doing the broadcast tonight. I had never heard spin like that for such a disastrous season.

• Upvote 3

I feel bad for Benford. He was a career assistant, watched other guys get their shot (some succeed, others fail), many younger than he is. I am sure he wondered why he never got that promotion ANYWHERE. He finally gets his shot...a dream situation for a first time coach really....really good returning lineup, average league (so you should be able to make noise), in an area that you visited recruiting at other coaching stops.

I am sure he thought he was ready. On paper he was deserving of a head job somewhere. But now he, along with us, is realizing that all those AD's who interviewed and passed him over were no idiots. Benford must be wondering what he got into.

That's alright coach - we are wondering the same thing.

• Upvote 6

But now he, along with us, is realizing that all those AD's who interviewed and passed him over were no idiots.

Say we buy out Benford, who's in charge of hiring his replacement? Do we go with a consulting group again like we did with McCarney? How much does that cost?

I imagine that the folks who'd be called upon to fund the buyout must not be terribly comfortable with the idea that our current leadership is capable of making a good, solid hire. I know that I'm not, but I'm not capable of donating hundreds of thousands or millions to help right the ship.

• Upvote 1

Here are a couple of marketing ideas:

1. Start a Fire Benford project on Kickstarter. Get people around the country to chip in, say, $5. It doesn't even matter if they know UNT or basketball; people on Kickstarter just want to help out something that will help humanity.

The Kickstarter ethic says each contributor should receive something of value. My suggestion: a completely obstructed view seat in the Pit. As in this Cubs spoof story from Chicago Side Sports:

2. "In response to extensive market research, the Chicago Cubs announced today that they would expand the capacity of Wrigley Field by adding 5,000 seats in which it would be impossible to see the baseball field.

These seats—categorized as “completely obstructed”—would be located throughout the ballpark, behind bathroom walls, snack bars, and storage closets. Ticket prices would be dramatically lower than traditional “viewing seats,” starting at only $20.

“We asked customers what we could do to help them enjoy the Wrigley experience more,” said team chairman Tom Ricketts. “They said they wanted lower prices and they said they couldn’t stand watching the poor quality of baseball they’ve seen played in recent years. So, this solution addresses both their wishes. Not only are these seats inexpensive, there’s no possible way you’ll see any baseball. We guarantee it.”

• Upvote 1

I feel bad for Benford. He was a career assistant, watched other guys get their shot (some succeed, others fail), many younger than he is. I am sure he wondered why he never got that promotion ANYWHERE. He finally gets his shot...a dream situation for a first time coach really....really good returning lineup, average league (so you should be able to make noise), in an area that you visited recruiting at other coaching stops.

I am sure he thought he was ready. On paper he was deserving of a head job somewhere. But now he, along with us, is realizing that all those AD's who interviewed and passed him over were no idiots. Benford must be wondering what he got into.

That's alright coach - we are wondering the same thing.

One thought that I've had on this issue is that it is doing Benford a disservice to keep him around past this season. If you let him go after a single disastrous season then the situation (from afar) looks as though both parties quickly realized that they weren't a good match for one another and promptly parted ways--each one seeking greener pastures. By contrast, if you REALLY let him drive this bus off the cliff over the course of another season or two, or three, then his reputation will be damaged beyond repair. Despite this season's immense failures, I actually think he could land a high-profile assistant gig for next year. After a few more successful years recruiting and winning as an assistant, who knows? He could even get another shot at being a head coach. However, if he ends up essentially destroying our program for years to come, and if it becomes known that recruits won't go near the guy, then it's possible that he won't ever work for a Division I program again.

No one wins by dragging the poor guy through a few more years of humiliation.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Benford is done as a HC at this level, no matter what if he is terminated, now or a couple of years down the line.

Also, I don't think NT is completely without options. Obviously, they can terminate him and honor the full contract. But they could also play hard ball and reassign him to something else and insist that he actually does the job. This would be a big embarrassment to him and NT would have an employee that probably would or couldn't do the job. Not good for either party, but it could create a negotiated settlement. It has also been reported that his contract has an offset clause, were any future salary in the contract term would be deducted from the NT payment.

It might be attractive to both parties to agree to something like an immediate pay off, something significant less than NT would have to pay under the current contract, but would give Benford a substantial amount of money and allow him complete freedom to pursue other activities. He should be able to find another job at the level he had before and have made a lot of money for one year of questionable work at NT.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Benford is done as a HC at this level, no matter what if he is terminated, now or a couple of years down the line.

Woah! Even I can see that he could be given an opportunity to rebuild things as an assistant, and prove to others that he learned what he did wrong.

I think he's still pretty young.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Woah! Even I can see that he could be given an opportunity to rebuild things as an assistant, and prove to others that he learned what he did wrong.

I think he's still pretty young.

Geez, who say anything about what he deserves. Also HC stands for head coach not assistant.

I don't think anyone is going to hire Benford as a head coach for a division 1 program if he get fired here. Has absolutely nothing to do with what he deserves and no one is abvocating restricting him in any matter. In fact if you read the whole post, that is kind of pointed out.

• Upvote 1

Geez, who say anything about what he deserves. Also HC stands for head coach not assistant.

I don't think anyone is going to hire Benford as a head coach for a division 1 program if he get fired here. Has absolutely nothing to do with what he deserves and no one is abvocating restricting him in any matter. In fact if you read the whole post, that is kind of pointed out.

Sorry, I wasn't very clear about what I meant.

I feel like Benford will be given a chance as an assistant, rebuild his rep, and given a second chance someday as a HC.