Louisiana Lafayette (1/31/13)

CMJ

I was talking to my wife in the bathroom and she told me that we should be good by Hot Springs. We will have guys back from injuries and Chris Jones has been sitting behind Coach Benford and learning all the tricks of the trade. Plus I played with some ex boys club basketball players at the Rec and they said the Benford offense is working and I believe those guys over CMJ and Tasty and etc.....

I admire your optimism. Although your friends from the Rec probably are not the best sources for info. Don't let the pessimists rain on your parade.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

I have to admit that this is the worst season I have ever experienced as a UNT fan. To have so much promise to start the season, it's almost unthinkable to believe we could be this bad with Mitchell healthy. And to know that the new coach cannot even come close to identifying the issue is beyond pathetic. What's even more awful, though, is the clear reality that Benford will be here as our head coach for the next two years beyond this abortion of a season. I've said it before and I'll say it again--we may be stuck with him, but we shouldn't be stuck with the guy who hired him, Todd Dodge, and Shanice Stephens. Almost every other university of our size would fire their AD for making two poor hires in one of the money sports, much less the absolute worst hires in the school's history for each sport. I know I'm preaching to the choir here, but I really thought out university had finally decided to care enough about athletics to fund them at a level that a decent non-AQ should expect, thru facilities and coaching. But if we keep Benford for anything beyond next year with similar Trilli-esque results as this year has shown, as well as a subpar year in football (under 4 wins) that still doesn't cause a change there, either, I'm really going to just give up as a UNT fan. We aren't getting anything close to what we should expect from the leadership of this university at any level in regards to athletics. Just because you finally build a stadium twenty years later than you should have doesn't mean that you've done your job in adequately upgrading athletics. You have to make the commitment to pay coaches a competitive salary, but you also have to recognize when the commitment to those coaches are hurting your program beyond the costs of a buyout. If your AD can actually pick a coach, you shouldn't have to deal with a buyout, anyway (see Jones, Johnny).

• Upvote 4

When are we going to get serious about pressuring the administration to fire RV? Can't we all agree that it really is ultimately his fault for being an inept judge on coaching quality? The TD hire should have been enough for grounds of termination, but now with Benford in the mix, it's time for him [RV] to go, and, of course, Benford.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Don't know how much I can blame RV on the hire. Every fan, pundent, and publication was raving about the hire when it occurred. I don't think anyone saw this coming. This program was on the verge of big things, we have been set back at least 5years on that now.

Actually, NT is back 10 years to 02-03 when NT went 2-13 in the Belt. Next worse is 6-9, a .400 record, something NT won't come close to this year. Not to even factor in this was supposed to be the most talented teams in school history.

I am not sure every one was raving about this hire, there was a reason that Benford had never been hired as a HC. I think many were applauding that Benford got the job after serving as a long time assistant and his prior relationship with some of the players was a plus.

He said all the right things but now those statements just make him look that more incompetent. Coleman is a Big East type center, Mitchell should lead the nation in rebounding, going to emphasize defense, mentioned NT as a possible top 25 type program, etc.

Not everyone is head coach material, Benford made his bones being primarily a recruiter and judging from the result thus far, that is were he should have stayed.

Edited by GrandGreen
  • Upvote 3

I wish i could complain about how bad Benford sucks, how much this team is underachieving and how much time it steals from me.... alas I gave up watching and listening about this team a month ago, and just watch the Final results (this one hurt even if you limit yourself to only that). I decided to give up on the regular season and only watch the tournament.

We are lucky the sunbelt lets all teams play in the tournament. imagine if they'd say only the best 8 make it, we would have to sweat it!

• Upvote 1

Don't know how much I can blame RV on the hire. Every fan, pundent, and publication was raving about the hire when it occurred. I don't think anyone saw this coming. This program was on the verge of big things, we have been set back at least 5years on that now.

Uh, I think a couple of people on here were very leery of the hire. One that immediately comes to mind is TTG. Several of us mentioned the fact that he had no head coaching experience and that we were told that would not happen again and wonered what changed.

Even after he landed a couple of good recruts, it was noted that while the recruits were nice, we sill didn't know if he could coach, and why were we signing a bunch of power forwards.

You just remember the constant cheerleading.

• Upvote 5

Uh, I think a couple of people on here were very leery of the hire. One that immediately comes to mind is TTG. Several of us mentioned the fact that he had no head coaching experience and that we were told that would not happen again and wonered what changed.

Even after he landed a couple of good recruts, it was noted that while the recruits were nice, we sill didn't know if he could coach, and why were we signing a bunch of power forwards.

You just remember the constant cheerleading.

I'm going to blame texas tech for all of this. It is their intention to dismantle unt basketball by infiltrating it and destroying it from the inside out.

Please make Lundy the head coach. That is the single most intelligent thing i have seen posted by sivandrew. It also might be the only intelligent thing ive seen him post, but i dont read all off his posts. Someone tell me what anwar does.

• Upvote 1

Actually, NT is back 10 years to 02-03 when NT went 2-13 in the Belt. Next worse is 6-9, a .400 record, something NT won't come close to this year. Not to even factor in this was supposed to be the most talented teams in school history.

I am not sure every one was raving about this hire, there was a reason that Benford had never been hired as a HC. I think many were applauding that Benford got the job after serving as a long time assistant and his prior relationship with some of the players was a plus.

He said all the right things but now those statements just make him look that more incompetent. Coleman is a Big East type center, Mitchell should lead the nation in rebounding, going to emphasize defense, mentioned NT as a possible top 25 type program, etc.

Not everyone is head coach material, Benford made his bones being primarily a recruiter and judging from the result thus far, that is were he should have stayed.

I'm not as up to date on how good of a recruiter he is. Who has he been responsible for recruiting?