Breaking news — UNT lands Jermaine Antoine

Harry

So that leaves us down to our last scholarship......who will it be?

Smart DL (soft Tulane, Visits UNT this weekend)

Tebo DL (wants to commit, visited UNT last weekend)

Dean DB (Visiting Arkansas this weekend)

Woods LB (Visiting UNT this weekend)

If we can land any two (or more) of those then I'd bet that we'll ask a couple of earlier commits to grayshirt. If one of those is Dean then I can easily see Antoine as a receiver. Most of his videos are geared toward offense and he had over 500 receiving yards last year with about 600 rushing yards. He's also a good kickoff returner (3 for TDs) so he's very adept at carrying the ball. But, I'm sure that the coaching staff will use hime where he is most needed.

T

• Upvote 1

If we can land any two (or more) of those then I'd bet that we'll ask a couple of earlier commits to grayshirt. If one of those is Dean then I can easily see Antoine as a receiver. Most of his videos are geared toward offense and he had over 500 receiving yards last year with about 600 rushing yards. He's also a good kickoff returner (3 for TDs) so he's very adept at carrying the ball. But, I'm sure that the coaching staff will use hime where he is most needed.

T

That's the beauty of the "Athlete" label, is that these guys are good enough to line up anywhere on the field for us. Think of how effective Hamilton was for us as relief for Lance. He was a QB in H.S. and we got him as an "Athlete". These are the kind of guys we need.

I'm excited to see where Antoine lines up for us, and would not be surprised if he is playing next year.

I want Woods for that last scholly. I don't know, I just have flashbacks of Mo Holman, Craig Robertson and Z. Orr.

After that I'll take any of em!

This is the kind of kid I'm glad to see us sign. Had other legit offers, has speed, and can be utilized all over. These guys make you better in all three phases.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

a guy with 7 FBS offers for a versatile player that can fill a need almost whereever we have a need... that should be the kind of recruiting that propells the team forward.

That said we seem to be a bit short on schollies to give out for the remainder right now. And it seems the staff is reallly good at reeling them in late, but maybe was a bit scared of being left at the altar too many times early in the process. I would hate for NT to throw someone out with only a few weeks to go.

Do we really want to mess with only Denton kid that has wanted to play football at UNT in years???

Not necessarily, but it seems obvious that he is the lowest rated DB, and maybe player, in this class. He didn't have the type of year expected of him and he can probably easily afford a semester's tuition. This has nothing to do with ruining a potential relationship with a local school and everything to do with making the best decision for North Texas.

Not necessarily, but it seems obvious that he is the lowest rated DB, and maybe player, in this class. He didn't have the type of year expected of him and he can probably easily afford a semester's tuition. This has nothing to do with ruining a potential relationship with a local school and everything to do with making the best decision for North Texas.

He's one of the few commits we had with a "big 5" offer.

Really, where are your getting your "lowest rated player" info? Scout has him as one of the few ranked at his position (the #149 safety, Chad Davis is the #146 CB). Rivals doesn't show a single commit rated higher than he is (5.4).

Edited by Mean Green 93-98

My point had to do with quality of offers, a measure of quality of recruit.

I know. My point was that I don't think that Washington State wouldn't take his commitment even if he wanted to commit to them at this point, thus he essentially has no other true scholarship offers other than us.

Edited by BillySee58

He's one of the few commits we had with a "big 5" offer.

Really, where are your getting your "lowest rated player" info? Scout has him as one of the few ranked at his position (the #149 safety, Chad Davis is the #146 CB). Rivals doesn't show a single commit rated higher than he is (5.4).

First, Rivals dropped Davis' rating from 3 to 2 stars after his commitment to us, so I don't think they are too terribly reliable. Second, based off those that have seen him play this year, he hasn't been impressive and third, he is nowhere to be found on the DRC's All Area Teams. Not trying to hurt feelings, just calling it like I see it.

• Upvote 1

Back to the issue at hand, mr Antoine, are we sure this kid doesn't need to be a rb or Wr? This is quite a highlight video. I am no scout, and my 5 year old woke me up about 30 minutes ago....having trouble going back to sleep... so I may be a bit loopy, but this kid needs the ball in his hands.... If he is a db, we should be treated to some exhilarating pick 6's. No question he should be in the mix to return punts and knockoffs.

I would say this kid fits the description of athlete that can make plays in space.

• Upvote 2

And his 40 yard speed is ? ? ? ? ?

As long as Coach Mac and Company recruit big linemen with appropriate size, queet feet, etc, and skill position types plus DB's with 4.4 (or close to it) speeds I don't care how many Rivals stars these kids would have. But as they old saying goes....You cannot coach speed. Having a QB who can be a game changer is not a bad asset to have, either.

Boise State (my all time model for UNT) was able to reach the next level because of (mostly) overall good to great team speed. You could see it in their big bowl win over OU several years ago.

GMG!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

First, Rivals dropped Davis' rating from 3 to 2 stars after his commitment to us, so I don't think they are too terribly reliable. Second, based off those that have seen him play this year, he hasn't been impressive and third, he is nowhere to be found on the DRC's All Area Teams. Not trying to hurt feelings, just calling it like I see it.

Okay, Rivals' ratings may not be the most perfectly reliable, but you have to go by somebody's ratings to call him "the lowest rated DB, and maybe player, in this class," as you did. So whose ratings are you going by? A couple of people posting on a message board? Dave Campbell's listed him as a "Title-caliber recruit," adding, "UNT got a steal when they picked up a verbal from Schilleci."

I'm not saying he won't need a little "umm...seasoning," but it's simply a lie to say that he is our lowest rated DB, much less recruit. And suggesting he should be grayshirted is not how you build goodwill with a recruit and his family who turned down at Pac 12 offer to play at UNT, and its not how you build goodwill toward recruiting the Denton high schools (see Leach and Desoto).

• Upvote 5

Okay, Rivals' ratings may not be the most perfectly reliable, but you have to go by somebody's ratings to call him "the lowest rated DB, and maybe player, in this class," as you did. So whose ratings are you going by? A couple of people posting on a message board? Dave Campbell's listed him as a "Title-caliber recruit," adding, "UNT got a steal when they picked up a verbal from Schilleci."

I'm not saying he won't need a little "umm...seasoning," but it's simply a lie to say that he is our lowest rated DB, much less recruit. And suggesting he should be grayshirted is not how you build goodwill with a recruit and his family who turned down at Pac 12 offer to play at UNT, and its not how you build goodwill toward recruiting the Denton high schools (see Leach and Desoto).

I, for one, am very excited to see Schilleci on the field. He seems to like contact and we need more guys on the field who aren't afraid to hit.

• Upvote 1

They based that on the results of his Junior year. I would say he didn't live up to those expectations this past season not even garnering All Area by the DRC and making 2nd team all district at safety. Hope I am wrong and didn't mean to upset you Mrs. Schilleci.

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2