UNT picks up CB commit Chad Davis

Harry

Well excuse me for wanting to upgrade our talent level. I like Whitfield and want him on the field in a position he can best succeed. While he made some plays, that was also a function of how often he got picked on. He is undersized and that was exploited by some bigger receivers. I would rather see Whitfield covering guys in the slot vs. all alone on an island on the outside. We can win CUSA with Whitfield as our 3rd cb. I like him, I would just like to have some better options in front of him.

You lost me when you mentioned size since Whitfield is the bigger of the two.

Welcome aboard Mr. Davis.

Edited by Harry
  • Upvote 2

Well excuse me for wanting to upgrade our talent level. I like Whitfield and want him on the field in a position he can best succeed. While he made some plays, that was also a function of how often he got picked on. He is undersized and that was exploited by some bigger receivers. I would rather see Whitfield covering guys in the slot vs. all alone on an island on the outside. We can win CUSA with Whitfield as our 3rd cb. I like him, I would just like to have some better options in front of him.

If your looking to upgrade, you should mention the corner that didn't make the all-conference team.

• Upvote 1

Since when is 5'9 bigger than 5'10? And if Whitfield is actually 5'9 then Brandon Kennedy was 6'0.
So you don't believe Whitfield's roster height, but you do believe Davis's roster height?

Dirty little secret for you: The lower the competition level you go, the bigger the lies are about measurables.

Whitfield was 2nd team all conference as a redshirt freshman playing a new position. Jackson wasn't anywhere on the all-conference team. Whitfield also won a defensive award at the football banquet. Think I will go with the opinion of this staff and other conference coaches.

The odd man out, if there even is one, won't be Whitfield.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 2

So you don't believe Whitfield's roster height, but you do believe Davis's roster height?

Dirty little secret for you: The lower the competition level you go, the bigger the lies are about measurables.

Whitfield was 2nd team all conference as a redshirt freshman playing a new position. Jackson wasn't anywhere on the all-conference team. Whitfield also won a defensive award at the football banquet. Think I will go with the opinion of this staff and other conference coaches.

The odd man out, if there even is one, won't be Whitfield.

I have seen Whitfield in person. That is why I doubt his listed height. I do, however, usually trust the recruiting sites about height/weight. I do not trust a listed high school 40 time, which are almost always inaccurate.

I understand you want to replace the eagle statue on the field at Apogee with one of Whitfield because he made 2nd team All Sun Belt as a redshirt freshman. I believe Whitifield can be solid contributor on a winning team, but I would like to see us recruit players better than him..

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I have seen Whitfield in person. That is why I doubt his listed height. I do, however, usually trust the recruiting sites about height/weight. I do not trust a listed high school 40 time, which are almost always inaccurate. I understand you want to replace the eagle statue on the field at Apogee with one of Whitfield because he made 2nd team All Sun Belt as a redshirt freshman. I believe Whitifield can be solid contributor on a winning team, but I would like to see us recruit players better than him..
Davis is closer to 5'11 than 5'10. And he has legit track speed considering he runs the 4x1 and was on the 4x2 that went to state. He is a legit 4.40 forty and may get faster considering he has another track season where he and his team are favorites to return to state. The only issue for Davis will be learning the defense and playing against stronger competition since he is moving up to college level. I doubt he has over 60 yards caught on him in over 2 years, and fort bend has a lot of athletes. Speed and quickness will not be an issue.
  • Upvote 2

Davis is an excellent pick up. Very exciting to land two corners like he and Jones. They look like impact guys. Makes you wonder if Freddie Warner and / or a couple of other players in the back end of the D are on thin ice, have grade issues, are academic casualties, or simply are disappointing the staff with their performance and have been told they need to move on? It will certainly be an interesting spring and fall camp.

• Upvote 1

Davis is closer to 5'11 than 5'10. And he has legit track speed considering he runs the 4x1 and was on the 4x2 that went to state. He is a legit 4.40 forty and may get faster considering he has another track season where he and his team are favorites to return to state. The only issue for Davis will be learning the defense and playing against stronger competition since he is moving up to college level. I doubt he has over 60 yards caught on him in over 2 years, and fort bend has a lot of athletes. Speed and quickness will not be an issue.

Although I kinda agree with Zen that Whitfield might be better at covering slot receivers, I just wanted to point out that Whitfield was anchor on his 4X1 relay team at Sherman, and I believe they went to state as well in 2011.

Either way, this is a good problem to have!

• Upvote 1

I have seen Whitfield in person. That is why I doubt his listed height. I do, however, usually trust the recruiting sites about height/weight. I do not trust a listed high school 40 time, which are almost always inaccurate.

I understand you want to replace the eagle statue on the field at Apogee with one of Whitfield because he made 2nd team All Sun Belt as a redshirt freshman. I believe Whitifield can be solid contributor on a winning team, but I would like to see us recruit players better than him..

I just think its funny that you want to replace one of the consensus 4 best cornerbacks in the Sun Belt with a high school player.

• Upvote 1

We are going to have 3 CB's on the field a lot I suspect. If nobody leaves the program, we will have 17 returning DB's plus the new guys. If the secondary is not better than last year, something is terribly wrong.

Good post. And the key point is that we should be able to have 3 CBs on the field next season, a luxury we apparently did not have this past season. So, whoever the top 2 end up being, that 3rd CB will be on the field often. Especially if the defense can keep forcing opponents into 3rd down passing situations.

• Upvote 1

Good post. And the key point is that we should be able to have 3 CBs on the field next season, a luxury we apparently did not have this past season. So, whoever the top 2 end up being, that 3rd CB will be on the field often. Especially if the defense can keep forcing opponents into 3rd down passing situations.

Yep. And I'm still holding out a little hope for Warner as well...

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...