UNT lands Louisville transfer safety Zed Evans

THOR

Multiple sources within the UNT athletic department confirmed this afternoon that Louisville defensive back and former Segoville standout Zed Evans is in the process of transferring to UNT to use his final year of eligibility.

Evans will play in the Sugar Bowl and then join the Mean Green in time for spring practice. Evans will graduate before leaving Louisville, which will allow him to be eligible immediately at UNT.

read more: http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/2012/12/breaking-news-unt-lands-louisville-transfer.html/

• Upvote 3

I am not the least bit concerned with this kid's playing time (or lack thereof) at Louisville. He's a one year player who you get to roll the dice on for free. If he's good enough to hold down the SS spot...good. If he's able to be a situational nickel or dime DB...good. If all he ever does is improve your special teams...good. There can be no real down side here, even if he just pushes your starters in practice.

• Upvote 4

He does not count against the 25 -- since he is a mid term he would count against the 85 which we have always struggled to hit. His graduation allowing him to immediately play without sitting out makes him pretty desirable to us.

How do you figure that he does not count? It would be great if he doesn't count, but I am not sure why he would not.

Harry already said why. Mid-term... Not Fall.

Solid pick up in my opinion.

Now matter how he ends up counting against our scholarship allotment, I like the pick up. We're bringing in an apparently smart, mature and motivated player from a 10-2 Big East team about to go play in the Sugar Bowl. If nothing else, he'll add experienced depth and help out on our suspect special teams...and costs him a scholarship for just one season.

• Upvote 2

Now matter how he ends up counting against our scholarship allotment, I like the pick up. We're bringing in an apparently smart, mature and motivated player from a 10-2 Big East team about to go play in the Sugar Bowl. If nothing else, he'll add experienced depth and help out on our suspect special teams...and costs him a scholarship for just one season.

when you consider how long it takes to get a player to this level of experience, all the time paying for a ship, this is a real bargain.

• Upvote 4

Mel Daniels?

Not who I had in mind.

I suppose that every generation of North Texas fans could offer up their own opinion on this. In MY opinion, the answer would be Sears Woods ( a 1975 transfer from a small Okla school) #20 on your program. He was the team leader for all purpose yards that year (816). Not impressive numbers, but the most important of the "all purpose yards" was his kick-off return for a TD that won the Tennessee game for us.

I think about him every time I hear a coach talking about how so-and-so made (or needs to make) a big play.

Edited by SilverEagle
  • Upvote 2