My New Helmet Design

cdizzle86

So you want something different on each side? Not my first choice but better than what we have now. In fact, it kinda looks old school which would please McCarney. However, the white helmet is a big no-no for many on this board because of the Dodge years.

If we banned some aspect of a uniform design because of each failed former coach we might have to take the field in jockstraps.

• Upvote 1

To sell to R.V., the helmet must have "North Texas" on it,no exceptions. Assuming that , try hemets with "North Texas" on one side, and on the other a number,SOW,Talon,or "Mean Green". Rick wants to minimize references to "Eagles", and will not use "UNT",so your best bet in my opinion would be "Mean Green" on one side and "NORTH TEXAS" on the other.Put a few together and send to him, with the understanding that including "NORTH TEXAS " and excluding a references to "EAGLES" is non negotiable based upon conversations I have had with him on the subject. The golf team uses a " Talon" with "MEAN GREEN" in the middle, which I think looks good. However, big difference between the exposure of a school golf bag and university football helmet. Good luck, and don't give up. You have some great ideas and graphics.

• Upvote 1

To sell to R.V., the helmet must have "North Texas" on it,no exceptions. Assuming that , try hemets with "North Texas" on one side, and on the other a number,SOW,Talon,or "Mean Green". Rick wants to minimize references to "Eagles", and will not use "UNT",so your best bet in my opinion would be "Mean Green" on one side and "NORTH TEXAS" on the other.Put a few together and send to him, with the understanding that including "NORTH TEXAS " and excluding a references to "EAGLES" is non negotiable based upon conversations I have had with him on the subject. The golf team uses a " Talon" with "MEAN GREEN" in the middle, which I think looks good. However, big difference between the exposure of a school golf bag and university football helmet. Good luck, and don't give up. You have some great ideas and graphics.

Thanks Wardly. I completely agree that it will probably need to have "North Texas" on the helmet somewhere. My next version was going to incorporate that into the helmet. I wasn't sure how yet, but I will keep working on it.

No disrespect cdizzle86, but why do we have to copy what other people are doing with their helmets and uniforms?

And to our thickheaded Athletics Director, RV, why the obsession with North Texas being spelled out across both sides of the helmet? Has it really raised awareness of our "brand", from a marketing standpoint? Rick, why not make 99% of your remaining fans happy and have the "son of worm" designed into the helmet? Have four or five designs posted on this message board and among the UNT students, let everyone vote on it, and may the best design win. Rick, give the fans, students and Alumni, what they want rather than what you want. The North Texas helmets look bushleague and haven't done a thing to raise our marketing awareness. Quit trying to be the "little Jerry Jones" of North Texas athletics.

Edited by DeepGreen
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

No disrespect cdizzle86, but why do we have to copy what other people are doing with their helmets and uniforms?

And to our thickheaded Athletics Director, RV, why the obsession with North Texas being spelled out across both sides of the helmet? Has it really raised awareness of our "brand", from a marketing standpoint? Rick, why not make 99% of your remaining fans happy and have the "son of worm" designed into the helmet? Have four or five designs posted on this message board and among the UNT students, let everyone vote on it, and may the best design win. Rick, give the fans, students and Alumni, what they want rather than what you want. The North Texas helmets look bushleague and haven't done a thing to raise our marketing awareness. Quit trying to be the "little Jerry Jones" of North Texas athletics.

It's just an idea. You wouldn't have known that I took the Boise State idea had I not told you. Anyways, that's beside the point. One thing that I have noticed is that Texas and Oklahoma have established their uniforms as simple and traditional. We have "tried" to do the same and it's ok, but it doesn't work because we don't have the history. We need to go with something a little more modern like TCU.

• Upvote 1

If you go with North Texas on one side and Mean Green on the other, then you might want to put 'see other side' disclaimers on the helmet.

I don't disagree. The reality is that" UNT "and an eagle or reference to an eagle won't fly.[pun intended]. Rick is trying to create a brand name out of "Mean Green" with no reference to the Eagles. I don't know if any of you caught the MAC championship game Friday night, but did you get look at the Kent State Flashes helment? Talk about a mess. I couldn't figure out what it was,went on line and discovered that they are actually the Golden Eagles whose mascot is named Flash. So I guess it could be worse. How would "SCRAPPY "look ?

'

No white helmet, unless it's a special third helmet. Id fill in the sow green though. North Texas has to go. It's a second rate look. Needs to be NT, Sow, eagle wings, number, or just a stripe. I'm sure nothing will change until there's a new Fb coach though. They should worry about figuring out a way to recruit and win and let Nike or some the fans on this board worry about the uniforms. Someone who has a clue about what they're doing.

So you want something different on each side? Not my first choice but better than what we have now. In fact, it kinda looks old school which would please McCarney. However, the white helmet is a big no-no for many on this board because of the Dodge years.

Not a fan of the white helmets for that exact thing, but this design is miles better than what we currently have.

• Upvote 1

Sorry, but this one is a really big miss for my taste. Almost has all of the qualities that I hate. Don't like the white and I HATE numbers on helmets even more than stickers. Not really a big fan of the wrap around eagle either. Keep the ideas coming though, since it's a long way until August!

Edited by meaniegreenie

1. Not a fan of the white helmet. As long as I can remember, we have always been green except when we went with the SLC look. I know there is another white helmet in our past, but I don't ever remember seeing it in a game.

2. Not a fan of the numbers on the helmet, that is why the players wear jerseys.

3. Not a fan of the S.O.W. outline.

4. I do like the uniforms and helmets posted recently.

Based on the area of the helmet that logos normally go, the SOW is kind of ill shaped unless you shrink it way down, rotate it, or create some sort of abstract version. Not an easy soution, although I would have 0 problem with the oversized interlocking NT proposed previously. It seems to meet the AD's requirements about promoting North Texas, no SOW, no UNT, updated design with retro feel, etc...

We should start a petition to see how much support it could get. Could create a page on GMG that displays the new option(s) along with the existing unis and let people vote on favorites. Notify the students and have them come to the site and vote or sign petition, etc...

It would be good way to make more students aware of GMG/drive more traffic and at the same time maybe catch the attention of the AD office. Just a thought.