It's time .. Fire him

UNT_Spark

I agree he is not the answer right now, but who do u turn to if we do fire him? And you know RV cannot be happy with him not talking to the media after losses. When you take a head coaching gig, you have stand up and be accountable when you lose. He needs to do what he can't get his players to do, STEP UP!!!

He will speak Monday. JJ did not always come out and talk. After the UTA game he was no where in sight. This is true for others as well throughout his career. I am sure Benford was all over his players including Tony for lack of effort and intensity. I thought that dunk would have brought Tony back, but instead he just turned the ball over. 5 fouls and 5 turnovers is not a good night.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I'm talking about what actually happens during a game... so let's dismiss lack of preparation and other outside factors, even though these may be very important in winning or losing the game at hand. And let's also put aside the obvious here... your opponent is simply much better than you.

A young coach asked an expert coach, "Our next opponent is better, bigger, taller, quick, plays great defense, with great shooters and ball-handlers, and they pass the ball well. What should I do?" The answer... "Lose".

We're not talking about that here. Here we are discussing two fairly evenly matched teams, either of which could win the game.

In a nutshell, here are the reasons we lost the game:

I agree with this! ...

Turnovers - Bad Decisions

Bad Shots

Lack of Defensive Pressure, Lack of Hustle

Not Blocking Out, Not Rebounding

Not Getting Back Defensively

Stupid Fouls

Failure to Play as a Team

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

All UNT had to do to win this game was to hit free throws like LaLa did....hit those free throws and it is a Mean Green win.

Don't see how that is on Coach Benford.

One could argue that "coaching" kept the game closer than it should have been and free throws should have been no factore, but that still does not negate the fact that if UNT players had hit free throws they would have won.

Tough loss....should have been a Mean Green "W" .... But for a ton of missed free throws that is.....

Dont know if you looked at the box score but LALA was 19-26 (73%) from the line while UNT was 20-28 (71%) from the line.. I wouldnt say that LALA was killing it from the line

I agree with the above^^^ Tony and Keith walked up the court and got dunked on without even watching their man or the ball. Evans was livid and both players just ignored him and acted like they knew better. I was very excited to have Colman but right now his court awareness is lacking. He cannot watch the ball move and his man at the same time.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Kram we shot 20-28 from the line. While 71% is not ideal, it is hardly bad. ULL shot 73% from the line. They missed seven...we missed eight. If you wanna say that we left too many points on the board, so did they.

I didnt see this post... but looks like were on the same page

Edited by Dr. Seuss

I'm talking about what actually happens during a game... so let's dismiss lack of preparation and other outside factors, even though these may be very important in winning or losing the game at hand. And let's also put aside the obvious here... your opponent is simply much better than you.

A young coach asked an expert coach, "Our next opponent is better, bigger, taller, quick, plays great defense, with great shooters and ball-handlers, and they pass the ball well. What should I do?" The answer... "Lose".

We're not talking about that here. Here we are discussing two fairly evenly matched teams, either of which could win the game.

In a nutshell, here are the reasons we lost the game:

Turnovers - Bad Decisions

Bad Shots

Lack of Defensive Pressure, Lack of Hustle

Not Blocking Out, Not Rebounding

Not Getting Back Defensively

Stupid Fouls

Failure to Play as a Team

We out rebounded them by 7, otherwise I agree. Another telling stat, 7 assists for us compared to 14 for them...on the same amount of made buckets. Tells me we are not getting shots off of ball movement...

Hard to argue with that. When Benford was hired he set some pretty lofty expectations for him and the team. Would LOVE to hear how he thinks those expectations are being met...

I'd love to hear what he has to say, too. But, he's too chickensh!t to come out and talk to UNT-paid staffers in the post-game show. Lack of heart, in addition to his lack of leadership. Pitiful.

• Upvote 4

Kram we shot 20-28 from the line. While 71% is not ideal, it is hardly bad. ULL shot 73% from the line. They missed seven...we missed eight. If you wanna say that we left too many points on the board, so did they.

Got it...8 points...don't disagree with the point of your post...but remind me....how many points did UNT lose by???? If I remember correctly is was quite a few less than 8. I got your point...mine is that the players also need to do their job...they did't tonight at the line....and that number you quote does not count the additional free throws UNT would have had ...had they been able to hit the front end of a one and one....both tonight and Wednesday. If you want to hold Benford and RVaccountable then you surely need to hold the players a tad bit accountable as well, no?

How many threes did UNT jack up and miss? How many lay ups were forced instead of bringing the ball back out and setting it up?

What bothers me is all this "this is all coaching" without any responsibility being leveled at the players.

But, I think folks know I feel this group is very underachieving at this point. So, I am going to bow out of this and future discusions. Appreciate all the views from those who have much more BB knowledge than I do. But, since the view I hold...and will continue to hold until I see a different result from this group of players....is apparently so different, it seems best that I just leave this whole discussion to all our "experts".

Oh, I'll be reading, but just reading stuff on this topic going forward. Thanks to all who have realized that this is an opinion board.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

Got it...8 points...don't disagree with the point of your post...but remind me....how many points did UNT lose by???? If I remember correctly is was quite a few less than 8. I got your point...mine is that the players also need to do their job...they did't tonight at the line....and that number you quote does not count the additional free throws UNT would have had ...had they been able to hit the front end of a one and one....both tonight and Wednesday. If you want to hold Benford and RVaccountable then you surely need to hold the players a tad bit accountable as well, no?

How many threes did UNT jack up and miss? How many lay ups were forced instead of bringing the ball back out and setting it up?

What bothers me is all this "this is all coaching" without any responsibility being leveled at the players.

But, I think folks know I feel this group is very underachieving at this point. So, I am going to bow out of this and future discusions. Appreciate all the views from those who have much more BB knowledge than I do. But, since the view I hold...and will continue to hold until I see a different result from this group of players....is apparently so different, it seems best that I just leave this whole discussion to all our "experts".

Oh, I'll be reading, but just reading stuff on this topic going forward. Thanks to all who have realized that this is an opinion board.

Now the expectation on the players is to hit 100% of the free throws? We also shot 45% from 3, so that really wasn't an issue tonight.

I'd love to hear what he has to say, too. But, he's too chickensh!t to come out and talk to UNT-paid staffers in the post-game show. Lack of heart, in addition to his lack of leadership. Pitiful.

Seriously? We result to name calling. Could you do a better job?

My point is this. Give the man a year! How did we get our expectations for this year? Yahoo news.... Ball is life videos.... Si articles.... We had a decent season last year, not great. Granted we had a ton of returning starters we lost our coach and all the players had to mesh.

Name one thing he did that was wrong tonight? This is not targeted at you but just in general for anyone who went to the game.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 5

"character"... What is it with people on this board and spelling? Correcting others grammatical erros some how justifies their lack of common sense when it comes to athletics (at times). This is not a post attacking you, but just a blanket statement. Let's stick to the facts as if we were having a discussion and not grading a dissertation.

Dude, one or two typos ... we all understand, but you can't string together a coherent thought without multiple errors. It damages any credible thoughts you could communicate. Not that you are ... but if you did.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

"character"... What is it with people on this board and spelling? Correcting others grammatical erros some how justifies their lack of common sense when it comes to athletics (at times). This is not a post attacking you, but just a blanket statement. Let's stick to the facts as if we were having a discussion and not grading a dissertation.

Ok, poor pitiful you that I corrected a glaring spelling error. Are you going to ignore the question about whether it's more important that Tony Mitchell builds character as preparation for entry into the draft or that Tony Mitchell help this team win?

Edited by eulessismore

Coaches are only judged on wins and losses

It's not fair , but it's just the way the sports world works

• Upvote 2

My point is this. Give the man a year! How did we get our expectations for this year? Yahoo news.... Ball is life videos.... Si articles.... We had a decent season last year, not great. Granted we had a ton of returning starters we lost our coach and all the players had to mesh.

Name one thing he did that was wrong tonight?

Just 1 thing? How about LOSING THE GAME!!!!!

The reason for the hype is bc we have a lotto pick on our team. Bc we made it to the Belt finals last year without our 2nd and 3rd best players playing most the season. That right there is where the expectations came from.

Seriously? We result to name calling. Could you do a better job?

Name one thing he did that was wrong tonight? This is not targeted at you but just in general for anyone who went to the game.

In a year, we may not have the NBA lottery pick any more ... I don't think we can give him a year. He was handed an SBC-championship caliber team and has done sh!t with them, for one.

For two, he's too big of a coward to simply walk out of the locker room to talk to the post-game radio show.

Could I do a better job? Probably not, but I don't think I could do any worse. For one, if I were the head coach, I may draw up my own plays. Last game, apparently, Chris Jones was drawing up plays. Tonight, we saw one of the assistants drawing up at least some of them.

The throw-in with three seconds left and down by two (or maybe three, I can't recall, we were within one score) ... his best playcall is a baseball pass down the court? Here's another, when Patton was getting hot, he pulled him out. When Tony was in foul trouble, he kept him in. When Tony was in foul trouble, instead of putting Keith or Nico in to help down low, he just subbed 'em in and out. Really? I'm a girl and I can call up at least a few things that he man is doing wrong ... not doing ... or doing poorly. Yelling 'shooter, shooter' over and over is not getting it done.

• Upvote 4

Ok, poor pitiful you that I corrected a glaring spelling error. Are you going to ignore the question about whether it's more important that Tony Mitchell builds character as preparation for entry into the draft or that Tony Mitchell help this team win?

I want him to help this team win. But right now he is pouting and getting frustrated. I would like to see Tony get a touch in the paint and hold the ball for a second and make a smart decision. You see this in the NBA with Kevin G. Or Dirk N. They catch the ball in/near the paint with their back to the basket. If they get doubled they pass it out. If not they make a one on one move. I have yet to see this from anyone but Roger on all team. We rush our decisions. You have 35 seconds and we we cannot even make an intelligent move. The last 25 seconds of the game sums this up. Jordan had a good look but Rogers put back was rushed. They needed to kick it out and play for the last shot to go to OT.

• Upvote 2

I am not sure if anyone can say he turns to the players for answers or has them draw up the plays. The assistant was probably Lundy and he is a great offensive coach from what I have read/seen.

I understand we should be a lot better then this. Trust me. I want to be better then this. But like KRAM I believe the players need to be held accountable at least as much as Benford.

• Upvote 2

Okay...no team is always gonna hit 100% from the line. But let's say we and ULL both do. I think we still lose. :P

We didn't lose this one because of poor FT shooting. This isn't Kansas versus Syracuse in the 2003 national title game.

• Upvote 1

Crucify me idc but I want him out.. We suck.. No way this team should be 3 and 5.. Absolute joke .. Embarrassing honestly

Embarrassing or not, we all need to get used to him, because they are not going to fire a coach here, in year 1. How long is his contract? Everyone should be upset with Rick - didn't he claim we would hire someone with head coaching experience?

• Upvote 2