Fun With Real Numbers

- UNT has only three players shooting better than 40% from the field...Roger Franklin (52%), Jacob Holmen (46%) and Tony Mitchell (46%).

- Only one player is shooting better than 40% 20% from 3-pt range...Tony Mitchell (56%)

- Alzee Williams leads the team in minutes...he's tied for 3rd in points, tied for 4th in rebounds, third in assists (6:0 A:T) and has committed just 1 foul

- UNT as a team has won the turn-over battle in their first 3 games and their 3 main ball-handlers all have positive assist:turnover ratios...Chris Jones (17:8), PJ Hardwick (10:4) and Alzee Williams (6:0).

- UNT has lost the rebounding battle in all three games...Tony Mitchell leads the team in rebounds with 28 (9.3ppg)...tied for second are Roger Franklin and Keith Coleman with 15 each (5.0ppg)

- Coleman has his 15 rebounds in just 39 minutes of game action (Mitchell 89min, Franklin 69min)

- Clarke Overlander is shooting 9% from the field. 9%. On the plus side he's shooting a better percentage from 3-pt range (10%).

- Justin Patton played 1 minute last night. That makes me happy.

Some conclusions:

Despite not showing too much on the offensive end, Keith Coleman is every bit the rebounding post we hoped he would be when he signed. Now he just needs to actually play. On a team struggling on the glass, his presence is desperately needed. Coleman could also improve interior defense and help keep Mitchell out of foul trouble by adding another big-body. I also believe that pairing him with Mitchell and Franklin would be a boon to the offensive end even if Coleman isn't scoring...Franklin could play more an offensive 4 and do his work 15 feet and in, while Mitchell, possibly the best 3-point shooter on a poor 3-pt shooting team could play more of the wing on offense.

UNT is taking care of the ball better and we're seeing more assisted buckets. I think we have 3 very solid guards...CJ and Alzee despite their shooting struggles, and PJ is going to be very good once he completely settles in.

Speaking of guards...Clarke Overlander is simply not ready for 13 minutes a night...he's not ready to play against the likes of Creighton...and he's not ready to be on the floor in crucial moments that could decide what proves to be a very embarrassing loss. I'd like to see UNT get up big quickly on Cameron and then give Clarke the 2nd half to find his stroke and confidence...run him off-screens and try and adapt to the speed of the college game. If he gets it going, perhaps he's serviceable for 5-10 minutes moving forward...if he can't get it going against Cameron, I've a hard time believing he can against anyone this season.

A player rotation would be nice...though I do fear this line-change substitution pattern is going to be the strategy moving forward. IMO...CJ-Alzee-Franklin-Mitchell-Coleman start. Yes I know Jordan is 2nd on the team in scoring, but he has been terribly inefficient in both his scoring (38% from the field, 20% from 3) and his decision making (5:9 A:T). He is the proto-typical 6th man. I think Holmen has played well enough to earn more minutes, though I want to see him on the glass more.

Last night, despite the fact that it was Lamar, restored a bit of faith for me. CJ and Alzee seemed to wake up...and while I still don't think Benford can coach, in the end, if we make it to December with just the 2 losses I think we'll have the record most expected at that point.

• Upvote 5

- UNT has only three players shooting better than 40% from the field...Roger Franklin (52%), Jacob Holmen (46%) and Tony Mitchell (46%).

- Only one player is shooting better than 40% 20% from 3-pt range...Tony Mitchell (56%)

- Alzee Williams leads the team in minutes...he's tied for 3rd in points, tied for 4th in rebounds, third in assists (6:0 A:T) and has committed just 1 foul

- UNT as a team has won the turn-over battle in their first 3 games and their 3 main ball-handlers all have positive assist:turnover ratios...Chris Jones (17:8), PJ Hardwick (10:4) and Alzee Williams (6:0).

- UNT has lost the rebounding battle in all three games...Tony Mitchell leads the team in rebounds with 28 (9.3ppg)...tied for second are Roger Franklin and Keith Coleman with 15 each (5.0ppg)

- Coleman has his 15 rebounds in just 39 minutes of game action (Mitchell 89min, Franklin 69min)

- Clarke Overlander is shooting 9% from the field. 9%. On the plus side he's shooting a better percentage from 3-pt range (10%).

Some conclusions:

Despite not showing too much on the offensive end, Keith Coleman is every bit the rebounding post we hoped he would be when he signed. Now he just needs to actually play. On a team struggling on the glass, his presence is desperately needed. Coleman could also improve interior defense and help keep Mitchell out of foul trouble by adding another big-body. I also believe that pairing him with Mitchell and Franklin would be a boon to the offensive end even if Coleman isn't scoring...Franklin could play more an offensive 4 and do his work 15 feet and in, while Mitchell, possibly the best 3-point shooter on a poor 3-pt shooting team could play more of the wing on offense.

UNT is taking care of the ball better and we're seeing more assisted buckets. I think we have 3 very solid guards...CJ and Alzee despite their shooting struggles, and PJ is going to be very good once he completely settles in.

Speaking of guards...Clarke Overlander is simply not ready for 13 minutes a night...he's not ready to play against the likes of Creighton...and he's not ready to be on the floor in crucial moments that could decide what proves to be a very embarrassing loss. I'd like to see UNT get up big quickly on Cameron and then give Clarke the 2nd half to find his stroke and confidence...run him off-screens and try and adapt to the speed of the college game. If he gets it going, perhaps he's serviceable for 5-10 minutes moving forward...if he can't get it going against Cameron, I've a hard time believing he can against anyone this season.

A player rotation would be nice...though I do fear this line-change substitution pattern is going to be the strategy moving forward. IMO...CJ-Alzee-Franklin-Mitchell-Coleman start. Yes I know Jordan is 2nd on the team in scoring, but he has been terribly inefficient in both his scoring (38% from the field, 20% from 3) and his decision making (5:9 A:T). He is the proto-typical 6th man. I think Holmen has played well enough to earn more minutes, though I want to see him on the glass more.

Last night, despite the fact that it was Lamar, restored a bit of faith for me. CJ and Alzee seemed to wake up...and while I still don't think Benford can coach, in the end, if we make it to December with just the 2 losses I think we'll have the record most expected at that point.

You conclusions are great and seem logical, too bad this team has been Benford'd.

Edited by glick1980
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Good stuff CBL. I agree most on our starting lineup and JW being the 6th man going forward. I had no clue Alzee's assistant to turnover number was that good. I wouldn't mind seeing him run the point more. Hell, he might be more than I think, but I can't always tell with the lineups changing so often.

Some conclusions:

I respect your opinion about Coach Benford, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Agree, with the majority of your comments. However, I do think he can coach. IMO, give the guy more than 3 games. Looking forward to catching a few of games in early December.

• Upvote 1

This is the part that kills me. I love having talented depth on our bench, but you still have to identify your best players and let them get the majority of the minutes. We need to be paired down to an 8 man rotation on a nightly basis (with guys like Overlander being phased out and used sparingly). These line changes and "new look Mean Green lineups" at every turn of the game are not going to cut it. Our best players have to be given a chance to play and grow together out there against live D1 competition.

• Upvote 1

Right now we should be running these guys in whatever order you want: CJ, Hardwick, Alzee, JW, Holman, TM, Franklin, and Coleman. No one else needs minutes at this point(Zoolander)

I have been impressed by Hardwick thus far.

I'd maybe add some spot minutes for Niko...he seemed to finish the Lamar game pretty strong. I noted we had a Niko-Holmen-Coleman front-court on the floor together at one point...that's an intriguing group of which I wouldn't mind seeing more.

I'd maybe add some spot minutes for Niko...he seemed to finish the Lamar game pretty strong. I noted we had a Niko-Holmen-Coleman front-court on the floor together at one point...that's an intriguing group of which I wouldn't mind seeing more.

Totally agree... when Mitchell is resting. Very intriguing.

What 3 is going to guard Niko/Holmen? Try to match up for size on those 3, and you risk bringing in some sluggish bigs. This would open up some slashing opportunities for our guards... which would/should also provoke fouls.

The numbers I'd like to see are average amount of time between substitutions and average number of players in or out per lineup change.

Plz & Tks

There aren't stat-keepers quick enough to keep up with such numbers officially, but I'd guess 46.2 seconds and 2.8 players/sub.

The AD is gonna need to increase the horn budget.

Early in the year is the time to play with lineups. I don't mind dropping a game or two here and there for late-season progress. I don't agree with line change style swaps but I don't think we pare down the rotation just yet.

Clarke should get plenty of run right now. Jordan had 5 turnovers against Creighton and two each in most recent games. I can live with 2 per game considering his attacking mandate. Chris Jones' 8? That is not cool.

Early in the year is the time to play with lineups. I don't mind dropping a game or two here and there for late-season progress. I don't agree with line change style swaps but I don't think we pare down the rotation just yet.

Clarke should get plenty of run right now. Jordan had 5 turnovers against Creighton and two each in most recent games. I can live with 2 per game considering his attacking mandate. Chris Jones' 8? That is not cool.

A chance to make a statement against Creighton is not the time to play with line-ups. When you're losing to a Division II it's not time to play with line-ups.