Is frustration mounting for UNT?

Harry

I’m starting to wonder if frustration is setting in for North Texas a little bit after what was said and heard during and after the Mean Green’s loss to Arkansas State last night.

Former walk-on wide receiver Darnell Smith had a big game. It just makes one wonder what the heck happened to all the players who UNT spent a lot of time and effort recruiting. McCarney was wondering the same thing after the game.

“He’s an unrecruited walk-on and all of the sudden he’s out there making plays on game days,” McCarney said of Smith. “That should inspire and motivate some guys on our team who are on scholarship and were recruited that did get opportunities and don’t do a damn thing for this football team. I would think a guy like Smith would motivate them.”

Read more: http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/2012/11/is-frustration-mounting-for-unt.html/

I'm starting to wonder if frustration is setting in for North Texas a little bit after what was said and heard during and after the Mean Green's loss to Arkansas State last night.

Former walk-on wide receiver Darnell Smith had a big game. It just makes one wonder what the heck happened to all the players who UNT spent a lot of time and effort recruiting. McCarney was wondering the same thing after the game.

"He's an unrecruited walk-on and all of the sudden he's out there making plays on game days," McCarney said of Smith. "That should inspire and motivate some guys on our team who are on scholarship and were recruited that did get opportunities and don't do a damn thing for this football team. I would think a guy like Smith would motivate them."

Read more: http://meangreenblog...g-for-unt.html/

I've made this point in defending Derek Thompson. Wide receiver is an area where walk-ons have suplanted scholarship players. What does that say?

Keep bagging on Thompson all you want, but a QB has to have guys who can run their route properly on a consistent basis so that the timing is right, and who will make plays after the catch. Thompson has only had that in one player - Chancellor.

We need WRs. We needs DTs.

We need everybody else to own up and show up.

If USA beats us next week....

• Upvote 5

I'm starting to wonder if frustration is setting in for North Texas a little bit after what was said and heard during and after the Mean Green's loss to Arkansas State last night.

"He's an unrecruited walk-on and all of the sudden he's out there making plays on game days," McCarney said of Smith. "That should inspire and motivate some guys on our team who are on scholarship and were recruited that did get opportunities and don't do a damn thing for this football team. I would think a guy like Smith would motivate them."

Read more: http://meangreenblog...g-for-unt.html/

I think it is. I listened to the McCarney's post game interview and he seemed to have a more frustrated tone then usual. He called out our defenders for not attacking and being out of position.

• Upvote 1

“He’s an unrecruited walk-on and all of the sudden he’s out there making plays on game days,” McCarney said of Smith. “That should inspire and motivate some guys on our team who are on scholarship and were recruited that did get opportunities and don’t do a damn thing for this football team. I would think a guy like Smith would motivate them.”

And this is why I have always favored having walk-ons come to spring practice and try out, rather than spend ships on WR's. Can anyone say Casey Fitzgerald?

• Upvote 1

just his wr recruits?

And QB recruit. Notice no s on the end of that last sentence.

But seriously. part of coaching on the college level is player development. If things are not CONSIDERABLY better next year, I doubt they will ever be under the current staff.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

How does that sentence read?

Results. Produce them in three, or no job for thee.

I think there's a difference. One coach sold us short, and basically hit the reset button on our program. We have got to at least get back to having equal players on schollys as every other d1 school. If any coach in any sport ever gets us into another situation where we aren't playing with a fully loaded gun scolly wise, they should be put on notice immediately. Things like that just shouldn't happen, and I'm surprised the athletic director let it.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

How does that sentence read?

Results. Produce them in three, or no job for thee.

Dodge won 3 games in his first two years, Mac has already won 8. Mac is well ahead of Dodge as far as progressing this program so a comparison between the two at this point is one-sided still. You're right about next year though. We should, and almost need to, start seeing some more results next year with a finally decent senior class.

• Upvote 4

I wonder if Mac's persona that seems to play so well with the fans and students works with the players? I know hearing him speak gets me fired up but you just don't see that fire from the team game in and out. When Chico took over he pulled out all the motivational bits he could think of and had that rag tag bunch playing above and outside of themselves. Watching this team the past 2 seasons I just don't get the feeling that almost anyone is out there playing above themselves. It would also speak to the extremely lackluster recruiting results during this period of time when you'd think we'd have as much to offer as ever.

Question, no info.

Edited by Green P1
  • Upvote 4

I wonder if Mac's persona that seems to play so well with the fans and students works with the players? I know hearing him speak gets me fired up but you just don't see that fire from the team game in and out. When Chico took over he pulled out all the motivational bits he could think of and had that rag tag bunch playing over their above and outside of themselves. Watching this team the past 2 seasons I just don't get the feeling that almost anyone is out there playing above themselves. It would also speak to the extremely lackluster recruiting results during this period of time when you'd think we'd have as much to offer as ever.

Question, no info.

You many have a point here...I would think the players recruited by coaches and staffs other than our current staff may indeed not relate to Coach Mac and Co. As much as the Coach Mac guys. That might be somewhat normal when a team is struggling a bit..don't know as I have never experiened this first hand. But seems to me to be more likely that some buy in more than others. I realize some get tired of this line, but I think we will all have your answer when the team is, for the vast majority, Coach Mac and company recruited players.

• Upvote 1

Next year will be critical for Dan McCarney. We have a favorable nonconference schedule and we're moving into Conference USA. We've taken a step back this year no doubt. Most of the Todd Dodge era recruits will be gone. This will be McCarney's team and the excuses of blaming the previous regime will be gone. McCarney will need to win 5 or 6 games next year to keep his job. 5 or 6 wins positions this team well in 2014 for a run at a bowl game. Anything less, and it's very possible McCarney and possibly Rick Villarreal are shown the door. The days of coaches getting 4 aqnd 5 years to turn programs around are gone.

A loss to South Alabama this week likely results in a 3-9 record and yes, I think panic could set in regarding whether or not this program is headed in the right direction.

• Upvote 2

A loss to South Alabama this week likely results in a 3-9 record and yes, I think panic could set in regarding whether or not this program is headed in the right direction.

Panic? No! Major frustration? Probably so!

But, not to worry....Mean Green Wins next week over South Alabama at Apogee on Senior Day.

The seniors have been through a good bit during their UNT careers. Let's do what we can to be there and to bring some friends...make it a big send-off for our seniors. They have earned that positive and big send-off. I have already got two folks coming that have never been to Apogee. I am going to be big time proud to show off Apogee and UNT to these folks. I am ALWAYS proud to show off the greatness that is UNT.

• Upvote 4