ULL Game Crowd

BadKarma

This year all the games have been severely undercounted, except maybe the Southern game. Last year they seemed heavily inflated. We had 22K for Southern, 25K for Troy and 20K for the ULL game.

Ticket staff counts attendance based off number of tickets and/or student ID badges scanned. I would bet more times than not we are scanning tickets not being used to make our season long D1 quota.

• Upvote 1

Ticket staff counts attendance based off number of tickets and/or student ID badges scanned. I would bet more times than not we are scanning tickets not being used to make our season long D1 quota.

There's absolutely no way they do. Telling me the attendance for Southern and Troy was the same? Please.

Students will graduate and buy tickets on the alumni side. You build a fanbase with the students. That's what's ocurring. Winning, we get the T-shirts. I'd rather have 17K rabid fans than 30K quiet fans like UH.

Edited by meangreener
  • Upvote 1

It is now a part of FR orientation to take all students to the field and to be addressed by the coach. Mac started that when he started here and it has been a pretty successful idea. By the time he does it for 4 years, every 80% of the students will be able to say that they have been inside the stadium during their time at UNT... That is a significant difference from previous sets of students over the years saying that they have been to Fouts.

that is a great idea, long over due. creates an emotional attachment to the coach, stadium, program. i like it.

• Upvote 1

There's absolutely no way they do. Telling me the attendance for Southern and Troy was the same? Please.

Students will graduate and buy tickets on the alumni side. You build a fanbase with the students. That's what's ocurring. Winning, we get the T-shirts. I'd rather have 17K rabid fans than 30K quiet fans like UH.

call up there, tell me i'm wrong.

• Upvote 1

All I know is, until the end, it looked great on ESPN. 17k or not. Bodes well for the future. 7 losing seasons and we've had 6K students for three games? Stunning. If you didn't notice, we filled up our section and students were sitting in the Wing zone. That hadn't happened since UH. We have a diehard core of fans, it's gonna get better.

Amen! Just busting your chops on the weather. I remember it could be in the 50's outside of the old Texas Stadium, but inside with all of the concrete it felt around freezing. It caught us off guard at the game last year at Apogee when the front blew in. My 5 year old shared my hoodie. Now I keep a container in my trunk with all types of North Texas gear for different weather.

The game looked great on television. Wish I could have made the trip in from out of town, but glad I was able to watch. The shots of the library, the UNT sign at North Texas Blvd., the ribbon cutting of the bridge, and the Athletic Center exterior and interior shots all looked great. The announcer with Andre Ware talked about all that has been done and Ware said the facilities were fabulous. The best shot was of the west facing of Apogee after dark. Looked awesome. Saving the best for last, the students looked and sounded fantastic.

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 4

Amen! Just busting your chops on the weather. I remember it could be in the 50's outside of the old Texas Stadium, but inside with all of the concrete it felt around freezing. It caught us off guard at the game last year at Apogee when the front blew in. My 5 year old shared my hoodie. Now I keep a container in my trunk with all types of North Texas gear for different weather.

The game looked great on television. Wish I could have made the trip in from out of town, but glad I was able to watch. The shots of the library, the UNT sign at North Texas Blvd., the ribbon cutting of the bridge, and the Athletic Center exterior and interior shots all looked great. The announcer with Andre Ware talked about all that has been done and Ware said the facilities were fabulous. The best shot was of the west facing of Apogee after dark. Looked awesome. Saving the best for last, the students looked and sounded fantastic.

I just think a lot were not expecting the cold. I was wearing shorts and a T-shirt and I was FREEZING. I do think this will spur the attendance back into the 20K range, a lot of positive buzz on campus around the team today. Never heard all the students talking about the game, but it's been that way in just about every class. Students will keep showing up in the 3-6K range, let's just hope the alumni attendance was just a result of Tuesday night at 8, because I feel like it was. It was late and I can barely stay awake today because of it. Our attendance has turned a corner.

• Upvote 1

well, it could have been worse... he could have been painted with the 'N'

We were joking about that the whole night lol. If he had been N or the T, we would have looked ridiculous AND retarded on national TV. Instead, we looked like a couple of loners who couldn't find a U lol. I'll take that over the other option any day.

• Upvote 1

Well...we can all second guess the count...but what i do know is that at 5:30PM Tuesday evening only 14,000 tickets had been sold or picked up by students. AND, that IS the official AD count as of that time. So, If another 3,055 students showed up and had their ID's swiped...that's not bad.

I know it looked and sounded larger, but the 17,055 is probably as near as correct as possible...given the 14,000 number at 5:30PM.

• Upvote 1

Students were great! To the 50% of the alumni side that left at halftime: you missed a great game!

Long way to Tyler in the middle of a Tuesday night given a wake-up time of 5 am to go to work.. At least I made the effort to attend for as long as I could.

I hated to leave early but I had no choice - I am sure others were in similar situations, especially on the alumni side.

It seems to me they really do not need to be chastized for the decision they felt they needed to make.

• Upvote 3

Think students/alums were going to leave at halftime because it was a Tues night. It is near mid-term time. Everyone is busy. Alums are always busy with kids and work and complaining and whatnot. Now, Nov 3? That should be a well-attended event throughout.

All in all this was a success.

Cracked me up - thanks for the laugh!

• Upvote 1

Students showed up, alumni (and I'm one of them) are just making excuses. Maybe next time they won't leave early. It's one weeknight. Wing zone promo probably sold about 100 tickets. Too bad. Good game, big win for the boys. The pedestrian bridge was pretty cool too. See ya at the next one.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

For those who wonder why so many on the season ticket side of the stadium left at half time, the couple next to me had to leave as the babysitter was only booked until 11pm. Only some of us can drink ourselves stupid tailgating and still get up at 6am for work - or live in dorms on campus so we can sleep just 10 minutes away from the game and still be up on time for the first lecture of the day (unlucky if they are 8am starts).

Yeah - we are all old farts making use of our UNT degrees to have careers and keep our jobs in hard economic times to pay our bills and keep our homes.

Boring? You bet. That's more like real life after you graduate.

Don't bitch about it - be happy that we got a win out of the evening and that TXA21 covered The Hill activities and that ESPN were showing us in a good light nationwide.

Just be thankful we are not like some schools where you have to pay hundreds of dollars to enter a lottery for tickets.

At least for UNT if you pay a small amount of money, you will get into a game.

I make use of my degrees and got up at 6 AM to go to work. Don't lump me in your group.

• Upvote 1

All things considered I thought the crowd was great and loud. When I saw the replay on TV it sounded a lot better than other Belt games on a the Tues night ESPN2 broadcast. Can't really complain with the outcome given it was a Tues night with kickoff being 8:15pm. It's tough when you have real life to deal with sometimes.

I make use of my degrees and got up at 6 AM to go to work. Don't lump me in your group.

Ok. That's fine. I didn't say ALL, I did say "many" and "some" needed to leave early. Also some of us are a little bit older and less able to sit there in the wind...

Whatever. We are going to be from all over on this one, some able to stay and not worry about it (and just in their late 20's so they can handle the relatively cool and windy conditions) right through to the over 70's for whom it was a nightmare after 30 minutes.

Here is something for those interested in counting crowd numbers...

When we got to the gate, only one of our three season tickets was scanned OK. The lady doing the scanning said that several of the entry people were having trouble with their hand held scanners on Tuesday evening. She just waved us all in, so I also think that 17k is an underestimate.

Edited by bjrichus
  • Upvote 1