Troy Message Board Predictions on UNT Game

Harry

I believe overall they have a much more rational group commenting there than on the Belt board. There is a group of primarily Troy and ULL fans that seem to have really taken NT going to CUSA and not their team really hard.

Silly but at least it will make this season more interesting.

The ONLY fan groups that have any room to complain about UNT over their respective school would be WKU & MTSU. Check the Bubas Cup standings every year. It's WKU & MTSU flip-flopping for the cup & 2nd, then UNT finishes 3rd. All the time.

I believe overall they have a much more rational group commenting there than on the Belt board. There is a group of primarily Troy and ULL fans that seem to have really taken NT going to CUSA and not their team really hard.

Silly but at least it will make this season more interesting.

A few Arkansas State folks have also been throwing darts.

Edited by MeanGreen61

I will say I'm not one of those. CUSA is a great fit for North Texas and I think you'll succeed there. I just don't think its a good fit for Troy anymore. Two or three years ago, I would have jumped at the opportunity. The sunbelt is gaining steam, and I can't say for sure that CUSA is also advancing. That's not a flame. Geographically, and in terms of money/exposure/bowls you guys made the right decision. I just think at this point it may be best for Troy's situation to stay put for the time being.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I will say I'm not one of those. CUSA is a great fit for North Texas and I think you'll succeed there. I just don't think its a good fit for Troy anymore. Two or three years ago, I would have jumped at the opportunity. The sunbelt is gaining steam, and I can't say for sure that CUSA is also advancing. That's not a flame. Geographically, and in terms of money/exposure/bowls you guys made the right decision. I just think at this point it may be best for Troy's situation to stay put for the time being.

so you're saying that Troy is too good for CUSA!?!?

OFF WITH HIS HEAD ADMINS!!! This man shall be banned from anymore posts on this site!

just kidding! I can't wait to play more local road games. You're right. it wouldn't make as much sense for Try.

• Upvote 3

They really expect Troy to win this game. Do they not realize we only have lost 2 games in Apogee?!?!

I think it could go either way. It looks like you're 5-2 at home. I'll agree that looks pretty good, and we may not win. But lets look at who you beat:

1. 1-11 Indiana

2. 1-11 FAU

3. 4-8 ULM

4. 2-10 MTSU

5. Texas Southern, the 100th/122 ranked team in FCS.

Losses to Houston and WKU. Understandable, they are good teams. You have wins over the two worst (by a large margin) teams in the SBC, an 11 loss Indiana team by 3 points, a 4 win ULM team, and in week 2 this year the cuppiest and cakiest of all cupcakes to be had. So it's not like you guys are baller at Apogee. You're pretty good, but not unbeatable. It will still be a very tough game for Troy. I suspect Brelan Chancellor will have at least two TD's. That guy is FAST.

Edited by TroyTrojan
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Who is "Rowell" from a Troy point of view ?

Depends on who you ask. I don't think he's as bad as the fans make him out to be. But he hasn't been good over the last four years either. I liked him better in 05-08 when we had really good defenses. If we win Saturday it will be because of 600+ yards of offense, which isn't out of the question based on how we've played the first three games. If you really do mean "who" is rowell, he's our DC.

But we have only lost twice in the history of apogee in ever and ever!?!?!

We were 24-0 in home openers. Louisiana was 0-21 in road openers. They beat us. Records can be broken.

Edited by TroyTrojan
  • Upvote 2

Depends on who you ask. I don't think he's as bad as the fans make him out to be. But he hasn't been good over the last four years either. I liked him better in 05-08 when we had really good defenses. If we win Saturday it will be because of 600+ yards of offense, which isn't out of the question based on how we've played the first three games. If you really do mean "who" is rowell, he's our DC.

We were 24-0 in home openers. Louisiana was 0-21 in road openers. They beat us. Records can be broken.

Do you REALLY think your team will be able to put 100 more yards on us than LSU???

Do you REALLY think your team will be able to put 100 more yards on us than LSU???

Here's a counter argument: You don't think we'll put up more yards than LSU. I don't think we'll put up less yards than we did against an SEC defense. And lets not kid ourselves, neither of our defenses are nearly as good as MSU's or LSU's.

Also, in 2008, North Texas played both LSU and Troy. Here is the yardage:

Troy: 547 yards vs North Texas

LSU: 425 yards vs North Texas

So yes, it is possible to put up more yards than LSU.

But as many have alluded to, our teams are largely unknown. I would also suspect that the LSU playbook was not fully opened, they would not prepare for you the same way they would for Alabama, Tennessee, or Florida. LSU could have dropped 700 to 800 yards on almost any mid major in the country. We had 570 yards against who is now #23 Mississippi State turning the ball over four times. They didn't turn it over once. If we didn't turn the ball over, we'd have had well over 600 yards. But again, if and butts candy and nutts. We didn't get it done. And I'm sure MSU didn't take us very seriously, as is the case when big teams play SBC schools. So really its hard to look at how we played against big teams and say "we're gonna be good."

Edited by TroyTrojan
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

We may, we may not. Again, our teams are largely unknown. But I would suspect that the LSU playbook was not fully opened, the would not prepare for you the same way they would for Alabama, Tennessee, or Florida. LSU could have dropped 700 to 800 yards on almost any mid major in the country. We had 570 yards against who is now #23 Mississippi State turning the ball over four times. They didn't turn it over once. If we didn't turn the ball over, we'd have had well over 600 yards. But again, if and butts candy and nutts. We didn't get it done. And I"m sure MSU I'm sure didn't take us very seriously, as is the case when big teams play SBC schools.

Heck. I've seen enough Mean Green football over the past few seasons... it honestly would not surprise me if you guys did it.

If your defense is sitting in a cover 2 though, I don't know that your offense will get to see the field enough to try and rack up that many yards... the Mean Green will simply eat up clock with short gains. We'll see on Saturday.

Here's a counter argument: You don't think we'll put up more yards than LSU. I don't think we'll put up less yards than we did against an SEC defense. And lets not kid ourselves, neither of our defenses are nearly as good as MSU's or LSU's.

But as many have alluded to, our teams are largely unknown. I would also suspect that the LSU playbook was not fully opened, they would not prepare for you the same way they would for Alabama, Tennessee, or Florida. LSU could have dropped 700 to 800 yards on almost any mid major in the country. We had 570 yards against who is now #23 Mississippi State turning the ball over four times. They didn't turn it over once. If we didn't turn the ball over, we'd have had well over 600 yards. But again, if and butts candy and nutts. We didn't get it done. And I'm sure MSU didn't take us very seriously, as is the case when big teams play SBC schools. So really its hard to look at how we played against big teams and say "we're gonna be good."

547 yards is ALL you put up on us in 2008? That was maybe the best of the Troy teams playing the absolute worst NT team in 100 years.

We're gonna crush you guys!

If our special teams don't crap the bed and DT doesn't resort to the form he showed against TSU...

• Upvote 2

I like this guy. I think his new name should be RL2Greatness.

Edited by UNT 90 Grad

You troy people, we are playing in Apogee!! we don't lose home :thumbsup:

North Texas certainly has a great record at Apogee, and you don't lose to bad teams at home, I'll give you that. The FBS teams you've beaten at home are a combined 8-40 and you've beaten a 4-7 bottom feeding FCS team this year. Home field advantage is not going to decide this matchup. I'd say we're probably better than any team you've beaten at Apogee. My guess is Brelan Chancellor will have a big game. That guy ran away from the LSU defense. Playing ball control really is your best bet, we've been beaten in the past before using that method (ULM in 2008). I'm not sure how good your pass rush is, but that'd be a big key to the game as well. You can't give Corey Robinson time to throw.

• Upvote 1

North Texas certainly has a great record at Apogee, and you don't lose to bad teams at home, I'll give you that. The FBS teams you've beaten at home are a combined 8-40 and you've beaten a 4-7 bottom feeding FCS team this year. Home field advantage is not going to decide this matchup. I'd say we're probably better than any team you've beaten at Apogee. My guess is Brelan Chancellor will have a big game. That guy ran away from the LSU defense. Playing ball control really is your best bet, we've been beaten in the past before using that method (ULM in 2008). I'm not sure how good your pass rush is, but that'd be a big key to the game as well. You can't give Corey Robinson time to throw.

You can you use all the stats and contingency match ups you want. If you want to use that logic, we are better than last year and beat you guys at home with a less than .500 team in the last game. 4 and 5 year old stats are pretty meaningless. Actually, most stats are meaningless unless its fantasy football. This is the last time we will see you guys for a while and it will be fun to watch.

Additionally, you can't give any QB time to throw. Not just your guy.

I hope y'all do really well this season after Saturday!

• Upvote 1