Breaking news -- UNT lands QB Brock Berglund

Brett Vito

Sounds like he'll probably only have 2 years starting next fall. So we ultimately see him for one season after DT graduates? Though I expect this kid did not come here expecting to sit next year, I have a hard time believing he'll be able to beat out DT. We still need to land another good QB in the upcoming class.

• Upvote 1

Sounds like he'll probably only have 2 years starting next fall. So we ultimately see him for one season after DT graduates? Though I expect this kid did not come here expecting to sit next year, I have a hard time believing he'll be able to beat out DT. We still need to land another good QB in the upcoming class.

Shouldn't he have 4 years left to play 3?

• Upvote 1

He has at a minimum 3 to play 3... He might have 4 to play 3 but it sort of depends. Remember the issue with him going to JC was he would not have been eligible to play immediately at a 4 year because of transfer rules. Knowing that he was in a battle at JC he probably decided go ahead get to Denton and practice with the team to be prepared for the Spring training. After leaving Kansas he has to either sit out or go to a juco. If I was to guess I would say he has 3 to play 3.

It is confusing partially because he graduated high school in December. Surely, spring training isn't considered a year and last season another year. Last season was further complicated by the fact that Charlie Weis wouldn't release him as he did the former starter. And, I don't see how a few weeks of JC can cost another season of eligibility when he enrolled here the same semester. My unguaranteed prediction is that he has 4 to play 3.

Edited by GrayEagle
  • Upvote 1

This is why this excites me. I've always thought that if you get one or two really solid guys to buy-in, it makes it easier to bring in several more because you can sell the "be a part of something special" bit and have something to point to as proof. I don't know whether or not this guy is that piece, but it sounds good, and for that, my Mean Green pants are a little tighter today.

Brock's signing caused you to gain weight or did you wash your Mean Green pants in hot water and they shrank?

• Upvote 2

If he has 3 to play 3, does that include this year that he has to sit out? I would think it is 3 to play 3 after this year? You have 5 to play 4, right? He didn't play first year at Kansas, then sitting out this year. That leaves 3 more years to play after this sit out year.

Not winning the starting position at JC is a concern, but I like the fact he decided to enroll now. He has this year to practice with the team learning the playbook. Next year, I could see him playing behind DT getting some experience here and there and then taking over after DT for his last 2 years.

But can he beat out McNulty? lol

• Upvote 1

Spain evidently was not the only competition and it appears they had a battle going back to the Spring which would be before Berglund had arrived:

Former Desert Vista quarterback Cody Sokol turned an impressive stint at Scottsdale Community College into a scholarship to Iowa, and now multiple well-known East Valley signal callers are trying to do the same.

Former Notre Dame Prep quarterback Jordan Gehrke is already at the school and threw five touchdown passes in the program’s spring game on Friday, his dad, Ted, said.

Higley quarterback Eric Kump and former Paradise Valley quarterback Kevin Spain are also expected to compete for the starting spot next season, which was vacated by Sokol. Spain is transferring in from Hawaii, the school he committed to out of high school. Paradise Valley coach Donnie Yantis said Spain would be back in Arizona in a couple weeks.

read more: http://blogs.evtrib.com/varsityxtra/2012/04/30/prominent-e-v-quarterbacks-battling-at-scottsdale-cc/

Final thought -- Berglund probably got lured into the Scottsdale opportunity because a). it gave him a chance to play right away and their last QB Cody Sokol ended up getting a full ride scholly to Iowa. Thankfully for us he came to his senses and realized that he had a LOT better opportunity to play at North Texas even though he would have to sit out a year. I think the misperception some are having is that Scottsdale is just another junior college and it's not -- they place a fair amount of players at high level programs. I think the timing did not work out in his favor and am glad he chose North Texas! GMG!

Spain evidently was not the only competition and it appears they had a battle going back to the Spring which would be before Berglund had arrived:

Former Desert Vista quarterback Cody Sokol turned an impressive stint at Scottsdale Community College into a scholarship to Iowa, and now multiple well-known East Valley signal callers are trying to do the same.

Former Notre Dame Prep quarterback Jordan Gehrke is already at the school and threw five touchdown passes in the program’s spring game on Friday, his dad, Ted, said.

Higley quarterback Eric Kump and former Paradise Valley quarterback Kevin Spain are also expected to compete for the starting spot next season, which was vacated by Sokol. Spain is transferring in from Hawaii, the school he committed to out of high school. Paradise Valley coach Donnie Yantis said Spain would be back in Arizona in a couple weeks.

read more: http://blogs.evtrib....-scottsdale-cc/

Just for clarification, That Notre Dame is a prep high school in Arizona.

He did not attend the South Bend Notre Dame.

He was a 2012 grad with no scholarship offers.

I hope this wasn't Brock's only competition.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1