North Texas Launches Social Media Rewards Program

All About UNT

http://www.meangreen...TCLID=205587597

"North Texas athletics has announced the launch of a new social media fan engagement program where fans can show their support for the Mean Green and each individual team through a combination of in-game social media campaigns, engaging teams on social networks and earning rewards through the Mean Green Rewards program.

Developed in partnership with Lodestone Sports, the leader in social media programs for college sports, fans receive points for participating in social media activities such as 'liking' Facebook posts, commenting, sharing, tweeting hashtags, re-tweeting, watching a Youtube video, checking in on Foursquare or Facebook, scanning student cards or posting photos and taking in-game polls with Social Stadium Twitter promotions."

now commence the moaning and groaning by older guys who don't use Facebook and Twitter and how they feel left out and how horrible the AD is and how they don't care.

To expand on this... the rewards include:

Dinner and VIP treatment with head coach at the Coaches Show

VIP pre-game locker room experience and Floor or Bench Seats to a men’s basketball game

Autographed ball by both head coaches and marquee players

also it allows you to purchase hats, posters and t-shirts with your points you accrue along the way. I think that this is a great idea and that they will get a great amount of response off of this.

Back in my day we didn't need at this Facespace and Mybook crap!!!! And who cares how many twats you can send during a game...you should be watching the damn players instead of you high-fallootin' phone!!

I will twat like a fiend if it means I get free crap.

i would think that this would really get the students involved. i could give a rats ass about social media, but kids these days are all about it. good for the university to progress...

now for the countdown until the negative posts from people that say this alienates the older fans that don't do social media...

Edited by THOR

Well, I'm an older fan that does very little social media and I'm not opposed to this program. I'll earn very few points since I can barely use my Facebook account and don't have a smartphone. But, anything that reaches the students and the younger crowd and gets them to react is great in my book. Finally, the marketing and promotion people on the AD staff are getting something going and I applaud them for it.

• Upvote 3

Sounds good to me. Like GrayEagle, this is not a program I'll be much involved in at all, but I like that it is doing something positive to engage our more "social media" types...which, of course, includes our student population. I see nothing to be negative about here, and see it as a way our Athletic Department is reaching out to our fan base.

Hmmm. I wonder if the could do some sort of elective GPS program that would recognize if a student's cell phone was within the glorious confines of Apogee at an undisclosed time during the games, making them eligible for more points or some sort of reward. It's the hi tech, lower labor version of Emmit's idea.

They need to create some kind of social media program or option on Facebook where you check in from a physical location to assure attendance? Anyone have any info on such a technology or if it exists? I bet it's pretty new-fangled and scary.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Hmmm. I wonder if the could do some sort of elective GPS program that would recognize if a student's cell phone was within the glorious confines of Apogee at an undisclosed time during the games, making them eligible for more points or some sort of reward. It's the hi tech, lower labor version of Emmit's idea.

It's a good idea, but cell phone GPS's can be a bit unreliable and screwy, unless all options on a smartphone for GPS services are turned on (on mine there are 3 options, google map GPS, Verizon GPS, and standard GPS), and it drains the hell out of your battery if you do that. With my phone I just have the google GPS allowed at all times, and it's accurate within like a half a mile of my location and has a habit of skewing a bit east. If I turn all 3 on for any reason, it's accurate to within the room I am in, but it really drains battery and data.