It's been quite a while since the Mavs have had a good draft...in 2003 they took Josh Howard at the end of the first round, since their first round picks have been Maurice Ager, B.J. Mullins (turned into Roddy B.) and Jordan Hamilton...not exactly successful selections.

This year's draft is very deep...I think the Mavs should find a '12-'13 starter with the 17th pick tonight. So...who you got?

Names I've seen in the mid-to-late teens:

Jeremy Lamb SG UCONN

Austin Rivers PG/SG Duke

Terrence Ross SF Washington

Meyers Leonard C Illinois

Terrence Jones PF Kentucky

Perry Jones III PF Baylor

Kendall Marshall PG UNC

Royce White PF Iowa State

Marquis Teague PG Kentucky

Moe Harkless SF St. Johns

Arnett Moultrie PF Miss State

Andrew Nicholson PF St. Bonny

Personally, I think the best player in the lot is Royce White of Iowa State...he is the second coming Antione Walker, but with shot-selection and a strong work-ethic...problem is White battles some severe anxiety issues...he'd be a sure fire lottery pick if his head were 100%, but I think he's a huge risk even in the middle of the 1st. If he falls out of the first, I hope Donnie pieces something together to make a move up to get get him in the second round.

White not-with-standing, if that entire group is sitting at 17 (which it won't be) I think I lean toward Lamb...he's a smooth scorer with a much improved perimeter game...reminds me of a Stephan Curry/Rip Hamilton hybrid.

• Upvote 1

They can definitely get a good player and even a guy who can start if they draft right. I hear the most buzz out of Royce White and Arnett Moultrie but I don't know just a ton of all those names you listed. Either way they have to hit on whoever they draft. They've taken too many draft flyers and unknowns the last decade or so.

What's the plan if they don't land Deron Williams? That still seems like a coin toss, at this point. If they don't land him, what's the backup plan at PG? Take Rivers or Marshall? Might be a forced insurance pick....unless they are eyeing another vet to sign/trade?

If Williams opts to stay with the Nets then Kidd will be backing him up. There are options in free agency with Dragic and Nash out there. And look this is the first off season Roddy is healthy and we know he has some mad skills...You can always role the dice and have him take over the PG reigns because his upside is still very high and someone who can still learn to become a true PG. If they trade I'd like to see if they can work out a deal to maybe get Eric Maynor from OKC or Eric Bledsoe from the Clips.

Sulli's top side is Rodney Rodgers/Matt Bonner, IMO... serviceable, but there is better to be had at 17

If his back's fine I think you're low balling his top side a bit...

Part of me wants P3 based on potential alone but again, I have no faith in the Mavs finding themselves a contributor.

Edited by Green P1

He's skilled, and I didn't include him my potentials list earlier today b/c every mock I saw him in had him gone in the 8 to 12 range...I do question whether he's gonna be strong, agile, tough enough for the NBA...especially on a team without a shot-blocker or enforcer-type at the 4

19743.jpg

Jared Cunningham

Smells like a big meh to me.

Chad Ford calls it a home-run.

I know nothing about the kid that I didn't learn in the past 10 minutes...to me, he looks like a thin, volume shooter (could just be a product of playing for a mediocre team) with a low 3pt percentage (could be a product of his needing to be a volume shooter) with some serious athleticism who can play some lock-down d from the 2