UTEP AD Bob Stull Speaks

Harry

UTEP and Louisiana Tech were Western Athletic Conference rivals from 2001-04. We have also played Charlotte, Florida International and UTSA in basketball in recent years, so there’s some familiarity with those schools as well.

While we are excited about all the new additions to C-USA, we are particularly thrilled that the league will maintain a footprint across the state of Texas. Our alumni in Dallas, Houston and San Antonio will still have the opportunity to watch our teams play, and it is important for recruiting that we have a presence in those areas.

Conference USA and Mountain West presidents and chancellors announced earlier this year that the two leagues would be forming an alliance in 2013. There has been a lot of speculation about what form the alliance will take, with everything from a straight merger to a revenue-sharing model being discussed. The fact is, nothing has been determined to this point but conversations are still taking place. It will be interesting to see how this all shakes out in the coming months.

In the meantime, it’s clear that Conference USA is as strong as ever, and we’re excited about the future of UTEP Athletics.

Read More: http://www.elpasoinc.com/lifestyle/local_features/article_c0c8dfaa-a220-11e1-916d-001a4bcf6878.html

We know not everyone stays for the band.

You know there are people who stay to watch the band.

Post is kinda pointless, IMO, and makes you look like an ass. I know you're not.

Aren't fan message boards pointless? I know what I said makes me look like an ass, but what I said is true. Most people outside of Denton and El Paso (heck, even in them) wouldn't think of each school's marching band as being terrific, true or not.

• Downvote 1

Aren't fan message boards pointless? I know what I said makes me look like an ass, but what I said is true. Most people outside of Denton and El Paso (heck, even in them) wouldn't think of each school's marching band as being terrific, true or not.

Oh no you didn't!!!

• Upvote 2

As both of the Marching Band Directors are mentors of mine (and they're friends too)... I would not want to miss that first half-time between the two bands.

It will literally be one of the most epic half times ever.

Edited by Rudy

Aren't the bands the ones that get us excited before the games and the reasons so many schols have such rich football tradition?

Yes, yes they are. I remember the 1997 Rose Bowl halftime show like it was yesterday. And who could forget the 2003 Alamo Bowl pre-game extravaganza?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Most people just see it as part of the pageantry, with little remembrance. I can give you that.

But there are moments that stick out.

Like when the Green Brigade teamed up on the field with TTech to play American the Beautiful at Texas Stadium, following 9/11.

Or the 2001 NO Bowl, when CSU and the GB rolled out the flag used in Super Bowls that is shaped like America, and stretches the length of the field, also done in remembrance.

Dr. Feagin, director of the Marching Miners, was one of - if not the - first to finish his doctoral degree under Dr. Williams at UNT. It might not end up being a post-9/11 memorial level thing, but I think there are more than a few people with interest in seeing these bands share the football game festivities.

All I'm saying is, there is a line somewhere that divides the "Most people appreciate what you do, but I'm heading to the hot dog line" crowd vs. the "No one gives a flying ef.". And I would sure appreciate it if dance on it carefully, since that's where you seem to stand.

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 1

I remember Toby Gowin warming up kicking footballs into the Texas A&M Marching Band. Very funny. Or John Baker punting footballs into dancing kids on the field dressed like mariachis at NMSU. Priceless.

I personally don't watch halftime shows. It's pee time. Its simply the honest, hygenic, decision of a beer drinker to not pee pee his britches.

Kalebschumann said "It would literally be one of the most epic halftime shows ever", I would bet serious cash our band's musicians are more talented. Furthermore, I bet UNT's Marching Band Director would defeat UTEP's Marching Band Director in single combat every time.

Edited by UNTexas