UNT's Starting BBall Lineup...

Someone may have already posted about this, if so, my bad....

With P.J.H. just signing, what do you guys think are starting lineup will look like this fall?

1. Jones

2.?

3.?

4. Mitchell

5.?

sixth man:?

Thats all i got. This is going to be absolutely nuts... we really do have a lot of talent!

GMG!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Knowing the Sun Belt officiating they wouldn't notice us having 6 on the court.

I don't believe this has been brought up yet about the move to CUSA that is HUGE is the officiating!

Sun Belt is dreadful in Football and BBall.

Can't wait for better officiating in 2013

• Upvote 3

Until Odoh attends his first UNT basketball practice I fear counting him as part of the team. I'm also figuring that our odds for a very raw juco player being effective at this level is slim (even when surrounded by a massive amount of talent). I sincerely want the guy here and to be succesful but there are so many unknown variables that we might be spinning our wheels with another tall center who lacks basketball instincts that quits after a couple seasons.

I was one of the many that wanted to see Tony on the perimeter playing the 3 last season but his defense is so valuable under the basket that we might be in big trouble with nobody to replace it. If Odoh is not ready (or not at UNT) I see him staying at the 5.

In my perfect world...

1. CJ

2. AW

3. Tony

4. Roger

5. Odoh (dependable for 10-12 rebounds and 3-4 blocked shots per game... teams would be terrified to drive the lane if Tony was at the 4)

I don't believe Alzee is the most talented to play that position but he's earned it. I would love to see him continue to prove me wrong (like he does about every game) and end up with his name in the rafters. We don't see many highlight reel's with him but he's always efficient and reliable.

Yes, I saw Roger's statistics the last several weeks of the season. I don't care... stil my favorite and you can't change my mind. So what if this puts all our rebounders on the floor at the same time.

In a realistic world, I'm thinking we might see something like this (if Benford tells everyone on board that they are fighting for their job and years of service dont matter - otherwise, expect a lot of AW and Holman in the starting lineup)...

1. CJ

2. PJ

3-a. JW

3-b. Tony

4-5. Odoh

• Upvote 1

It's entertaining to me that nobody has Patton in their first five. He might be the most forgotten, talented, player on this team.

Agreed. I think the starting lineup will look something like this.

G - CJ

G - PJ or Alzee

F - Jordan

F - Patton

F - Tony

I know everyone has Odoh penciled in to start, but I'm going set my expectations pretty low when it comes to him, and hope that he surprises me. If he was good enough to be a sure-fire starter, he would have had a lot more offers. I think he's going to be a project. But after that, you bring in Walton, Roger, Holmen, Trey, and Niko off the bench. This team is deep. Juggling minutes should be a fun task for Coach B, but that's a good problem to have.

• Upvote 3

It's entertaining to me that nobody has Patton in their first five. He might be the most forgotten, talented, player on this team.

If he's eligible (and it looks like he will be), he's starting at the 3. Possibly the 2.

Just my guess.

Based on his past stats, I would like to think that Patton will start alongside TM down low with Odoh mainly coming off the bench for defensive purposes. The thing is, I missed that Grambling game at The Pit and have not yet seen much of him.

How would you describe his game? Not that he's destined to be an NBA Hall of Famer, but would you say his style of play is a little along the lines of a Scotty Pippen? At least that is how I saw his game described on a website somewhere.

Of course Odoh vs. Patton vs. whomever starting could at times be based on matchups among other things. Patton, Mitchell, and Odoh going at the 3/4/5 against some of our bigger opponents (i.e. KState) has the potential to be interesting.

• Upvote 1

Funny, even though NT had 13 on scholarship with the coaching change and academic status of some, they are no guarantees who will be here in the Fall. Tony Mitchell IMO is the only player that will definitely start. My guess is that the starters will be if not the first game early will be:

Odoh - hopefully he is the inside presence that NT needs to complete this team

Mitchell

Alzee Williams - best all around player on the team not named Mitchell

Jones - This guy is a star and if it were not for Mitchell would be NT fans most talked about player

Patton - Been out a year and is still a mystery, but I think he could be a very good inside player, better defensive and rebounding player than Franklin, Niko or Holmen

Heavy minutes

Jordan Williams - if he can improve his shot selection and shooting and slow down his game a little could be all conference good

Walton - Shooting improved throughout last year, and he is a lot tougher than thought

Holmen - Hot at end of year and if he can continue that pace, he will be a starter

Hardwick - Will get a lot of point minutes

Going to have to fight for minutes

Norris - Will have to battle Hardwick for back up point

Niko - I like his offensive game, seems to stay in Jones' dog house: maybe out of the picture, or may get a better chance with Benford

Franklin - Team leader but as tweener it is going to be tough getting playing time

Overlander - Handicapped by playing out of position in high school, could develop into a good wing with zone buster shooting

Robinson - Sky the limit, but going to have to get a lot tougher to get minutes on this team next year

• Upvote 1

This WILL BE the starting lineup game one.

CJ

Alzee

Jacob

Mitchster(half Mitchell Half Monster)

Big John

I think the ball is in Jacob's court to hold the starting spot as a 4 year senior but I wouldn't be shocked to see Patty or Jordan force their way in down the road.

Edited by Green P1
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Funny, even though NT had 13 on scholarship with the coaching change and academic status of some, they are no guarantees who will be here in the Fall. Tony Mitchell IMO is the only player that will definitely start. My guess is that the starters will be if not the first game early will be:

Odoh - hopefully he is the inside presence that NT needs to complete this team

Mitchell

Alzee Williams - best all around player on the team not named Mitchell

Jones - This guy is a star and if it were not for Mitchell would be NT fans most talked about player

Patton - Been out a year and is still a mystery, but I think he could be a very good inside player, better defensive and rebounding player than Franklin, Niko or Holmen

Heavy minutes

Jordan Williams - if he can improve his shot selection and shooting and slow down his game a little could be all conference good

Walton - Shooting improved throughout last year, and he is a lot tougher than thought

Holmen - Hot at end of year and if he can continue that pace, he will be a starter

Hardwick - Will get a lot of point minutes

Going to have to fight for minutes

Norris - Will have to battle Hardwick for back up point

Niko - I like his offensive game, seems to stay in Jones' dog house: maybe out of the picture, or may get a better chance with Benford

Franklin - Team leader but as tweener it is going to be tough getting playing time

Overlander - Handicapped by playing out of position in high school, could develop into a good wing with zone buster shooting

Robinson - Sky the limit, but going to have to get a lot tougher to get minutes on this team next year

okay but based on what you've said.... if we've just added PJ then who's left behind? who"s cut?

This WILL BE the starting lineup game one.

CJ

Alzee

Jacob

Mitchster(half Mitchell Half Monster)

Big John

I think the ball is in Jacob's court to hold the starting spot as a 4 year senior but I wouldn't be shocked to see Patty or Jordan force their way in down the road.

who's your sixth man? is Trey automatic or is PJ taking his spot?

who's your sixth man? is Trey automatic or is PJ taking his spot?

Your sixth man is purely situational with this roster. On any given night it's JW, Frank, Patty, or straight out of Compton. Trey would be one of the few guys I wouldn't look to be the sixth man.....

Based on his past stats, I would like to think that Patton will start alongside TM down low with Odoh mainly coming off the bench for defensive purposes. The thing is, I missed that Grambling game at The Pit and have not yet seen much of him.

How would you describe his game? Not that he's destined to be an NBA Hall of Famer, but would you say his style of play is a little along the lines of a Scotty Pippen? At least that is how I saw his game described on a website somewhere.

Of course Odoh vs. Patton vs. whomever starting could at times be based on matchups among other things. Patton, Mitchell, and Odoh going at the 3/4/5 against some of our bigger opponents (i.e. KState) has the potential to be interesting.

Guess I'll commit the ultimate sin by replying to my own post, but does no one around here know anything about Patton's game other than his past stats at other schools? Guess not, or someone would likely give a brief synopsis on why he should start at the 3 (or 4) over the multitude of other qualified candidates. Oh well. I tried.

• Upvote 1

Guess I'll commit the ultimate sin by replying to my own post, but does no one around here know anything about Patton's game other than his past stats at other schools? Guess not, or someone would likely give a brief synopsis on why he should start at the 3 (or 4) over the multitude of other qualified candidates. Oh well. I tried.

His basketball credibility to me is no different than Overlander at this point. We really need to see him play with the rest of the squad before any type of determination can be made. The only reason I had an unproven/unknown Hardwick starting in a scenario from my previous post was because he is a *Benford Recruit*. I think Patton would have to blow the coaches away in practice to earn a role since he didn't play last year and is a transfer.

• Upvote 1