New UNT Coach Rob Evans

I got an opportunity to visit with Coach Evans at the press conference today and let me just say this guy is so impressive... I am thrilled to know that he will be reunited with Coach Benford who is like his son (they are both from Hobbs New Mexico... get ready this basketball program is going to really start hitting all cylinders with the team Benton is putting together. If you don't know about Coach Evans, he was an assistant under Gerald Myers at Texas Tech and helped to convince Tony to play there. This is around the same time sharpshooter Bubba Jennings was there for those like me that followed the Southwest Conference back in the day. Anyway, Coach Evans has had a great career as both an assistant and a head coach, as a head coach he led Mississippi (SEC) to the NCAA tourney twice and then later led Arizona State to the second round. What's even more interesting about this hire is both SMU and TCU wanted him and would have paid him much more than we could. SMU in fact has a major connection with him because their president Gerald Turner was a teammate of Coach Evans at Lubbock Christian and helped him to land the head job at Ole Miss. Anyway, this is great news for North Texas fans and bodes well for the future that we were able to land a coach and man of his caliber to be a part of the staff.

Great news, strange, but great news. :startle:

What might turn out the most beneficial from this move is the “comfort zone” that this could put Coach Benford in. Having someone like Coach Evans beside him can only help.

Edited by El Paso Eagle
  • Upvote 1

this is really good news! this will give coach benford a experienced head coach to bounce ideas off on the bench, which will make his learning curve a bit smaller. plus, we stole him from a big xii school! excellent news!

i guess he's got one more hire to make to get his staff of 4?

• Upvote 1

Tell me...just tell me...who can deny or poo-poo the great things ahppening at UNT anf for UNT athletics these days? The addition of Coach Evans makles so much sense. I had my doubts about UNT landing Coach Evans, but this si going to be very good for the basketball program and wil really help Coach Benford and the entire squad. GREATNESS!

The AD is stepping up big time these days folks...time to put the petty BS behind us, come together and support...big time this program. NO MORE EXCUSES!

I knew this was going to happen as soon as UNT made it known they wanted him. If you were paying any attention you would have known that SMU's staff has been full since the day Larry Brown was hired. The only position that SMU had open on their staff was an non-recruiting administrative role and let's be honest you don't hire Evans for that role. I didn't think there was much of a chance of TCU keeping him with the staff turnover. The new TCU coach does things differently from everyone else in college basketball. Coach Evans is a great coach and everyone that meets him loves him. He is a great get for UNT.

• Upvote 1