Regents delegate authority to Rawlins to move conferences

Harry

gallery_1_88_172309.jpg

The North Texas board of regents delegated authority to president Lane Rawlins to examine the school's options in conference alignment and quickly move to a new league should the opportunity present itself Wednesday night.

The vote took place during a specially called teleconference.

Rawlins declined to address UNT's conference alignment or the potential for the school to move to a new league on Wednesday afternoon.

UNT has been a member of the Sun Belt Conference since 2000. The school was previously a member of the Big West.

READ MORE: http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/archives/2012/04/regents-delegate-authority-to.html

This post has been promoted to an article

Let me add this clarification, since the NT Daily tweet was a little misleading... The BOR has delegated the authority to move conferences to Dr. Rawlins.. so this is not that we have been officially invited to Conference USA but it gives Dr. Rawlins the authority to accept the invitation if it is extended.

That aside - it is a very encouraging development! GMG!

Let me add this clarification, since the NT Daily tweet was a little misleading... The BOR has delegated the authority to move conferences to Dr. Rawlins.. so this is not that we have been officially invited to Conference USA but it gives Dr. Rawlins the authority to accept the invitation if it is extended.

That aside - it is a very encouraging development! GMG!

Let's be honest, the offer is on the table and the BOR has to do this for us to accept. The tweet was misleading and incorrect, but in a sense by doing this they opened the door for us to join. Can't wait for the official announcement!

• Upvote 2

What is interesting to me is the part about- should an offer come Wednesday night. Seems like things are moving fast and could happen at the end of the night, no? Why could they not wait till the next business day in order to do this?

Think you read that wrong (actually, you read it right, Vito wrote it wrong). It should have said "Wednesday night, the BOR authorized Lane Rawlins to move quickly if new conference membership comes available (paraphrasing, but you get the gist).

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 2

I have no doubt that C-USA will make the "official" announcement... just like the process with nearly every other realignment that has been made the last two years.

This. The offer has been extended through back channels and will be offically extended soon. Now Rawlins can offically negiotate and accept the invite.

NT Daily issues correction:

The North Texas Daily received information Wednesday night from a source saying the UNT Board of Regents had authorized a move from the Sun Belt Conference to Conference USA.

The Board of Regents, in a meeting Wednesday afternoon, only gave President V. Lane Rawlins authority to look at other athletic conferences. The Board of Regents did not approve a conference move.

The Daily strives for accuracy and regrets this error.

How in the hell am I supposed to administer the STAAR test with all this news? I'm going to write C-USA all over the white board when I walk in....they are going to think I've lost it.

lol... I was thinking the same thing. That is a long time to have my phone off.

• Upvote 1

Formalities...formalities, folks. It's a DONE DEAL...CONFERENCE USA here we come! When a very high placed source...VERY HIGH placed...tells you..."we will not be in that conference long (SunBelt) and that we will soon be playing the likes of Rice and Tulsa...then the next day the BOR authorizes our president to "review" conference membership and authorizes him to seek a change...should he desire to do so...IT'S OVER! The fat lady is warming up in the next room for her debut signature event....BUT, the formalities must take place...no way this vote happens without the cards being in place for the move.

BOOK IT DANNO! Done, over, finished, complete...let the announcements start flowing!

It's a great time to be GREEN! One has to thanks RV, Dr. Rawlins and the BOR for all their hard work in getting so many positive things going for UNT in recent times...it is definitely TIME and the Mean Green is ready! THE TIME IS NOW!

Just sitting around doing nothing while all the other universities get into better conferences...I THINK NOT! Thanks RV, thanks Dr. Rawlins and thanks to all who helped make this all happen. GREATNESS for the Mean green nation. The time is NOW!

• Upvote 6

the NT Daily News facebook page said this exactly,

Breaking News: board of regents has approved a move to CUSA.

then they said

Correction: blah blah blah.

It's definitely going down!!

• Upvote 1