Merger or Sharing- Either way CUSA-MWC Work Together

MeanGreen61

I think a scheduling partnership similar to what the Pac-12 and Big Ten recently announced (NY Times article) would be in the best interest of both the MWC and C-USA. A full merger today could see no expansion for a 16-team conference while a "partnership" between the two could lead to both conferences expanding to 24 teams between 2 conferences, each with 6-team divisions. 8 openings would not only guarantee UNT receiving an invite to the MWC, but regional rivalries throughout the two conferences. Each team would play a 5-game round robin in their own division, 2 cross-division games, and 2 interconference games (one team from each division).

• Upvote 2

If the merger doesn't pan out and the two remain separate in whatever capacity, I believe the better fit for UNT (if we are invited anywhere) would be Conference USA. The Sunbelt has been good to us, however, Conference USA offers us more in the way of getting people involved. Rice every year would be great. Tulsa, UTEP, ect... They are closer to Denton.

Conferences were meant to unite regional teams in order to breed competition, rivalry, and maybe some fun for everyone involved well before ESPN began destroying college sports.

• Upvote 3

If the merger doesn't pan out and the two remain separate in whatever capacity, I believe the better fit for UNT (if we are invited anywhere) would be Conference USA. The Sunbelt has been good to us, however, Conference USA offers us more in the way of getting people involved. Rice every year would be great. Tulsa, UTEP, ect... They are closer to Denton.

Conferences were meant to unite regional teams in order to breed competition, rivalry, and maybe some fun for everyone involved well before ESPN began destroying college sports.

I agree. I don't think that the average "joe six-pack" North Texas fan prefers the Mountain West over CUSA. They just care that we regularly play opponents with some name recognition (Florida-who?)..... and that most out of town conference games are reachable by a day drive in the car. And toward that end, I would hope that if we are invited to C-USA, that LaLa and Texas St. are also invited.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

I agree. I don't think that the average "joe six-pack" North Texas fan prefers the Mountain West over CUSA. They just care that we regularly play opponents with some name recognition (Florida-who?)..... and that most out of town conference games are reachable by a day drive in the car. And toward that end, I would hope that if we are invited to C-USA, that LaLa and Texas St. are also invited.

At the very least, give us a reason to travel to an away game. I mean, what's going on in Troy Alabama?

At least in the MWC you get to go to Las Vegas, Ft. Collins (Home of New Belgium Brewery!), and for you rich folks: Hawaii!

• Upvote 2

At the very least, give us a reason to travel to an away game. I mean, what's going on in Troy Alabama?

At least in the MWC you get to go to Las Vegas, Ft. Collins (Home of New Belgium Brewery!), and for you rich folks: Hawaii!

You should go to LaLa sometime and party with those Cajuns. It'll almost make you forget Vegas.

• Upvote 2

You should go to LaLa sometime and party with those Cajuns. It'll almost make you forget Vegas.

You got that right, Silver.

I went to LaLa for the first time this past football season and those folks are something else - unbelievable tailgating and many of the tailgaters almost mugged Kram and me trying to give us beer and food.

Many of the LaLa folks would just stop us, both before and after the game, and simply thank us for coming to Lafayette and the game.

I can only dream that someday our tailgating atmosphere will match LaLa's.

GMG

• Upvote 1

Ft. Collins (Home of New Belgium Brewery!)

...and Odells, and Fort Collins Brewery, and Coopersmith, and Equinox, and Funkwerks, and Pateros Creek...also a Budweiser brewery on the outskirts of town for those with more conservative beer tastes. NB is my favorite though...took a tour last month and tried a chocolate chili beer...can't say that I'll ever try that one again.

For my own selfish gain, I hope we go the MWC route or at the very least, play AF, CSU, and/or WYO on a regular basis.