Keystone Pipeline Decision

Bad idea. And, Mr. O has himself in a bit of a box here between two of his biggest supporting groups...the environmentalists and Big Union. Of course he blames it on Congress..just when has this guy taken responsibility for anything of substance? But, it will be interesting to see what the "final answer" is on this deal...when it comes, we'll know who has more influence over this President...big union Money or big environmental money.

Loved the "Gee, guys, I'm killing this thing right now because Congress didn't give me enough time to study it". What? Like it hasn't been around to study long????? And, like you don't have legions of staffers who do the "study" for you on every issue...just like every President? Really, you want us all to believe that?

Just make a decision, tell us why and go on down the road. That's your job....you can play politics with it during the campaign for gosh sakes....

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

It depends on your perspective.

I will say that I don't believe it would have been the insanely massive job creator they were claiming.

And, on the other hand...probably not the massive environmental disaster the environmental activists are claiming either...just to be fair here.

My biggest issue is that the State Department hired a company that was in bed with TransCanada to do the environmental assessment. Until there's a more neutral study I think it should have been rejected. I think as long as there are measures in place to keep it environmentally sound like the Alaska pipeline is, it shouldn't present a problem there.

It depends on your perspective.

I will say that I don't believe it would have been the insanely massive job creator they were claiming.

Funny considering Pelosi in SF Transit extension of 1.5 miles would generate 45K in jobs yet a 1000 mile long pipeline would not even create 2K. Love how politics somehow always replaces common sense

• Downvote 1

With his decision to placate the environmentalists over job creation, purchasing energy from a friendly nation that would help the US get off the Arab oil tit, and in once again, blaming someone else (this time Congress) for his decision, Obama has certainly created a nice political issue for the 2012 campaign. Great job, Mr. Prez...."Obama the jobs killing President"...I can see it now! Ha! Ain't politics great? It even trumps job creation in one of the worst economies in US history and it trumps finding another way to reduce the US reliance on Arab oil.

Way to play politics over the best interests of the nation as a whole! Let's all talk a good game about reducing the US reliance on Arab oil as we can while acting in an entirely different manner. Well played, Mr. Prez!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

• 3 weeks later...

once again, blaming someone else (this time Congress) for his decision,

Ain't politics great? Way to play politics over the best interests of the nation as a whole! ... Well played, Mr. Prez!

I'm confused. Congress did not set an unreasonably short time-limit for review? Congress didn't do this to set up the political catch-22 you describe? I don't believe you're so naive as to think congressional Republicans weren't playing politics with this issue. They put the president in a no-win situation.

Long-term it's no big deal. Trans-Canada will resubmit the application. It will be reviewed with due-diligence. It will almost certainly be approved in some form. A form that will certainly be better than the original proposal.

As for putting politics over the best interests of the nation - you're projecting.

I doesn't matter where the oil comes from, Goldman-Sachs is going to trade it 50 times before it is used making its price double. Goldman-Sachs has run the US Treasury for over 20 years. When they are out of the White House I may trust this country, until then I trust no one. And the pipeline would have only created temp jobs.

--- Sunday's Midland paper [ we are in oilfields] claimed it was more about the route of the pipeline than anything.. They claimed there were better routes and not just for evironmental reasons... jobs too in places that needed jobs... doubt Midland oilmen were very upset about it... it might help the price of oil out here stay up and keep jobs here in Texas. Not really said but route may have been somewhat politically motivated on the route proposed. .

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66