Per Wall Street Journal: Coaches Poll Is Corrupt !

PlummMeanGreen

http://blogs.wsj.com...DS=coaches+poll

The Big Boys are going to kill the goose that laid "THEIR" golden eggs eventually IMO. Somewhere/sometimes the courts are going to have to get involved with their greedy little run away train.

North Texas (and many others similar) main problem is that were not part of this elite little football country club back in the 30's, 40's and on up.

Noticed Grant Teaff refused to comment on the subject since he's getting his bread buttered by the accused.

GMG!

PS: Hardly a La Tech fan because of their arrogance, but it is a bit strange that they are not ranked higher than just a few votes.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Downvote 1

I think this is not a big deal. Any common sense would tell you that having participants voting for themselves is going to cause issues like this. However, it's common nature for coaches to think more highly of their team than others do. It's human nature to think more highly of the teams the coaches have see rather than a team from across the country that they haven't played recently.

Since the coaches' poll and the AP polls generally are close I don't see any wide spread corruption in the vote. I think any problems mostly come from human nature - which, again, is to be expected.

I think these guys wasted a lot of time researching something most folks already knew.

I think this is not a big deal. Any common sense would tell you that having participants voting for themselves is going to cause issues like this. However, it's common nature for coaches to think more highly of their team than others do. It's human nature to think more highly of the teams the coaches have see rather than a team from across the country that they haven't played recently.

Since the coaches' poll and the AP polls generally are close I don't see any wide spread corruption in the vote. I think any problems mostly come from human nature - which, again, is to be expected.

I think these guys wasted a lot of time researching something most folks already knew.

It this article had come from the National Enquirer, I would agree that it would not be a big deal, but it came from the Wall Street Journal who don't normally print fluff in their high distribution newspaper.

And what the hell, we do need some new threads for discussion on this board from time to time as my own and others do tend to get a bit stale?:rolleyes: Well viewed most of the times but still...stale.

And.... how many more days can we really post or care that North Texas is giving 4 free tickets away to staff and faculty? Just sayin'....

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

It this article had come from the National Enquirer, I would agree that it would not be a big deal, but it came from the Wall Street Journal who don't normally print fluff in their high distribution newspaper.

And what the hell, we do need some new threads for discussion on this board from time to time as my own and others do tend to get a bit stale?:rolleyes: Well viewed most of the times but still...stale.

And.... how many more days can we really post or care that North Texas is giving 4 free tickets away to staff and faculty? Just sayin'....

GMG!

Helmet stickers are always a valid topic.

Those of us who've been around a long time remember when a certain amount of "corruption" in the coaches poll benefited NT. Hayden Fry voted us #2 or #3 - voting us #1 would get flagged even then. Since there were fewer coaches voting, His single vote ridiculously high vote got us started on the then UPI Coaches poll. After you make the list, other coaches just look at if you won or lost to decide the lower ranking and we got as high as (I think) #18 that season.

I'm sure Hayden did not really believe we were really #2 or #3 but voted anyway to benefit his team.

I don't think the two are exactly the same. Other reports have shown that head coaches really don't pay any attention to teams outside their own conference or not on their schedule, so they are probably less qualified to vote in a national poll than your average avid college football fan.